Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Leaf vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A range of 150 miles will probably be more than enough to comfortably meet the needs of 95% of people in their daily commutes.

They made this exact same claim with the original Leaf, and 100 miles. 95% of people disagreed.

they released 30 cars, but not to the buying public, but rather to employees reportedly for reliability testing. It's now been 5 weeks since the 7/28 event -- does anyone know if they're actively selling M3s to owners?

Nope, those 30 cars were sold to owners. They are currently selling to owners (highest VIN seen is around 170 I think). Now those first customers are all peoplewho were given early access to the reservation list, so are employees and major investors. Presumably people with a vested interest in reporting early bugs back to Tesla.

On that the Leaf and Bolt deliver.

I can't afford a Bolt, I'll have to settle for a Model 3.

Thank you kindly.

If given the choice between a well equiped Toyota Corolla and a stripped down BMW 3 series, most (outside this board) will buy the Corolla.
If you could get a stripped down BMW 3-series for $5k more than a Corolla, most people if not everyone is going to be buying the BMW. I don't think you need to say "stripped down" BMW 3-series when comparing it to a Corolla. A Corolla is a stripped down Camry.

And we're not debating if the Leaf 2 makes sense for some people. People will definitely buy it and will enjoy it. However, people who are considering a Model 3 are probably not among those people. Think about it this way. If someone is considering a BWM 3-series and asks what are some comparable cars, is anyone else going to say, "why don't you check out the Corolla. It's just as good?"

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
gives a new definition for the word 'peppy'

No, it's an old definition of peppy. Around 1980 I would say. I distinctly remember the early VW rabbits being called peppy, back in the late 70's at around 11 secs 0-60, so after that. Peppy inflation has taken its toll, and now anything less than a supercar would get twenty years ago is too slow to contemplate. Not that anyone ever needs to use those 0-60 times.

Thank you kindly.

No, it's an old definition of peppy. Around 1980 I would say. I distinctly remember the early VW rabbits being called peppy, back in the late 70's at around 11 secs 0-60, so after that. Peppy inflation has taken its toll, and now anything less than a supercar would get twenty years ago is too slow to contemplate. Not that anyone ever needs to use those 0-60 times.

Thank you kindly.

There are many acceleration litmus tests. 0-60 is sort of an odd one today, but it's common.

1/4 mile traps are perhaps more useful in judging what acceleration a car is capable of. It takes most the wheelspin out of it.

11 seconds to 60 has never been referred to by rational humans as peppy, unless they've never been in a motorized transportation device before.

11 seconds to sixty pretty eliminates safe passing on a 2 lane road in anything but the best of all possible conditions.

Hot weather, altitude, more than a single 98lb occupant in the car, and perhaps even an uphill grade, leaves the 11 second vehicle as little more than a menace to themselves and other drivers.

True Tesla is resource limited

So you understand there's a resource constraint.

jayc said:
but it is simply not acceptable that the 3rd new Tesla model to come out is still taking almost 2 years from start of production to reach here.

Regardless it's still unacceptable to you.

jayc said:
I really hope Tesla gets a real good beating in Europe and elsewhere with Gen 2 Leaf

What's more you'd like to see Tesla suffer despite doing the best they can pushing fast and hard.

Too bad I couldn't rate your post "Vehemently Disagree"

Another interesting feature that has been overlooked ... V2G charging allows you to power your home with your car :cool:

Nissan unveils 2018 next-gen Leaf with new design, more range, V2G, and more

But a new design and range increase for the same price is not all you get with this new generation.
Nissan has included a few edge features, like vehicle-to-grid capacity, which enables owners to use their car’s battery pack to power their home.

2018_nissan_leaf_us_14.jpg

2018_nissan_leaf_us_02-e1504660274657.jpg

Another interesting feature that has been overlooked ... V2G charging allows you to power your home with your car :cool:

But a new design and range increase for the same price is not all you get with this new generation.
Nissan has included a few edge features, like vehicle-to-grid capacity, which enables owners to use their car’s battery pack to power their home.

The original leaf was already capable to that:
Green Car Congress: Nissan to launch the “LEAF to Home” V2H power supply system with Nichicon “EV Power Station” in June

2018_nissan_leaf_us_14.jpg

2018_nissan_leaf_us_02-e1504660274657.jpg
Not only is this feature really unnecessary, but since Nissan decided to go with a small battery pack it would be pretty much useless for people who did want to use it. With 150 miles range, by the time you drive home you're not going to have energy to be able to do anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
How often do you see yourself using this function if it was part of the Tesla?
About as frequently as all the people who buy generators or Tesla PowerWalls as a back-up during a power outage.

And a bit more 'out there,' I want to build an off-grid home and the ~ 60 kWh odd battery in my future Model 3 seemed like a great component I could integrate into the home system ad-hoc when needed to act as both energy sink and source.

Not only is this feature really unnecessary, but since Nissan decided to go with a small battery pack it would be pretty much useless for people who did want to use it. With 150 miles range, by the time you drive home you're not going to have energy to be able to do anything.

Not really ... the average commute would allow significant power transfer with over 100 miles of range remaining during a power outage. :cool:

Reactions: mmd
V2G had been Japan only, I don't know it this has changed.
Elon nixed the idea for Tesla, to my disappointment.

About as frequently as all the people who buy generators or Tesla PowerWalls as a back-up during a power outage.

There you have the reason why Elon axed it: To sell Powerwalls :)
40 KWh is plenty of energy. Can run 4 led light bulbs and a fan 5 hours each day for ~3 months! If a home has two of these cars, more!

But I'm doubtful that it will be available in US version. This

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Not really ... the average commute would allow significant power transfer with over 100 miles of range remaining during a power outage. :cool:
You would only get this in ideal conditions. When you charge to 100% and drive efficiently. That is going to accelerate your battery degradation.

There's been exactly 1 power outage at my house that lasted a whole 15 minutes in the last 30 years.

Last edited: