Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they know they will sell so they maximize their profits by putting as many options as possible.
If that was true then they should build more of the less ordered varieties so that existing orders for these can be fulfilled as quickly as possible, with the surplus sold as existing inventory. The fact that there are so many surplus white ones leads me to believe that they have mistakenly estimated the demand for the white cars, whilst some people that have ordered a red car have to wait longer! Or perhaps there is a surplus/shortage of white/other paint? Can't imagine these are all actual orders that have been cancelled?

If that was true then they should build more of the less ordered varieties so that existing orders for these can be fulfilled as quickly as possible, with the surplus sold as existing inventory. The fact that there are so many surplus white ones leads me to believe that they have mistakenly estimated the demand for the white cars, whilst some people that have ordered a red car have to wait longer! Or perhaps there is a surplus/shortage of white/other paint? Can't imagine these are all actual orders that have been cancelled?
It could also be down to the price of red v white? I'd you're ordering SR+ and working to a budget the extra might swing your choice?

Reactions: ringi
Can't imagine these are all actual orders that have been cancelled?

Tesla don't build Model 3's to order, so they have to estimate demand and then ship it. If they over estimate then these cars appear as inventory - as is the case with all these White cars.

I had a look at the order spreadsheets here at TMC, and from this sample, white is the most popular at 29.3%, followed by MSM and Blue (19.4%), Black (14.6%) then Red (12.4%)

FSD is in 31.5% of orders - (possibly over inflated through the sample source being TMC readers)

Interior is 24.3% White and 75.4% Black

SR+ is 19.4%, LR 53.8% and P 26.8%

So you can see that these tesla "overbuilds" do broadly match the order history here at TMC.

I calculated my spec to be at 0.19% of builds based on these probabilities (19" wheels at 24.3% of orders), so for every 1000 UK cars, it would be sensible for Tesla to build two in my specification - but it seems for Q1 deliveries they have not built any.. unless others got in before me, which is possible but unlikely as I ordered very soon after the 19" wheels re-appeared as an option.

I would be interested to know if after ships arrive the service centers can swap wheels or electronically add/remove FSD as required pre-delivery, as that would then increase the number of builds that meet any given spec - e.g. for my spec it would increase from 0.19% to 2.5%, allowing for an easier match of orders to deliveries.

Its funny how I have time to work all this out.. the things I do when I haven't got a VIN!

Tesla don't build Model 3's to order, so they have to estimate demand and then ship it. If they over estimate then these cars appear as inventory - as is the case with all these White cars.

I had a look at the order spreadsheets here at TMC, and from this sample, white is the most popular at 29.3%, followed by MSM and Blue (19.4%), Black (14.6%) then Red (12.4%)

FSD is in 31.5% of orders - (possibly over inflated through the sample source being TMC readers)

Interior is 24.3% White and 75.4% Black

SR+ is 19.4%, LR 53.8% and P 26.8%

So you can see that these tesla "overbuilds" do broadly match the order history here at TMC.

I calculated my spec to be at 0.19% of builds based on these probabilities (19" wheels at 24.3% of orders), so for every 1000 UK cars, it would be sensible for Tesla to build two in my specification - but it seems for Q1 deliveries they have not built any.. unless others got in before me, which is possible but unlikely as I ordered very soon after the 19" wheels re-appeared as an option.

I would be interested to know if after ships arrive the service centers can swap wheels or electronically add/remove FSD as required pre-delivery, as that would then increase the number of builds that meet any given spec - e.g. for my spec it would increase from 0.19% to 2.5%, allowing for an easier match of orders to deliveries.

Its funny how I have time to work all this out.. the things I do when I haven't got a VIN!
Great research! Regarding FSD, I'm almost certain that's something they can easily switch on and off pre-delivery - it's all software right? And IIRC you can have it enabled at any point on an existing car if you want to pay the money, but somebody might correct me on that...

Spoke with Tesla a few times today.... Car is on Brooklands, due in Zeebrugge 2nd March, will then be transported by another ship to Northern England and transported to Edinburgh. They gave me a date of Thur 10th March to collect which didn't suit me... so collecting Mon 16th March... can't wait... that will have been 9 weeks from order to delivery (if it happens as planned).

Can anyone provide me with an email address for the collection depot in Edinburgh (Cliftonhall Road)? I would like to email them to ask if the car could be charged to around 90% as I need to drive it to Cairnryan to get the boat back to NI and then drive it home. There doesn't seem to be an option on the phone system to speak to anyone except the central customer service guys.

Spoke with Tesla a few times today.... Car is on Brooklands, due in Zeebrugge 2nd March, will then be transported by another ship to Northern England and transported to Edinburgh. They gave me a date of Thur 10th March to collect which didn't suit me... so collecting Mon 16th March... can't wait... that will have been 9 weeks from order to delivery (if it happens as planned).
This is nice to hear. I emailed NHS Fleet Solutions today on the off chance there had been an update. There hasn't as such: I'm matched and awaiting an official date, but to plan around the week commencing 9th March. This is earlier than the late March that Tesla kept saying, but this and your post give me some hope. 11th March would mark 9 weeks for me.

Reactions: GPDP
Great research! Regarding FSD, I'm almost certain that's something they can easily switch on and off pre-delivery - it's all software right? And IIRC you can have it enabled at any point on an existing car if you want to pay the money, but somebody might correct me on that...

I believe you’re right. As far as I’m aware the hardware is there in every car, as they say you can add FSD post-delivery. They just need to put the software in!

Anyone leasing a company car ever been offered to match a car with additional specs? I've heard it happen in normal orders but not sure about lease.... There's a whole load of cars in the inventory that matches my spec except for the additional sport wheels which I didn't need...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but BROOKLANDS may be delayed by 24 hours, as has throttled back to 2/3rds speed after passing the Azores. Not sure what knock on effect this could have getting the cars into the UK. Mines apparently on this ship so I have been following closely!

Reactions: Brickers40
Anyone leasing a company car ever been offered to match a car with additional specs? I've heard it happen in normal orders but not sure about lease.... There's a whole load of cars in the inventory that matches my spec except for the additional sport wheels which I didn't need...
Mine wouldn't do it, they said the inventory stock were on same ship as my actual order.

After seeing (for 2nd time this week) my ordered spec in inventory I rang both Tesla and Zenith at the same time to try and get matched. Both said they would sort, later got call from Zenith saying they “couldn’t get that vin but for another one that was approximately the same as my order” - even though that vin was still on web for another 12 hours. They couldn’t clarify what approximately the same was so I rang Tesla and spoke to a very friendly Dutchman who confirmed actually the same spec and am on Glovis Captain.

might indicate some sort of differentiation between lease stock and “public” stock??

interestingly he said would give the ship detail “if it meant something to me” and emphasised that the ship would be going to Belgium and not direct to U.K. - relayed story of a customer recently who had tracked the ship then complained about why he had to pick up his car from the continent!

After seeing (for 2nd time this week) my ordered spec in inventory I rang both Tesla and Zenith at the same time to try and get matched. Both said they would sort, later got call from Zenith saying they “couldn’t get that vin but for another one that was approximately the same as my order” - even though that vin was still on web for another 12 hours. They couldn’t clarify what approximately the same was so I rang Tesla and spoke to a very friendly Dutchman who confirmed actually the same spec and am on Glovis Captain.

might indicate some sort of differentiation between lease stock and “public” stock??

interestingly he said would give the ship detail “if it meant something to me” and emphasised that the ship would be going to Belgium and not direct to U.K. - relayed story of a customer recently who had tracked the ship then complained about why he had to pick up his car from the continent!
I found it interesting that Tusker had around 55 model 3 showing in the "in stock" section last week marked as available mid march. It could be that lease companies have made big orders anticipating high demand for BIK change in April and have surplus to shift. Couldn't be that some of the inventory stock could be non-allocated lease orders?

Status
Not open for further replies.