Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need recommendations on what to do- I can either buy a cheaper 2018 LR with 55k miles that’s out of the basic warranty and has some cosmetic fit and finish issues OR go with a 2021 SR+. I’d prefer LR but am concerned it’s out of warranty with fit and finished issues. What’s the best choice?

I think in your case, the lack of warranty and fit/finish issues are concerning. Is this direct from Tesla?

Disagree with the above regarding range difference being negligible. Even if the battery on the used has 7.5% degradation (a lot), range will be 300 miles on a LR RWD, still about 40miles more than a brand new SR+.

At this point, the degradation of a 55k mile LR has plateaued, and the SR+ will will still degrade. So over long term ownership, the range difference will still be noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna
I think an important question is how much long-distance driving you do and where the next Tesla Superchargers are located along your most likely routes. If you drive long-distance a lot, i.e. more than 200 miles, then you would benefit a bit from the long-range version. If not, I would go for the Standard Range Plus.

I have an SR+. It is the most efficient electric vehicle far and wide, but on long-distance drives you may sometimes need a few more recharging stops and hence a few more minutes to your destination.

I think an important question is how much long-distance driving you do and where the next Tesla Superchargers are located along your most likely routes. If you drive long-distance a lot, i.e. more than 200 miles, then you would benefit a bit from the long-range version. If not, I would go for the Standard Range Plus.

I have an SR+. It is the most efficient electric vehicle far and wide, but on long-distance drives you may sometimes need a few more recharging stops and hence a few more minutes to your destination.
I’ll be commuting between SF & LA a decent amount. With a SR I’d have to stop 2 times but with LR only 1 stop would be necessary. Located in California so finding super chargers isn’t an issue for me

I think in your case, the lack of warranty and fit/finish issues are concerning. Is this direct from Tesla?

Disagree with the above regarding range difference being negligible. Even if the battery on the used has 7.5% degradation (a lot), range will be 300 miles on a LR RWD, still about 40miles more than a brand new SR+.

At this point, the degradation of a 55k mile LR has plateaued, and the SR+ will will still degrade. So over long term ownership, the range difference will still be noticeable.
Excellent points. I’m concerned about a SR since I’ll be going back and forth between SF and LA a decent amount and would like a LR for that reason, plus degradation, faster charging. But if it’s going to cost me an arm and leg in the long run to fix fit & finish, then not worth it

The OP didn’t say whether the 2018 LR was AWD or RWD. I have a 2018 AWD and it currently has a rated range of 290 miles with only 1/3 the miles of the one the OP mentioned.

I’ll be commuting between SF & LA a decent amount. With a SR I’d have to stop 2 times but with LR only 1 stop would be necessary. Located in California so finding super chargers isn’t an issue for me
Are you aware that rated miles don’t necessarily translate directly to actual miles? Even if the 2018 still has about 300 rated miles being displayed, the actual mile difference vs 263 for the new SR+ Is unlikely to make a difference on which supercharger you get to. Now if you are talking the range of a new LR, I agree that 90 miles extra rated range can make a difference.

The OP didn’t say whether the 2018 LR was AWD or RWD. I have a 2018 AWD and it currently has a rated range of 290 miles with only 1/3 the miles of the one the OP mentioned.

Are you aware that rated miles don’t necessarily translate directly to actual miles? Even if the 2018 still has about 300 rated miles being displayed, the actual mile difference vs 263 for the new SR+ Is unlikely to make a difference on which supercharger you get to. Now if you are talking the range of a new LR, I agree that 90 miles extra rated range can make a difference.
Both 2018 and 2021 are RWD. Not sure the exact range of the 2018 LR but that’s a good question to ask to dealer

Even still, over time the SR+ will also degrade and the range difference over a longer ownership period will eventually average out and be proportionally similar to the stated ranges.

PS: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity << have you tried any of the tricks in this post?

Even still, over time the SR+ will also degrade and the range difference over a longer ownership period will eventually average out and be proportionally similar to the stated ranges.

PS: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity << have you tried any of the tricks in this post?
Yes, I’m quite aware of those techniques. I’ve done all the recommended cycling of the SOC, charging, and long drives.

Yes, I’ve factored those in. New SR+ is around $35K and LR is about 32K so LR is definitely cheaper. But not sure if I’ll end up spending 3K in maintenance if it’s not covered in warranty
Does the 2018 have any version of autopilot? Be aware that in 2018, the option was for 1) Enhanced Autopilot, 2) full self driving or 3) nothing. The nothing is dummy cruise control; no adaptive cruise control; no lane keeping. Adaptive cruise control and auto steering are game changing. Auto lane change, which is a part of EAP, is also something I highly recommend.

If the 2018 LR only has dummy cruise control, that would make me even more sure to choose the new SR+.

Does the 2018 have any version of autopilot? Be aware that in 2018, the option was for 1) Enhanced Autopilot, 2) full self driving or 3) nothing. The nothing is dummy cruise control; no adaptive cruise control; no lane keeping. Adaptive cruise control and auto steering are game changing. Auto lane change, which is a part of EAP, is also something I highly recommend.

If the 2018 LR only has dummy cruise control, that would make me even more sure to choose the new SR+.
2018 LR has enhanced auto pilot. SR+ would not