Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 New England Super Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would. Logan should have a bunch of slow chargers (3 kW or so). A SC there wouldn't be useable by any travelers, or likely by anyone in the city either. I'm betting on a parking garage one either at the Common garage or Govt center.

actually, a Supercharger wouldn't be bad, because everyone would just use regular parking during their travels, then use the Supercharger to get enough juice to get home, instead of hogging a plug for days or weeks at a time.

Reactions: PeterK
What I find especially interesting is the apparent major policy shift. The announcement overtly recognizes that some people will use the Supercharger network for local charging as opposed to long distance travel. So apparently no more philosophy that Superchargers are only for long distance away from your local area.

I noticed that bit as well. Guess they are giving in to trying to come up with a way to prevent it.

Excited to see one on the Cape in Orleans!

No more wondering if you can make it to the bridge...
If you can make it to Mashpee, there are 3 HPWC @ Mashpee Commons (2 @ 80A, one @ 48A). I used them last week when I was nearby and didn't have enough to get to Sagamore.

I noticed that bit as well. Guess they are giving in to trying to come up with a way to prevent it.
IMHO, charging for power solves much of the problem, since the freeloaders will be less interested. Now they just need to add a sliding scale to the idle charges to penalize those who really overstay their welcome.

Beverly MA??

There has been a lot of opinions on where Tesla would add another eastern Mass service center/store. Rumors seemed to focus mostly on the north shore with others mentioning the Nashua area.
By including Beverly and Lynnfield in the list my guess is that one of these will be some combination super charger location, store/service center or possibly one of the new delivery centers Tesla has recently touted.

First look at Tesla’s new ‘delivery center’ concept and ‘group delivery’ service

Freeport Maine, not Portland/SoPo is back on the forecast map which will enable travel around the populated part of the state. Still no way to go between mid-Maine and Quebec without a non-SC DC fast charge, no way to get to Houlton or Presque Isle. The Canadian Maritimes are apparently not on maps made for Californians.

• Funny
Reactions: SureValla
Freeport Maine, not Portland/SoPo is back on the forecast map which will enable travel around the populated part of the state. Still no way to go between mid-Maine and Quebec without a non-SC DC fast charge, no way to get to Houlton or Presque Isle. The Canadian Maritimes are apparently not on maps made for Californians.

even if Tesla doesn't get to it soon, you'd have to think with that many more vehicles on the roads, establishments would start clamoring to be part of the Destination Charging program. Your business will pop up on the Nav system of a few hundred thousand vehicles whose occupants can afford at least a $35,000 car?

sounds like a solid investment to me.

My only concern about Freeport, ME is traffic. Can get really bad. But otherwise it's a good location since it helps cover both I-295 and US-1 I'd certainly welcome it if I get a Model 3, because it'd take care of winter round trips to Portland or South Portland.

My only concern about Freeport, ME is traffic. Can get really bad. But otherwise it's a good location since it helps cover both I-295 and US-1 I'd certainly welcome it if I get a Model 3, because it'd take care of winter round trips to Portland or South Portland.
Freeport Crossing would be good;, Dunkies, Shaw's, easy access to both major roadways, near but not in downtown. L2 for outlet town shoppers.

even if Tesla doesn't get to it soon, you'd have to think with that many more vehicles on the roads, establishments would start clamoring to be part of the Destination Charging program. Your business will pop up on the Nav system of a few hundred thousand vehicles whose occupants can afford at least a $35,000 car?

sounds like a solid investment to me.

Once it gets to volume, perhaps.
In the CMP area a medium business pays $10.63kW or $11.23/kW July and August.
So, for each 40A charger, if destination charging adds to peak, then 240V x 40A charging would add $101 or $107 per month in destination charges. And of course there's additional electricity cost, which would vary from about 5c/kWh to 9c/kWh.

So, how much will the charger be used?
And how much will it cost the business to install, manage and maintain the charger?
How much should they charge for use, to cover their costs?
And if every business does it, will it even be a competitive advantage?
And if people have long-range BEVs, what businesses and how many customers will consider it worth hosting destination charging?

I can see it happening but I think that there are limited types of businesses for which it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
Once it gets to volume, perhaps.
In the CMP area a medium business pays $10.63kW or $11.23/kW July and August.
So, for each 40A charger, if destination charging adds to peak, then 240V x 40A charging would add $101 or $107 per month in destination charges. And of course there's additional electricity cost, which would vary from about 5c/kWh to 9c/kWh.

So, how much will the charger be used?
And how much will it cost the business to install, manage and maintain the charger?
How much should they charge for use, to cover their costs?
And if every business does it, will it even be a competitive advantage?
And if people have long-range BEVs, what businesses and how many customers will consider it worth hosting destination charging?

I can see it happening but I think that there are limited types of businesses for which it'll be worth it.

If they're somewhere that serves food, and in an area where they could be a previously under-covered waypoint between Superchargers, it would be to their advantage.

Wondering where the SC in Natick will go? There is a charger, non SC, in the parking garage. Wonder if they will replace those with the SC?? If so there could be problem with current fleet cars charging there a lot. Will talk to Natick employees soon.

I hope there is some good sleuthing on where the Downtown Boston charging will be. ;)

Slightly on topic- but I had a tech to the house last week to see about a crossbar rattle. We were chatting while we were driving waiting for the rattle to appear.

He lives in RI (but works at Dedham.) I asked him if there were plans to open a service center in RI or SE MA, since I see so many Teslas on Acquidneck island and know so many people with Model 3 reservations here.

He said that at the SC, they have a map pinned with all the model 3 reservations in the area. (I'd also presume S/X owners are shown or known as well.) And that based on that, he thinks eventually one will come. He asks every time a big wig is at the SC but hasn't gotten an answer.

Point is, they are very cognizant of where reservations are....and hopefully will be planning accordingly. The supercharger expansion plans were revealed as I would have expected with the upcoming Model 3 onslaught. Hopefully new SCs will be announced as needed, as well.

...The Canadian Maritimes are apparently not on maps made for Californians.

Until 2015 about 50% of the Atlantic provinces were cropped off the N.A. Supercharger map, so you may be onto something.

On the 2016 map (released in 2015) they did project something in Woodstock, New Brunswick, but then removed it. Very odd.

Of the twelve new projected Eastern Canadian sites in 2016, Woodstock was one of six that did not get done. So, going forward you would think it would be in the top six in priority. Yet, now Woodstock isn't even among the over thirty new sites listed as coming soon to Eastern Canada.

I hope there is some good sleuthing on where the Downtown Boston charging will be. ;)

Slightly on topic- but I had a tech to the house last week to see about a crossbar rattle. We were chatting while we were driving waiting for the rattle to appear.

He lives in RI (but works at Dedham.) I asked him if there were plans to open a service center in RI or SE MA, since I see so many Teslas on Acquidneck island and know so many people with Model 3 reservations here.

He said that at the SC, they have a map pinned with all the model 3 reservations in the area. (I'd also presume S/X owners are shown or known as well.) And that based on that, he thinks eventually one will come. He asks every time a big wig is at the SC but hasn't gotten an answer.

Point is, they are very cognizant of where reservations are....and hopefully will be planning accordingly. The supercharger expansion plans were revealed as I would have expected with the upcoming Model 3 onslaught. Hopefully new SCs will be announced as needed, as well.

"Charging Is Our Priority", except customer priorities may vary, especially the farther away one lives from eastern MA or Milford CT. Interesting to learn that an old fashion pinboard may decide our future service center fate!

Last edited:
"Charging Is Our Priority", except customer priorities may vary, especially the farther away one lives from eastern MA or Milford CT. Interesting to learn that an old fashion pinboard may decide our future service center fate!

I agree, as a future model 3 owner I think I'd rather see the map of where all the new service centers are going rather than super chargers, however I have one 20 min from home so I'm not as concerned as your average reservationist.