Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.2 0eddd23 detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did my first 10 miles of city driving with 2018.2. I had 2017.50.3 before. Early impressions, though it's too early to tell. Overall, no regressions noted so far, and incrementally better AP performance:

- Seems like at least when I have a lead car, it is dealing with bumps in the road better than before. It now goes into blue car mode for almost a second (when it would just be a quick blink before) when it hits a bump, and the car does not make a sudden steering movement.
- On curves+hills, it tracked center in areas where it used to slightly bias to one side.
- Tracked some sharp curves at 25mph in residential streets better.

Still not perfect — had to disengage twice (usual) in subdivisions where a sharp curve is followed by a lane split between a straight and turning lane. It wanted to follow the double-yellow lines into the turn lane. But I've seen this behavior before.

Didn't have a chance to stop behind a stopped car except once at 35mph. It did brake at first, let up when the car "blinked" on screen, then brake again, but overall the deceleration rate was comfortable for me and I allowed it to continue. I'm not sure how well it would've fared at higher speeds.

I'll attempt to plan a road trip this weekend to test it out in more detail. So far, it seems like minor improvements, no new features, and also no discernible regressions. I hope this addresses some of the 50.3 regressions noticed in other regions.

50.3 said it failed although it did go on
Note I see this comment a lot and VeryGreen pointed out that the update is a multi-step process and the UI may have worked but the "AP" part may have failed. In this case your UI would say you are on the current release but you would have needed/obtained another update to fix the 2+ steps that failed.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and Penfold
Note I see this comment a lot and VeryGreen pointed out that the update is a multi-step process and the UI may have worked but the "AP" part may have failed. In this case your UI would say you are on the current release but you would have needed/obtained another update to fix the 2+ steps that failed.
Thanks for the info, so would that be a SC visit or should/could it sort itself out?

Thanks for the info, so would that be a SC visit or should/could it sort itself out?
I would have thought you would have received another update that day and would have installed again and then saw it was successful (i.e. sort itself out). If not, then if I were you I would just call your normal SC and teall them you installed '50.3 but it said it failed'. See what they say and want to do (i.e. possibly force/push another update of it to you).

I would have thought you would have received another update that day and would have installed again and then saw it was successful (i.e. sort itself out). If not, then if I were you I would just call your normal SC and teall them you installed '50.3 but it said it failed'. See what they say and want to do (i.e. possibly force/push another update of it to you).
Thanks, no I didn’t get any other update (that I know of) and never saw a completed successful message. I’ll give them a shout if nothing comes through by Monday, cheers

I turned on the steering wheel heater, and seat warmer. Drove out of garage got out and locked car. Waited a few mins and got back in. The steering wheel heater was now off and the seat was on as before. Did not use keep climate on
Today I have a service loaner 100D with 2018.2 0eddd23

I confirm with steering wheel heater and seat heater on, if I leave/lock the car, when I get back in moments later the wheel heater is off but seat heater is still on

Turning “Keep climate on” = On has no effect on this result.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Occational rear camera failures have been happening for me since I got 2017.50.2. Grey screen, black screen, or frozen screen. MCU reboot fixes it, or after letting the car sit for a while. Never happened before 50.2.

Same here. Very annoying when backing up. Rebooting at that time is no option then. "Sorry, I need to reboot my Tesla so I can park and get out of your way".

@chillaban - can you tell if AP behavior is changed in long curves with this release?
I found with 2017.50x that the car would run wide in the early part of a curve only returning to the center of the lane after some time in the curve. This was uncomfortable with traffic in the adjacent lane being too close and regularly I have to disengage AP.

This was not an concern in earlier version and was introduced for me in 2017.50x.

I would be very interested to hear if you have similar experience, and this issue us now fixed

@chillaban - can you tell if AP behavior is changed in long curves with this release?
I found with 2017.50x that the car would run wide in the early part of a curve only returning to the center of the lane after some time in the curve. This was uncomfortable with traffic in the adjacent lane being too close and regularly I have to disengage AP.

This was not an concern in earlier version and was introduced for me in 2017.50x.

I would be very interested to hear if you have similar experience, and this issue us now fixed

Very familiar with that effect, but honestly I've seen that for a long time, ever since 2017.42. Since then it's been some curves better, others worse.

So far, I'm seeing improvements in 2018.2 on my commute in curves. But it's way too early for me to tell. You'll have to give me a few days to drive more :)

• Helpful
Reactions: thegruf and croman
Just had my 2017 MS back from the service center and they put 2018.2 on it. Like other said, nothing new feature-wise in the release notes, did use AP on the drive home and also did not notice anything significantly different. I should drive on the highway with overpasses where it really has trouble with the above bridge and shadow you pass through. The single biggest improvement to AP operation still comes when I use AP + chill mode.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffpaul and Cooker

I also had the 2017.50.3 failed but version implies success issue. I called Tesla shortly after the failure and they said they would investigate. Never got a call back, and didn't get 2017.50.3 re-pushed to the car. And still waiting for 2018.2 to drop for me. I did get a call from my local SC today about a back-ordered replacement rear seat for my X today. They mentioned on the call an outstanding firmware issue support case... Will be interesting what they say when I go in and if I get the current update before my visit.

Hope the lane keeping will really keep the car in the line as .42 did. The recent 50.3 understeers a lot, often crossing the lane markings and activating the lane departure warning...
I drive 70-150 miles a day on auto pilot and noticed the same thing. I felt it was a minor step back. However I tried something today that seemed to cause the AP to operate as it was before the auto wiper update. I disabled it! I am wondering if it has an overhead they haven’t accounted for yet. It’s only been one day so this can be in my head but my drive is very predictable so when AP wonders outside of the lanes or is very jittery in the same areas of the highway you are very aware of the change.

Can someone else try this and see if you notice it as well? Switching the wipers off did not make any difference, I had to disable the feature.

...50.3 said it failed although it did go on....
I have had this problem several times and reported it to corporate, who referred it to my nearest service center. After investigation, the service manager told me that it is a known problem that false failures are reported during software updates. There is nothing really wrong, just a software bug in the failure check.

Wait. AP is influenced by Chill Mode? I always just assumed AP is it's own thing governed by its own rules. Is there confirmation that Chill Mode influences AP other than butt-in-seat impressions?
Technically they are separate. However, my initial use of AP I find it very useful on highway traffic where the car will vary the speed based on the car in front. But when say the car in front changes lanes creating a gap, the car accelerates way too fast, also, auto lane changes into a lane with open space also accelerates like a 16 year old. I have found that when using AP and chill mode, these changes in speed and lane changes are much smoother and more like I would do myself in traffic.

I got this update at the Service Center today after they replaced the 2nd Generation Autopilot ECU.
Unfortunately I was not able to try TACC or Autosteer (both disabled) until recalibration is complete. (I was told ~100 miles)
I’m driving 1100 miles tomorrow from Palm Desert, CA to SW Washington tomorrow through Sunday, so it shouldn’t take long to get calibrated and test it before I get to the first Supercharger (Tejon)

Decided to do a weekend trip to Tahoe specifically to test out this update. It definitely is an incremental improvement you AP2. Overall it’s smoother, less prone to wig out on bumps, and navigates odd city lane markers with more finesse.

I had to take over a few times in the mountains due to lane departure around curves. It looks like compared to my last trip, the limits of how much the car is willing to turn the steering wheel at high speed has been relaxed so it handles more curves but just not the sharpest ones. I would guess Tesla will gradually relax those limits.

But it literally never required a correction due to incorrect lane recognition.

Ha. I got it too now.

Still doesn't hold a sensible line on large radius sweeping curves at 60+mph speed. Either it drifts wide onto the lane marking, or now occasionally it does the opposite and clips the inside marking. Bit of a pity really when the 17.40x builds were much more consistent in this respect.

The really odd thing is that AP knows it is doing it, the IC shows the car sitting on the blue line for considerable periods of time.

would like to see Tesla get this addressed as it means I am having to disengage AP quite regularly where previously I didn't.
No comment on other aspects of AP - differences if there are any are subtle.

Think I'll try a reboot and the autowiper trick to see if there is any difference.