Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.5 Arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They clearly are rethinking the walk-up unlock but NOT the fob-less nature. In fact walk-up unlock is a separate thing from fob-less as you could theoretically do walk-up unlock with a fob, as well.
I know, we all (S and X) have walk up unlock and it's an option (you can turn off Passive Mode). And the 3 had it before and they got rid of it instead of making it optional (from what I'm gathering). I don't see exactly why.

My X does nothing when I get near with a fob except flash her lights. I have mirrors manually folded, so, no motor wear and tear, no side-effects. Doors are also on manual (don't want doors opening into traffic), and of course the 3 doesn't have that issue.

What exact issue was fixed by remove auto-unlock totally and not making all the cars as close to each other as possible? Or am I missing some major point here? Very confusing.

We're close to configuring my GF's 3, and this sort of 'weirdness' is hard to get our heads around after six months with an X! :D

I’ve had the backup camera show up as all black at least two time since the 10.5 update. Happens when the backup camera window first shows up on the screen. It goes back to normal pretty quickly though. I’ll file a bug report in the morning. Anyone else experience this?

I’ve had the backup camera show up as all black at least two time since the 10.5 update. Happens when the backup camera window first shows up on the screen. It goes back to normal pretty quickly though. I’ll file a bug report in the morning. Anyone else experience this?

That's not a new issue to 2018.10.5. I saw it happen plenty of times in 2018.4.9 and haven't yet seen it happen with 2018.10.5. Thought it might have been fixed but since you've seen it, guess not.

Looks like the Tesla will follow a strong right line as though it were a left line, leading to crashing into barriers:

Tesla owner almost crashes on video trying to recreate fatal Autopilot accident

-Randy
Speculation here, but it appears that the physical lane geometry (vs painted striping or poor attempt there of) is confusing EAP. I would suggest that this ALSO is true for human drivers. The biggest difference is that EAP does not seem very good at recognizing the dangerous gore point which is fairly well marked. Human drivers who are also confused by the lane markings seem much better at recognizing that the upcoming gore point is "bad" and are more appropriately stopping! My $0.02. Scary video.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
What exact issue was fixed by remove auto-unlock totally and not making all the cars as close to each other as possible? Or am I missing some major point here? Very confusing.
In the Model 3 it seemed to be doing quite a bit triggering off the proximity. When it got out in the "real world" this seems to have created unintended consequences for some customers because of what appears to be increased range. This was probably a retreat to what they considered a "safe spot" to minimize those service call generating issues.

They seem to be still dialing in proper behavior in the field, I expect more changes to come as they work that out.

Reactions: boaterva
Speculation here, but it appears that the physical lane geometry (vs painted striping or poor attempt there of) is confusing EAP. I would suggest that this ALSO is true for human drivers. The biggest difference is that EAP does not seem very good at recognizing the dangerous gore point which is fairly well marked. Human drivers who are also confused by the lane markings seem much better at recognizing that the upcoming gore point is "bad" and are more appropriately stopping! My $0.02. Scary video.
Agreed. EDIT: Would this be a bit like the "dive for the off-ramp" that AP had a tendency to do before, except to the left rather than the right?

At the bottom this is another variant of the "stationary objects" problem. Long term they may need to complement with LIDAR to satisfactorily put that particular problem to bed for proper FSB....but I expect we won't see a LIDAR on Tesla vehicles for a few years, when they drastically drop in cost. Which is inevitable and perhaps even soonish: Why experts believe cheaper, better lidar is right around the corner

Once you can get price down to $100/unit you can install 3, at the front corners and mid-back of the roof line so not even requiring a [air drag creating] tower, and get great coverage for IDing stationary objects. However LIDAR still gets dodgy in fog/snow/rain** and you're better off the more you can handle without out it. That, along with cost, is what I suspect is driving Musk's current path.

There is an alternative path for fixed point stationary objects. The Supercruise path of modeling the world but that doesn't handle relatively mobile stationary objects (parked vehicles for example) or recent changes, such as new construction.

EDIT: ** It is still improving on that, as LIDAR signal detection/processing algorithms are improving. This is part of why I expect you'll want two, offset sweeps covering the front. Driverless cars have a new way to navigate in rain or snow Two sweeps should greatly improve accuracy/speed at which you can pull out the true signal from the precipitation induced noise. You'll also potentially be able to partially see "around" the edges of objects that would otherwise fully block view, without having to raise height with a tower.

Last edited:
Do we still like Lidar after Uber's issues last week?
Uber's issues appear to be Uber related. :p

FWIW Uber heavily reduced their LIDAR sensor count from 7 to 1 when they switched from Fusion to Volvo XC90. Any details on headline - Arizona pedestrian is killed by Uber self-driving car Still, they should have been able to ID the woman and bike at a safe distance in this scenario even with just the one LIDAR they had.

So sloppy short-cuts probably was the root cause here. Note Uber also very clearly were trying to buy (steal) LIDAR tech from Waymo to augment their system, thus the suit by Waymo that got settled earlier this year.