Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.2 0eddd23 detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone with this version see if the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast on TuneIn plays properly? There's a long standing bug where podcasts from this publisher won't play. It's fixed on my model 3, but not on the S, and I'm hoping that this fix makes it to the S at some point.

Can someone with this version see if the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast on TuneIn plays properly? There's a long standing bug where podcasts from this publisher won't play. It's fixed on my model 3, but not on the S, and I'm hoping that this fix makes it to the S at some point.
Just tried. Sorry. Didn’t load for me on 2018.2 2017 MS90D AP2
Tried Tesla Show to verify connection right after & it played immediately.
7E8BD071-80DE-4E8A-88FB-98BD528CEA75.jpeg

Decided to do a weekend trip to Tahoe specifically to test out this update. It definitely is an incremental improvement you AP2. Overall it’s smoother, less prone to wig out on bumps, and navigates odd city lane markers with more finesse.

I had to take over a few times in the mountains due to lane departure around curves. It looks like compared to my last trip, the limits of how much the car is willing to turn the steering wheel at high speed has been relaxed so it handles more curves but just not the sharpest ones. I would guess Tesla will gradually relax those limits.

But it literally never required a correction due to incorrect lane recognition.
Had the same issue going through Tahoe on 80 when 50.1 came out

I hope they've improved AP, I've noticed a significant regression between .48 and .50.3 y car now loves being on the left side of the lane :(

Interestingly, a complaint of a number of us from the early AP days was that autosteer did too good of a job centering the car in the lane. The observation was that human drivers tend to bias slightly towards the left, leading to some tight clearances during passing situations, between the right side of the Tesla (centered in the lane) and left side of the car being passed (driving slightly to the left of center). This is not the same as "truck lust".

(Presumably this discussion is applicable to RHD countries if you reverse left and right.)

Bruce.

The observation was that human drivers tend to bias slightly towards the left, leading to some tight clearances during passing situations, between the right side of the Tesla (centered in the lane) and left side of the car being passed (driving slightly to the left of center). This is not the same as "truck lust".
Bruce.

Interesting. It mostly worries me when there is someone on my left and, in my opinion, it gets to close to their lane while turning, I i think that can annoy them. I can see how always keeping the center can be a problem in other situations.

I guess the solution IMHO will come when AP2 starts been aware of cars on each side

Reactions: pilotSteve
Interesting. It mostly worries me when there is someone on my left and, in my opinion, it gets to close to their lane while turning, I i think that can annoy them. I can see how always keeping the center can be a problem in other situations.

I guess the solution IMHO will come when AP2 starts been aware of cars on each side

I agree. The human behavior tends to be that they bias themselves to the left, or simply don't care about staying within their lanes around corners versus taking the curve smoothly, UNLESS there's a car nearby to the side, at which point they go out of their way to stay away from that side.

If anything, humans are averse to entering curves with cars beside them, or overtaking around curves.

It seems like AP2 would be a more comforting ADAS to supervise if it had these behaviors too.

Reactions: chispas
One more interesting thing: You can kind of see the steering turn limits when you drive with TACC enabled or completely manually.

If you steer around a sharp curve, you can find the moment at which the lane lines go from gray (AP allowed) to black (AP temporarily unavailable). It's definitely related to steering angle at a given speed.

Found a good curve last night, and did some testing:
(speed limit 65):
At 65 mph, manually steering, at the peak curvature AP becomes unavailable, though the lane lines depicted are stable and correctly showing the car's position.

At 65mph, with AP engaged, the car biases very strongly towards the outer edge of the curve.

At 55mph, with AP engaged, car correctly navigates curve without bias.

At 80mph, with AP engaged, car crosses lane line but continues to follow the curve, corrects itself after curve ends.

So, right now, IMO this is purely a software limitation, e.g. a speed-dependent rule of "AP cannot turn the steering wheel more than X degrees". It suggests to me that once Tesla is comfortable enough to raise these limits, we may see all of these curve following problems magically go away.

However, the flipside is, perhaps on challenging roads, slowing down (even below the speed limit) is potentially going to be an AP/FSD behavior. I've driven to Tahoe 50+ times at this point. I can stay in my lane with those mountain curves at 80-90mph if weather is good and traffic permits. AP2 seems like it couldn't negotiate the same curves much above 65mph. That might be a key differentiating feature between AP2 and future iterations of Autopilot hardware.

At 80mph, with AP engaged, car crosses lane line but continues to follow the curve, corrects itself after curve ends.

So, right now, IMO this is purely a software limitation, e.g. a speed-dependent rule of "AP cannot turn the steering wheel more than X degrees". It suggests to me that once Tesla is comfortable enough to raise these limits, we may see all of these curve following problems magically go away.

However, the last release I had (.44) did much better in sweeping curves, at least as I recall. I don't ever remember .44 riding a line or crossing over it with .44 at speeds over 60. I'm still on 50.3 though.

However, the last release I had (.44) did much better in sweeping curves, at least as I recall. I don't ever remember .44 riding a line or crossing over it with .44 at speeds over 60. I'm still on 50.3 though.

I actually noticed it ever since .42. Since then, it's been hit or miss in terms of what kinds of curves triggered it (whether it's hilly curves or just sweeping curves), but the off-centering behavior for me came from the jump from .34 to .42. I couldn't see much of a difference between .42 and .44.

EDIT: My historical comments:
Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5
Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5