Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by these software updates- I just got back from picking up my Tesla M3 LR DM and they pushed the latest software. And I now have 2019.16.3.2. But according to the link in OP, I see 5 newer versions of software for Autopilot 2.5. Why wouldn't they give me the latest software available for my car (especially since I complained about an issue with auto lane changes)?

Also, how are software updates built meaning do they have separate builds for AP1, AP2, AP2.5, and AP3? Is that the only platforms or does it depend on model (3, S, X), drive train (dual or single), or range (battery size)? What about performance/ludicrous modes? Seems like there are lots of variations and I'm not clear how they manage the updates.

I'm confused by these software updates- I just got back from picking up my Tesla M3 LR DM and they pushed the latest software. And I now have 2019.16.3.2. But according to the link in OP, I see 5 newer versions of software for Autopilot 2.5. Why wouldn't they give me the latest software available for my car (especially since I complained about an issue with auto lane changes)?

At any given moment, two or three software versions may be in common use on Teslas. ("Common" meaning, arbitrarily, "10% or more of installations.") There are likely to be half a dozen or more versions in less-common use, too. The reasons for this are varied, and have to do with some builds being made specifically for some hardware configurations but not others; Tesla's release schedule, which typically involves a slow ramp-up, for reasons people speculate about from time to time; the fact that, as a new release is pushed out, it may take two or three days for cars to download the updates and owners to click the "update" buttons; and perhaps other reasons I'm forgetting or never knew.

Your 2019.16.3.2 version was, AFAIK, the last one in the 2019.16.x series. The subsequent series, 2019.20.x, began to be pushed out in limited numbers about two or three weeks ago (I don't recall precisely when), with a major update push happening over the past week or so.

The numbering convention, BTW, is year.week.build[.sub-build]. I think I may have seen a sub-sub-build number once or twice, too. Typically, features are added to weekly releases, with build and sub-build releases focusing on bug fixes. Thus, if you get one of the first releases for a week, you may end up getting a new build or sub-build two or three days later, if Tesla discovers a bug in that weekly release.

Sometimes a car will lag behind everybody's else's, for reasons that may not be clear, but it can sometimes be tracked down. Tesla prefers to deliver software updates via WiFi, so if you don't configure your car to connect to WiFi, your software updates will be infrequent. Likewise if your WiFi connection is weak. Some owners end up buying WiFi extenders to ensure they've got clean signals in their garages or driveways.

Sometimes there are oddball version numbers that are distributed in limited numbers. Sometimes these are market-specific builds to satisfy local laws or Tesla hardware versions. Sometimes they're deliveries to people on pre-release or beta-test programs. Some such programs require owners to foreswear using services like TeslaFi (see below), but sometimes an owner disobeys that prohibition or there's a slip-up and so one or two cars with one of these versions appears on TeslaFi. These pre-release versions don't necessarily have bigger version numbers than others, which can be confusing -- year.7.2 may be more advanced than year.12.3, for instance. Tesla also announces new features before they're actually delivered to the masses, so it may be a week, a month, or more before you see a feature in your car that was featured prominently in a Tesla demo. (There's a lot of talk now about Advanced Summon, for instance, which was demonstrated a while ago but has yet to appear in most owners' cars.)

You'd think that a newly-delivered car would have the latest firmware, but that's not always true. It takes long enough to move the car from the factory to the owner that an update may get pushed out in that time, and delivery centers don't usually bother to force an update. From their perspective, why should they? The car will update itself sooner or later, and probably sooner, so doing an update is extra work for them. Once you're past the first update, you probably won't care that your car didn't have the "latest and greatest" firmware upon delivery.

FWIW, the TeslaFi data tool provides a software tracker:

TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger

I think that's accessible even to non-subscribers. Keep in mind that it tracks installations only on subscribers' vehicles, but I suspect that's pretty close in percentage figures to the overall Tesla population.

Also, how are software updates built meaning do they have separate builds for AP1, AP2, AP2.5, and AP3? Is that the only platforms or does it depend on model (3, S, X), drive train (dual or single), or range (battery size)? What about performance/ludicrous modes? Seems like there are lots of variations and I'm not clear how they manage the updates.

If you're asking whether each car gets its own customized package vs. one big binary blob that works for all cars, I don't know, and I don't know if anybody here does, either. I've seen such discussions once or twice without a clear resolution.

It's interesting that no YouTube videos of the Advanced Summon have appeared with this version. I wonder if they put the fear of Elon into the Early Access Program members after the last wave of NDA breakers.

Probably just a minor update to what they already posted and not worth making another video. The fact it even shows in TeslaFi means there are still Early Access people willing to break their NDA.