Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a discovery on .21, that I've been playing with for a few days trying to understand and I "think" I understand it now to speak about it. So when approaching curves on highways and exit ramps in AP, the car will adjust the Max speed for the curve corresponding to the tile for the curves Max speed designation from the ADAS tiles. And once within the curve, there's a waypoint where it will resume normal speeds based on geofencing. I'm going to try to get a decent video of it on my way home from work. However, the new nag system is super super annoying....

Do you think this change is specific to 2018.21 or could it be that the ADAS tiles have updated for the roads you're driving on and would see the same on earlier firmware?

It does, but the problem is if the entry speed is way too high it all happens too slow and too late. I have a safe test corner where I can easily get it to cross over the centre line at the legal speed limit and then sometimes it actually snaps right over to the other side of the road! It would be massively dangerous if someone was dumb enough to trust it in that scenario. But I stress this is on a road beyond the scope of AP, yet I can still choose to activate the system which might give some people a false sense that it was appropriate.

Right, exactly.

The system already is pretty good at picking a reasonable speed based off how far the steering wheel is turned, both in Autosteer and TACC modes. So that "easy" part is already implemented.

But when you're barreling towards a curve that has a 25mph caution sign, and the car is still going 50-60mph seconds before entering the turn, by the time the system reacts and starts slowing down it's already way too late. Not to mention such situations are incredibly dangerous to supervise.

Most of the places where I have to take over on mountain curves, it's primarily due to the system sticking to an inappropriately high speed before entering the curve.

when you're barreling towards a curve that has a 25mph caution sign, and the car is still going 50-60mph seconds before entering the turn, by the time the system reacts and starts slowing down it's already way too late. Not to mention such situations are incredibly dangerous to supervise.

Most of the places where I have to take over on mountain curves, it's primarily due to the system sticking to an inappropriately high speed before entering the curve.

And now I must live in dread of this future headline: “Tesla on Autopilot Drives off Mountainside”. Poor me.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
And now I must live in dread of this future headline: “Tesla on Autopilot Drives off Mountainside”. Poor me.

I mean, it seems obvious to me as a Tesla owner with ~40,000 miles of Autopilot experience… there could've been many times I would've died if I didn't pay attention. Paying attention to what the car is doing does not seem like rocket science.

When on public roads the only prudent thing to do is to err on the side of caution, and if a situation is starting to look like it's getting out of hand, it's better to take over than to find out whether or not AP is going to handle it. Heck, I worry for all of those making those impressive Autopilot videos. It's tempting to show off what the system can do, but sometimes it's better not to know :)

Heck, I worry for all of those making those impressive Autopilot videos. It's tempting to show off what the system can do, but sometimes it's better not to know :)
Nah, maybe as one of those crazy guys you think of, I believe it is better to know the limitations.

As a pilot might say; to fly safe I need to know the stall speed, the max landing speed, the max G load before the wings fall off etc.

• Informative
Reactions: dk1888 and boaterva
I would appreciate the AP slowing down to a city speed limit before passing the city boundaries and not after. Entering the city with 95 kmh and slowing down to 55 for another 100 meters earned me few tickets already.

Whats the problem to slow down in advance before passing the speed limit sign?
There still is no speed sign recognition in the current hardware (or if there is, it isn't exposed to us yet) so even if you wanted it, it can't be implemented.

That is unless you're talking about GPS based speed limit behaviour? Yes we've all been begging for this one for ages too.

Last edited:
I am very disturbed by the increase nagging. There are reports that it now nags every 15-20s, that would really reduce the utility of autopilot for me and is definitely a step back. I don’t have a problem of putting hands on wheel but you have to exert steering pressure on wheel before it registers as hands on wheel. Right now, I gently tug the wheel every 45s or so since nag interval is about 1 minute. I would imagine autopilot to be quiet annoying to use if I have to tug the steering wheel every 10s.

Tesla, please do not nerf autopilot with constant nags. This is not what I signed up for when I upgrad d from AP to Enhanced AP.

• Love
Reactions: croman
Was at an SvC today and was told the latest and greatest is still *.20*ff9. A hair too early for *.22, evidently.

Stop sign reaction is definitely FSD.

Evidently we're going from AP to FSD since the E in EAP has been decidedly silent.

One would think before FSD we'd get some sort of an EAP teaser with more active cameras and such. Or they may just bank miles while biding time for the SoC before AP3 and/or AP4 (and for all we know, better connectivity and telemetry - meaning maybe less reliance upon 5G and more reliance upon a certain growing satellite farm).

Gonna be a long 2-3 years, anyway. FSD event in October, 2019 anyone? :)

Wonder if this year's sweetener will come in July or October... or both. Hmm.... July would include the *.28 and *.30 releases, yes?

Was at an SvC today and was told the latest and greatest is still *.20*ff9. A hair too early for *.22, evidently.

Evidently we're going from AP to FSD since the E in EAP has been decidedly silent.

One would think before FSD we'd get some sort of an EAP teaser with more active cameras and such. Or they may just bank miles while biding time for the SoC before AP3 and/or AP4 (and for all we know, better connectivity and telemetry - meaning maybe less reliance upon 5G and more reliance upon a certain growing satellite farm).

Wonder if this year's sweetener will come in July or October... or both. Hmm.... July would include the *.28 and *.30 releases, yes?

Where is the stop sign reading and going from AP to fsd coming from? Do you have more context on this?

I am very disturbed by the increase nagging. There are reports that it now nags every 15-20s, that would really reduce the utility of autopilot for me and is definitely a step back. I don’t have a problem of putting hands on wheel but you have to exert steering pressure on wheel before it registers as hands on wheel. Right now, I gently tug the wheel every 45s or so since nag interval is about 1 minute. I would imagine autopilot to be quiet annoying to use if I have to tug the steering wheel every 10s.

Tesla, please do not nerf autopilot with constant nags. This is not what I signed up for when I upgrad d from AP to Enhanced AP.

Weigh your wheel down... problem solved. ;)

Reactions: jrad6515
Nah, maybe as one of those crazy guys you think of, I believe it is better to know the limitations.

As a pilot might say; to fly safe I need to know the stall speed, the max landing speed, the max G load before the wings fall off etc.
Problem is, those are published data (with some leeway, as engineers never tell how really good stuff is (right, Mr. Scott? :D )).

What’s “published” about what exactly AP can do? We find that out by experimentation, for each new version and scenario. Eek and OMG.

Reactions: daktari

2018.22 is next week, by definition. 2018.20.5 is rolling out more than 2018.20 is right now. And please don’t use hashcodes to denote versions. I had to go TeslaFi to figure what you were talking about. :D. Only once in the last year has the hashcode meant anything, when there was a bad release and it was re-sent with a new hashcode. Ev-fw.com doesn’t even list them any longer!

Seems like a lot of people with 2018.20 are getting 2018.20.5. And people with older releases. Love to know what’s in it that necessitated a mid-week redo!

Just got 20.5 this morning - no discernible difference so far. Still phantom braking, much to the consternation of those behind me.

Tangentially, a little transparency with regard to what’s expected at the advent of 8.2 would be... spiffeh.

No, I did not bring enough for everybody.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva