Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.1 - Beach Buggy Racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering about that. Is that healthy for the tires to get scrubbed in one spot like that. Liked the idea of a wireless steering wheel input device better but not as convenient.

Your concerns are warranted, but not for the tires - the stress is really on the suspension joints. It's never good on a car's steering mechanisms to turn the steering wheel while the car is not rolling. Kids do this all the time in golf carts, and soon the steering wheel has 6 inches of "loose play" due to wear in the tie rod ends, etc. Granted, a golf cart is built nowhere near the level of a car, but the reasoning is the same. It WILL wear on your steering components if the steering wheel is constantly turned while the car is not moving. Just turn the steering wheel one day while the car is motionless, and then roll forward slightly while still turning the steering wheel - the amount of pressure you need to exert is greatly reduced when the car starts barely moving. All of pressure you feel before the car moves is being delivered to the steering components.

Hopefully Tesla will release a game steering wheel that mounts to the real steering wheel. Though a little more cumbersome, it would definitely be much better for the car.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Pretty impressed with the new game. I'm not likely to play games much in the car since we don't supercharge often (and would rather keep my kid away from this game due to the potential effects on wheels/suspension), but IMHO Tesla was restricting itself in this domain with the "retro" cool factor of Atari that really only appeals to nerdy-types raised in the 70s and 80s. Everyone else views it as a limitation of the system, as if that's all the MCU could run.

Now that this is out of the way, let's get to FSD!

I kinda wonder why Tesla is even doing these arcade games at all. Is it just a marketing gimmick to sale cars? Providing owners something to help pass the time during supercharging? Something else? All of the above? I ask because a couple classic arcade games was one thing but it seems like Tesla is really making a big deal about it.

What I think is funny is that when asked about "Better music options" like Spotify, Apple Music, etc. and better phone integration in general in the Ride The Lightning podcast interview. Elon said "We have limited resources" and that this "wasn't a priority" for Tesla.

What I think is funny is that when asked about "Better music options" like Spotify, Apple Music, etc. and better phone integration in general in the Ride The Lightning podcast interview. Elon said "We have limited resources" and that this "wasn't a priority" for Tesla.

Which I think just proves that these games are more than a side show, they are clearly an integral part of the Tesla plan. Tesla is clearly making a choice to devote resources to these games instead of other things like spotify. I can only surmise that Tesla thinks the games will be a major marketing win, more so that adding better music options.

Spotify is nothing to do with resources, its already working in Europe. This is nothing more than licensing or current contracts.
As others have pointed out, having other things to do than driving may become important soon, so games are one alternative.
That and they make great press attention grabbers.

I get that some people don't like it. But ELDA is a critical safety feature that works really well. Disabling it permanently could literally kill people.

I actually had an instance over the weekend where ELDA almost killed someone.

Came around the corner on a narrow suburban street, landscaping truck set up in my lane...cones out, lights on, no big deal. Car coming in the opposite lane a half block away, so I swerved to go around the landscaping truck..as soon as I crossed the center line the car tried to jerk me back into the lane, and directly into one of the guys getting out of the truck.

I sent the bug report in, but no....that feature absolutely does not need to be on all the time.

I actually had an instance over the weekend where ELDA almost killed someone.

Came around the corner on a narrow suburban street, landscaping truck set up in my lane...cones out, lights on, no big deal. Car coming in the opposite lane a half block away, so I swerved to go around the landscaping truck..as soon as I crossed the center line the car tried to jerk me back into the lane, and directly into one of the guys getting out of the truck.

I sent the bug report in, but no....that feature absolutely does not need to be on all the time.

If you had slowed down, and used your turn signal, ELDA would not have done that! ELDA acted appropriately to what it saw as a reckless maneuver. As far as ELDA was concerned, maybe you were losing control of your vehicle and therefore it needed to steer you back into the other lane to save you. It does not know that you are veering into the other lane on purpose to avoid the parked truck. But again, if you had just used your turn signal, ELDA would have ignored you. You just need to learn how to use the feature.

The reason ELDA is necessary is to prevent cases where the driver is not veering into the other lane on purpose but instead has lost control over their vehicle and needs help. If you disable ELDA permanently, what are you going to do if you veer out of the lane by accident? Imagine if your veering into the other lane was not on purpose. If the veering into the other lane was accidental, without ELDA, you might hit the other car head one.

If you had slowed down, and used your turn signal, ELDA would not have done that! ELDA acted appropriately to what it saw as a reckless maneuver. As far as ELDA was concerned, maybe you were losing control of your vehicle and therefore it needed to steer you back into the other lane to save you. It does not know that you are veering into the other lane on purpose to avoid the parked truck. But again, if you had just used your turn signal, ELDA would have ignored you. You just need to learn how to use the feature.

The reason ELDA is necessary is to prevent cases where the driver is not veering into the other lane on purpose but instead has lost control over their vehicle and needs help. If you disable ELDA permanently, what are you going to do if you veer out of the lane by accident? Imagine if your veering into the other lane was not on purpose. If the veering into the other lane was accidental, without ELDA, you might hit the other car head one.

WRONG....why would I use a TURN SIGNAL to maneuver around an obstacle on a secondary road?