Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.1 - Beach Buggy Racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your concerns are warranted, but not for the tires - the stress is really on the suspension joints. It's never good on a car's steering mechanisms to turn the steering wheel while the car is not rolling. Kids do this all the time in golf carts, and soon the steering wheel has 6 inches of "loose play" due to wear in the tie rod ends, etc. Granted, a golf cart is built nowhere near the level of a car, but the reasoning is the same. It WILL wear on your steering components if the steering wheel is constantly turned while the car is not moving. Just turn the steering wheel one day while the car is motionless, and then roll forward slightly while still turning the steering wheel - the amount of pressure you need to exert is greatly reduced when the car starts barely moving. All of pressure you feel before the car moves is being delivered to the steering components.
Hopefully Tesla will release a game steering wheel that mounts to the real steering wheel. Though a little more cumbersome, it would definitely be much better for the car.

As much as I like the new game, I will refuse to play it based on it causing wear-and-tear on the car.
I really hope they add a way to play it without causing the power steering to move the actual wheels.
Along with everything else it is going to look 'dorky' to be sitting at the Supercharging station with your front tires turning back and forth.
Also, how much energy are you using to play the game if it keeps having to move the steering rack with your game play? Sigh.

I have an xbox controller on USB in the car, and found that it doesn't appear to work on the new game, but works on the old Atari games.

I think that most of you guys are seriously overestimating the potential impact of 'wear and tear.'

The total amount of time spent by the average person actually playing this game is a drop in the bucket over the life of the car. You aren't going to damage, accelerate wear, or ruin the suspension/tires from trying and occasionally playing any of the games.

As much as I like the new game, I will refuse to play it based on it causing wear-and-tear on the car.
I really hope they add a way to play it without causing the power steering to move the actual wheels.
Along with everything else it is going to look 'dorky' to be sitting at the Supercharging station with your front tires turning back and forth.
Also, how much energy are you using to play the game if it keeps having to move the steering rack with your game play? Sigh.

I have an xbox controller on USB in the car, and found that it doesn't appear to work on the new game, but works on the old Atari games.
It works on older games, but only the analog stick, which makes them impossible to play with the xbox controller. I might actually play them if the Dpad would work. As of right now I feel all games are useless since the controls are horrible.

What I think is funny is that when asked about "Better music options" like Spotify, Apple Music, etc. and better phone integration in general in the Ride The Lightning podcast interview. Elon said "We have limited resources" and that this "wasn't a priority" for Tesla.

Not sure when Elon quoted that, but Spotify and Apple Music are likely much harder to deliver than this game. Those are two large companies, that require licensing, and money which is likely more of the reason the games came first. Not sure you realize some options take more time and money than others.
Surely you know one option is not just as easy as another ...

Which I think just proves that these games are more than a side show, they are clearly an integral part of the Tesla plan. Tesla is clearly making a choice to devote resources to these games instead of other things like spotify. I can only surmise that Tesla thinks the games will be a major marketing win, more so that adding better music options.

You say “Tesla is clearly making a choice”
Not sure what information you are using to make a factual statement like that. ?
Nothing about how they choose which upgrades they do is clear to anyone not making the decisions.
It’s mostly likely based on time, money, and return. Who knows what else.
Did you think of that ?

Not sure when Elon quoted that, but Spotify and Apple Music are likely much harder to deliver than this game. Those are two large companies, that require licensing, and money which is likely more of the reason the games came first. Not sure you realize some options take more time and money than others.
Surely you know one option is not just as easy as another ...

You say “Tesla is clearly making a choice”
Not sure what information you are using to make a factual statement like that. ?
Nothing about how they choose which upgrades they do is clear to anyone not making the decisions.
It’s mostly likely based on time, money, and return. Who knows what else.
Did you think of that ?

Not to mention the game was developed by a 3rd party, further reducing the amount of effort required by Tesla to implement it.

"why didn't they do y instead of x" and "feature y should be easy to implement! I'm a programmer and it should only be minutes of work" are some of the most useless arguments when it comes to development across the board. Like you said, only the internal Tesla team truly knows the effort required, resource availability, and long term impact of implementing any given feature. Armchair developers on internet forums can keep squawking, but nothing they say matters.

I got a few moments to play Beach Buggy Racing 2 this morning while sitting in a parking lot space and I have to admit that it is really fun to play with the steering wheel and the in-game cartoonish version of my red Model 3. I think the person who pulled their car out besides me thought I was at least just a little bit crazy. :)
I was sitting in a lot this morning for about 15 minutes playing while waiting for a store to open. I got more than a few weird looks.

For some reason I did a lot better with my seat belt buckled...now if only the accelerator pedal worked.

If you had slowed down, and used your turn signal, ELDA would not have done that! ELDA acted appropriately to what it saw as a reckless maneuver. As far as ELDA was concerned, maybe you were losing control of your vehicle and therefore it needed to steer you back into the other lane to save you. It does not know that you are veering into the other lane on purpose to avoid the parked truck. But again, if you had just used your turn signal, ELDA would have ignored you. You just need to learn how to use the feature.

The reason ELDA is necessary is to prevent cases where the driver is not veering into the other lane on purpose but instead has lost control over their vehicle and needs help. If you disable ELDA permanently, what are you going to do if you veer out of the lane by accident? Imagine if your veering into the other lane was not on purpose. If the veering into the other lane was accidental, without ELDA, you might hit the other car head one.

Just...wow. I can't even...

Perhaps look at this thread to educate yourself on why this feature isn't as safe as you think it is. Just because you aren't having a problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem for many people.

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

Last edited:
Just...wow. I can't even...

Perhaps look at this thread to educate yourself on why this feature isn't as safe as you think it is. Just because you aren't having a problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem for many people.

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

I sympathize. But no, I have not had any issues with ELDA at all. In fact, I've never experienced any ELDA event one single time. It is hard for me to say that ELDA is a problem when it has not given me any issues at all. And if you want to permanently disable it because it is giving you issues, I get it. But we have to look at the big picture too. It is a key safety feature that is very useful. I don't think permanently disabling it is the answer.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SDKoala
I am not criticizing your experiences. But since the feature is working perfectly for me, I am going to be in the pro-ELDA camp.

So, in my scenario, had ELDA caused me to run over a landscaper, do you think the police would have been pro-ELDA, or might I have faced charges?

I'm anti-something-that-could-kill-someone-and-land-me-in-jail, unless Tesla steps up and says they are liable for any incidents caused by it....which they won't, because they haven't even gotten that far with EAP/FSD yet.

I am fully Team Let Us Disable It.

• Disagree
Reactions: willow_hiller

FYI - You can do single player with just the screen controls. Use of wheel is not required.