Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, mine has the exact opposite problem: it wants to move all the way to the right lane at least 2 miles before exits. And this is not new with 20.4.2, it’s been the case for the last several updates.

I've observed that NOA will pretty consistently make 1 lane change towards the exit lane per mile... So if you are 2 miles away and in the 3rd left most lane it will initiate a lane change, then within 1 mile it will initiate the final lane change.

That said, NOA is only as good as it's map data, so it does weird things in construction zones, unfortunately construction is everywhere here in the summer time.

So glad I decided not to blow $6k on FSD. I’ll reconsider when HW4 is out with my next Tesla.

You're likely not wrong for waiting. It's definitely not a $6k value with the features today.

But HW3 cars are not benefiting from the HW3 computer yet. It'll be interesting to see how much better FSD will be once software comes out that utilizes HW3 capability.

Reactions: Elixir
I had that on 20.4.1 and then it stopped after the "emergency" update from to 20.4.2

The issue (per tech support) with 20.4.1 was that a bug would cause Sentry Mode to log an event every minute. Hence the huge battery drain. This has been resolved in 20.4.2

Also of note in 20.4.x is that when driving with autopilot on in the slow lane, you will note that if a car is merging in to your lane, it is darker than other surrounding cars. This is because your car is actively tracking merging cars now and correcting the speed in order for smooth merges. This is the first build where I've felt safe having Autopilot turned on in the slow lane. :) Nice to see the steady improvements.

Here's a video that show's what I'm talking about:

Reactions: Malbers
@ibGeek

Are you sure? I watched that video and it looks like the car is just darker because it’s closer. If you watch the screen, all cars that are closer are darker.

I could be wrong, and I haven’t yet seen my P3 “track” any other cars, and I have EAP and FSD. Granted, I still have HW2.5.

I absolutely can tell that AP has been improving, getting a lot smoother, but it still has a long ways to go.

Yes, I'm sure. As of 20.4 Tesla is pacing cars that merge you can feel the car match the speed. And the darker color is not an indication of distance but rather an indication of the vehicle that your car is currently most concerned with. If it were distance, then the cars parked next to you at a stoplight would all be dark. Completely agree that there is much improvement still needed. Like when a car in front of you turns out of your lane (not lane change) causing breaking. But since I got my car, it's gone from driving like a 16 year old that just got their permit, to a solid 19 year old after 2 beers. :)

I got 4.2 Monday night. Can't remember what I had before that, either 2.1 or 4.1, but I think 4.1 because I was last updated just 2 days before getting 4.2. Anyway, not sure if these were any of the supposed critical updates that needed to be fixed, but the previous release introduced windshield wipers going on randomly 5-6x when I first pulled out of the garage. Didn't happen any other time I started a new journey - just coming out of the garage. It was sporadic when they wiped implying it was something to do with the auto mode for the wipers which I have set on. 4.2 fixed that.

The other annoying thing introduced in the previous release was when the display was in night mode, it was so dark, you could barely even read it. I took the auto dim off because of that. The 4.2 release notes say they took care of that too, although I haven't put my screen back on auto dim yet to see if that's the case.
I read this and wanted to let you know that the auto setting is *not* mutually exclusive with the brightness slider. Turn on auto and then set the desired brightness. Auto setting should then keep the screen readable as the outside light level changes. (On mine, the screen was initially very dim.)

Reactions: ibGeek
So am I the only one getting ridiculous levels of phantom drain after this update? I've turned off Sentry, and its still dropping like crazy. I will try turning off Teslafi.
Me too. Losing 2-3 MPH when parked at work. No sentry. No cabin overheat protection. Mild temperatures. Total BS. I got tired of pissing away kWh and scheduled a service appointment.

Reactions: TMarque
After upgrade 20.4.2 I am getting very bad lane follow above 60mph . On autosteer tries to hunt or zigzag in the lane. Before it was perfectly stable. So bad it affects passengers and the steering wheel is alternately tugging left , right at about or two times per second. So bad I had to revert to TACC from AS. Have tried to persevere for 250 miles to allow for calibration but still happening.

I just today noticed that my 'recent' folder had dashcam recording of the last hour parked at home. It never did that before. Sentry mode is off, since I was using Cabin Overheat Protection. I guess that explained the high vampire drain lately.
I've turned off dashcam for now, see if that helps...

Reactions: ibGeek
After upgrade 20.4.2 I am getting very bad lane follow above 60mph . On autosteer tries to hunt or zigzag in the lane. Before it was perfectly stable. So bad it affects passengers and the steering wheel is alternately tugging left , right at about or two times per second. So bad I had to revert to TACC from AS. Have tried to persevere for 250 miles to allow for calibration but still happening.

Somethings not right about that. When it's hunting like that, press the right button on your steering wheel and say "report bug" then when you have a chance call or chat with support and note the time you reported the but. They should be able to see why that is happening.

Is there any notes or documentation of this new “tracking” feature where the car that is being tracked in highlighted with a darker color? They usually explain features like this in the release notes. Even then “Model 3 may recognize red lights” feature was included in the release notes. I would just think a feature like this would be explained and marketed as Autopilot improvements.

Again, I could be wrong, I have just yet to see this. Then again, I’ve yet to see a “red light” warning and that one was explained.

So am I the only one getting ridiculous levels of phantom drain after this update? I've turned off Sentry, and its still dropping like crazy. I will try turning off Teslafi.
TeslaFi seems benign — if configured properly, even helpful. Stats is a nightmare, polls constantly, won't let the car sleep for long. After killing Stats on several devices, especially Apple watch, I’m sleeping a full 12 hours with TeslaFi running. Sleeping means very little phantom drain.

Another factor to consider: the V3 supercharger firmware update for M3 uses the Tesla “superbottle” system to condition battery coolant. The superbottle is linked to the compressor and distributes coolant to AC system as well. For the first time in ten months of ownership, my M3 will now run the compressor when the car is off and cabin temps are low, nothing coming from vents. I suspect the compressor is running being to support the battery management system. I have not confirmed. If this were to happen a lot, a new source of phantom drain could be in play.

Is there any notes or documentation of this new “tracking” feature where the car that is being tracked in highlighted with a darker color? They usually explain features like this in the release notes. Even then “Model 3 may recognize red lights” feature was included in the release notes. I would just think a feature like this would be explained and marketed as Autopilot improvements.

Again, I could be wrong, I have just yet to see this. Then again, I’ve yet to see a “red light” warning and that one was explained.

No notes on this that I've found but it's a thing none the less. When I had my car in for a service (thought I had a bad side camera that turned out to be software related a while back) I used the opportunity to have my tech explain the UI to me since the delivery guy basically dropped the car off and ran. One of the things he explained was that the darker car was the car that Tesla was tracking for distance and speed. At the time he was talking about the car in front of me or during a lane change. It never highlighted a car that was merging before. Now it does. :) During the autonomy day event Elon discussed predicting when a car was going to cut in on you. I assume that this is part of that.