Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can hire a company with a car trailer or transporter, to fetch it for you. This is what I'm doing on Monday.

That's always struck me as one of the more ludicrous lockdown situations.

There was a company mentioned a little earlier based in Cheshire, but who's website says they work country wide.

So I could potentially contract them to drive from Cheshire to Portsmouth, pick up my trade in, drive to Bristol, drop trade in off, collect Tesla, drive to Portsmouth, leave Tesla with me, drive back to Cheshire. Potential fuel, food, piddle stops etc at any time on these journeys. All okay.

Me, one return journey from Portsmouth to Bristol likely with less to almost certainly zero need for fuel and food, maybe one piddle stop in total on journeys. Not okay.

The ultimately riskier option is okay, the less risky one not. Life is strange these days.

Reactions: seadog

There was a company mentioned a little earlier based in Cheshire, but who's website says they work country wide.

So I could potentially contract them to drive from Cheshire to Portsmouth, pick up my trade in, drive to Bristol, drop trade in off, collect Tesla, drive to Portsmouth, leave Tesla with me, drive back to Cheshire. Potential fuel, food, piddle stops etc at any time on these journeys. All okay.

Me, one return journey from Portsmouth to Bristol likely with less to almost certainly zero need for fuel and food, maybe one piddle stop in total on journeys. Not okay.

The ultimately riskier option is okay, the less risky one not. Life is strange these days.
Yup, it’s absurd.

I got some grief for suggesting that I was prepared to get a lift to Bristol with a family member I live with to collect my new car, getting out of that car and into the Tesla, and then driving it back. I wouldn’t have interacted with anyone (unlike, for example, going to the supermarket, exercising if it’s a busy area, etc). “What if you break down and need an ambulance? Think of the resources”, as if that couldn’t happen on the way to or from a supermarket, a fully legitimate journey.

I’m compliant with the lockdown, but I’m not going to have someone lecture me about a single non-essential journey with near zero risk compared to going to any supermarket, especially when not having the car would cost me money. I’m an adult.

Yep. Completely ridiculous.

Reactions: Masklin
Just got an email to say I've been matched to a car in Southampton, so it will be making its way to Edinburgh next week! Seems crazy to transport it all the way up there but maybe all NI sales have to come out of Edinburgh?
I was originally due to collect my X from Edinburgh in March, but it got locked down in Southampton and my Belfast- Edinburgh flight cancelled. The car eventually made it up to Newcastle and Tesla drove it across to Cairnryan (many thanks Dan Burton!). I got the early ferry across as a pedestrian , killed a few hours on the coastal path, collected the car from Dan when he arrived and got the ferry back home. It might be worth asking them if they can do something similar for you.

You can hire a company with a car trailer or transporter, to fetch it for you. This is what I'm doing on Mo

I ordered my M3LR back in early February and it finally arrived a few days ago as below

AB7F19F9-E082-496F-97A5-CA5219802E68.jpeg

it is absolutely great , even if we can only drive short distances, and well worth the wait. It was delivered on a trailer by AnyVan who also took my trade in car to Leeds a few days early at my expense and they were very good.
My experience of Tesla in terms of customer service has been first rate in exceptionally difficult times. They managed to get me the car as ordered, honoured the agreed trade in and although delayed they found a way to get the car to me. Even though I became a bit of a nuisance by chasing regularly , whoever I spoke to remained courteous and most helpful. It has been a much more pleasant experience than dealing with BMW, Audi or Volvo salesmen in their smart suits and flash showrooms!
Finally, just to reiterate it is by far the best car I have had , without even having a good drive in it

Spoke to Zenith - they re-confirmed that no one at Zenith will approve a delivery/collection to go ahead even if an inventory vehicle is available to be matched given that it would involve non-essential travel to get it to me or for me to pick it up. (Given I'm using a salary sacrifice scheme via my employer and my employer isn't in the essential category I can understand this default response).

Can't argue with their rationale so think it's a waiting game for who knows how long. Here's hoping Boris's plans later this week provide some kind of clarity/easing in this particular area!

I think at this point the rational thing to do is to let businesses reopen and only mandate social distancing and the wearing of PPE where possible (although I think they might just say social distancing, otherwise businesses will be competing with the NHS for supplies).

They might say that places like pubs, cinemas and other venues where social distancing is effectively impossible can't reopen.

The trend in Europe is that lockdowns are starting to be eased, so I would expect that to follow here, even though we're in pretty bad shape deaths wise relative to other places.

I can see Boris doing something on Friday as its VE Day and he's big on symbolism - liberation and freedom and all that

But I also imagine it will be measured.
:D personally I don't think so... Seems a bit outlandish to pin something so significant on a relatively arbitrary and unrelated day but happy to be proven wrong!

They have to announce whether the lockdown is being extended / modified / etc by Thursday (per the law).

I would expect it will be forward looking i.e. lockdown extended with certain things easing from date x, other things from date y - seems to be how others are doing it.

I'm just hoping part of that is car factories and showrooms can open with social distancing etc!

Richjill

You were lucky with the trade-in. They didn't honour my quote from early February. On Friday, they knocked it down from £7000 to £5204, and I'm due to have the Model 3 picked up today. So, effectively 1 day's notice to find another £1796. There goes the goverment's gift of no luxury tax - already spent.

Mind it could be worse. According to the Tesla person I spoke to, a chap had a quote of £68,000 trade-in for his Range Rover, and they just knocked it down to £50,000. Ouch! Not suprisingly, he cancelled his Model X order.

Got a question/need some feedback from you guys? Had a nightmare call from Tesla today the car. The M3 that they told me was in Leeds, apparently there was an error on their system and its still in the dock in LA and didn't make it into the ship. They don't really have a confirmed date for the next delivery, maybe 5 weeks at the very earliest. They do have one my spec (midnight grey) but with white seats?!? I've always been apprehensive with which in case it stains etc??? Any thoughts would be welcome

I’m in exactly the same boat. They’ve had many cancellations so have a large surplus of cars to still sell. Demand is currently very low. The likelihood they’ll unmatch you is slim. For example, why unmatch your car for someone else, which is time consuming for Tesla, when they can just allocate them an inventory car of which their are plenty available (more than appear on their website). I had a similar conversation with them yesterday and they advised to do the 7 day extension (actually got a text to say my new collection date is May 11th) and then call them the day before if lockdown still hasn’t been lifted. My gut feel is that they’ll extend to the date when lockdown is relaxed, a date we should hopefully know next week. My car is in Birmingham, all the paperwork is done, the Reg allocated and all things my end in place. I guess if someone near Birmingham really wanted a car with my spec then it’s there ready to go, but that would mean them allocating me one of the cars in Southampton and redoing all the paperwork and system changes again if I’m unmatched. Just can’t see it happening.

Hi I am in the same position. Delivery was arranged for tomorrow 5 May but I called last week to say I couldn’t pick it up due to the lockdown. I was told that I should be ok to have the same car after lockdown and that I wouldn’t be unmatched as there were plenty in inventory. I just called now to double check and have been told I was unmatched! I was angry at this having been misled last week and asked why the person got ‘my’ car and not an inventory car and was told it was given because it was ready to go last week. This is odd as I had a delivery booked for tomorrow!! So be careful that you don’t get unmatched.

Got a question/need some feedback from you guys? Had a nightmare call from Tesla today the car. The M3 that they told me was in Leeds, apparently there was an error on their system and its still in the dock in LA and didn't make it into the ship. They don't really have a confirmed date for the next delivery, maybe 5 weeks at the very earliest. They do have one my spec (midnight grey) but with white seats?!? I've always been apprehensive with which in case it stains etc??? Any thoughts would be welcome

Me, I'd take the grey one with white seats in an instant...

I've had an order in since January for a blue M3P with white seats and have not even been matched...

Last edited:
Reactions: Slr88
I have white seats. I’d go for them again in a heartbeat. It lifts the car to a whole new level.

Reactions: Slr88
Hi I am in the same position. Delivery was arranged for tomorrow 5 May but I called last week to say I couldn’t pick it up due to the lockdown. I was told that I should be ok to have the same car after lockdown and that I wouldn’t be unmatched as there were plenty in inventory. I just called now to double check and have been told I was unmatched! I was angry at this having been misled last week and asked why the person got ‘my’ car and not an inventory car and was told it was given because it was ready to go last week. This is odd as I had a delivery booked for tomorrow!! So be careful that you don’t get unmatched.
That’s not good to hear.

With our cars then they are sat in delivery centres waiting to go, so it’s easier for Tesla to pass one of these cars onto a “new” buyer straight away and secure the deal, knowing they then have a week or so to do the paperwork and transfer of one of the cars sat in the docks at Southampton, or wherever else they’ve temporarily stored the cars, to us.

I’m going to ring them on Thursday after Boris’s update to confirm collection (if lockdown is lifted), or defer.

Status
Not open for further replies.