Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50.1 voice commands UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partial success, Got it to switch off the heated front seats. It increased and decreased the fan speed but it just will not show me the rear camera.
I assume the microphone is above the rear view mirror. I'm sat in my car in the driveway looking like a right twerp talking to the roof. Just as well nobody could here my John Wayne accent - even the Tesla rejected it.

Partial success, Got it to switch off the heated front seats. It increased and decreased the fan speed but it just will not show me the rear camera.
I assume the microphone is above the rear view mirror. I'm sat in my car in the driveway looking like a right twerp talking to the roof. Just as well nobody could here my John Wayne accent - even the Tesla rejected it.
Hah, just done exactly the same. I waved sheepishly at the next door neighbour who was staring at me like I'd gone mad! "SHOW ME THE FECKING TYRE PRESSURES"

I spent half an hour sitting in a car park trying various voice commands this morning. Pretty impressed, TBH. 99% of the time the commands were interpreted OK, but there were a lot of "that function isn't available yet" messages. For example, "open frunk" (when in park) was always correctly interpreted, but it isn't functioning (yet). I assume that all the commands that get correctly interpreted are being parsed OK, and are probably be on a list of future voice activated functions, so, with luck, I think we can probably look forward to further enhancements before too long.

Of the four or five cars I've owned that have had some form of voice control, the Model 3 is streets ahead of any of the others now. The crazy thing is that, when I bought it a couple of months ago, it was far and away the worst car I've owned in terms of voice command functionality, and wouldn't even dial a 'phone number reliably.

I spent half an hour sitting in a car park trying various voice commands this morning. Pretty impressed, TBH. 99% of the time the commands were interpreted OK, but there were a lot of "that function isn't available yet" messages. For example, "open frunk" (when in park) was always correctly interpreted, but it isn't functioning (yet). I assume that all the commands that get correctly interpreted are being parsed OK, and are probably be on a list of future voice activated functions, so, with luck, I think we can probably look forward to further enhancements before too long.

Of the four or five cars I've owned that have had some form of voice control, the Model 3 is streets ahead of any of the others now. The crazy thing is that, when I bought it a couple of months ago, it was far and away the worst car I've owned in terms of voice command functionality, and wouldn't even dial a 'phone number reliably.

So "show me the rear camera" works for you?

I spent half an hour sitting in a car park trying various voice commands this morning.

Would you have been in Park and connected by WiFi? The quality of the data connection seems to have a bearing on voice recognition success. Worth trying it out whilst driving around to see if there's a difference. For me it's more likely to recognise voice commands on WiFi than when on the go. But having said that, it's definitely improved.

Interesting how these things vary. My voice commands don't work at all on LTE and on wi-fi it will occasionally open the glovebox which is the least useful command anyway! I have tried all the various reboot options with and without the usb dashcam and nothing yet. Hoping Tesla get a fix before adding anything else.

So "show me the rear camera" works for you?

Sorry, this was one I didn't check! I'll try it next time.

Would you have been in Park and connected by WiFi? The quality of the data connection seems to have a bearing on voice recognition success. Worth trying it out whilst driving around to see if there's a difference. For me it's more likely to recognise voice commands on WiFi than when on the go. But having said that, it's definitely improved.

I was in a car park, with a good LTE connection, but no wifi, so that may have had a bearing on how well the system worked. It did seem to be pretty good at doing the voice recognition bit, in that spoken commands came up on the screen quickly and were mostly accurate. It may well be that being stationary, with a good connection back to the Tesla servers, helped a lot.

I know this isn't relevant to the current situation, but wouldn't it be nice if Tesla did a software update (that worked) so that a driver issued a predetermined set of instructions, which it would link to the driver profile, purely for the car to learn intonation of an individual and from there applied that somehow to driver commands. It might even be able to store a set of what that driver deemed essential commands in that drivers personal manner of identification e.g. cool down, warm up, wipers on, front/rear screen demist etc.

I'm ignorant of the feasibility of such an update - 'but wouldn't it be nice'?

Reactions: Adopado and pow216
I know this isn't relevant to the current situation, but wouldn't it be nice if Tesla did a software update (that worked) so that a driver issued a predetermined set of instructions, which it would link to the driver profile, purely for the car to learn intonation of an individual and from there applied that somehow to driver commands. It might even be able to store a set of what that driver deemed essential commands in that drivers personal manner of identification e.g. cool down, warm up, wipers on, front/rear screen demist etc.

That's how google does it so why not. My Google homes know who is speaking to it. So e.g. if one of us says. I lost my phone. It will ring the correct one. We each had to do voice training on it before it worked.
Google is the widely acknowledged leader in this field though so it may take a while for Tesla (and everyone else) to catch up though . May not be no1 priority.

Since 50.7 no voice commands work on my 2018 S even when interpreted correctly - and that interpretation is more prone to error than before.
I sometimes think that when Tesla send updates they send a number of variations and scatter them to the winds to find which work best and this time i got a short straw.

That's exactly how it can/should be done. I was just reading about it yesterday in relation to Google devices ... smooths the way to managing some local processing so that we are less dependant on good data connection and eases the burden on Tesla's servers.