Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get in an IndyCar and pull 240 at Indianapolis....you'll s*it your Navy pants. Best part is that you are trained to handle the g's, so you get to remain fully conscious and aware of the fact that you just s*it your Navy pants. :)

P.s. thank you for your service.
Good question. I wonder, yet I'm probably one of the few that doesn't care about a 5% improvement of anything. As a former Navy flyer, I don't get excited about vehicle that doesn't do Mach 2 :D Give me a 5% price cut and that might get my attention :cool:
Navy hasn’t had a Mach 2 jet in many years.

Don’t date yourself there.

Installed 8.2 tonight. Immersive Sound options are gone as in they are no longer appear on the display.
LR RWD no range improvement, get 275 miles at a 90% charge which is still below 310 miles let alone 325. I was surprised that the update interrupted charging and then restarted charging automatically after the update was done.
Will do a full charge later this week. Haven't driven it yet so nothing else to report.

• Informative
Reactions: kayleia
Installed 8.2 tonight. Immersive Sound options are gone as in they are no longer appear on the display.
LR RWD no range improvement, get 275 miles at a 90% charge which is still below 310 miles let alone 325. I was surprised that the update interrupted charging and then restarted charging automatically after the update was done.
Will do a full charge later this week. Haven't driven it yet so nothing else to report.
Updates have, at least ones that I've experienced (and I've sat in the car during the updates on quite a few), always stop charging during the update process.

I doubt it works like that. It’s around a 5% increase in peak peformance. Doesn’t necessarily directly translate to 5% improvement on 0-60 times.

Yea, it's not linear. BUT....based off dyno runs of P3Ds, those cars should now be putting out ~486HP at peak.

Those are the kind of numbers you can take to the old school muscle car guys in your family and watch their jaws drop.

"but, but, but....I had a car in high school that could beat it..."

"no...you didn't." :p:D:p:D:p

Reactions: wenkan and PoitNarf

Have you noticed a difference in sound? I don't get why they'd remove that, unless it's a bug.

Are there any talks about AWD getting a performance boost too? When I bought the car you could get the 3.5,4.5,5.5 model. Now it’s 3.2,4.5,5.1. No love for AWD

Actually it's 3.2, 4.5, and 5.0 by official numbers.

But the P is cheating by not counting rollout like the others so it's really 3.4, 4.5, and 5.0

And likely the 4.5 is Tesla refusing to update that # to 4.4 to not cannibalize P sales, since Elon expressly said the AWD gets the same 5% boost as all the others do.

• Informative
Reactions: golfpilot
Actually it's 3.2, 4.5, and 5.0 by official numbers.

But the P is cheating by not counting rollout like the others so it's really 3.4, 4.5, and 5.0

And likely the 4.5 is Tesla refusing to update that # to 4.4 to not cannibalize P sales, since Elon expressly said the AWD gets the same 5% boost as all the others do.
But so far the software release notes don't mention any power increase for AWD cars and it's explicitly called out for the RWD and P. So no mention of it in release notes and no update to 0-60 times suggests that there's no power boost for non-P AWD unfortunately, regardless of what Musk said.

But so far the software release notes don't mention any power increase for AWD cars and it's explicitly called out for the RWD and P. So no mention of it in release notes and no update to 0-60 times suggests that there's no power boost for non-P AWD unfortunately, regardless of what Musk said.
To be fair, 2019.5.15 didn't explicitly call out Sentry mode either, yet everyone got that feature. Though I still think they will update the AWD once the 3 Series 340xi is available, but that is me probably being optimistic...

Yeah- so there's a few possibilities-

1) The increase is there- but like with the 0-60 times they're just "forgetting" to mention it to help P sales... someone with draggy could maybe test this before/after they have 8.2

2) The increase is being held back for the AWD non-P, possibly for 340xi reasons (I mentioned this quite a while back in a thread about any uncork on AWD- that Tesla would most likely hold it back till they needed to beat BMW on something)

3) There's some programming reasons it's coming later we're not aware of (this seems least likely- if it was ONLY published for the RWD it might make some sense, that they need to tweak it for all dual motor cars- but issuing it for the RWD and P suggests 1 or 2 are more likely.... but I suppose since the AWD is the most software-neutered version to start with it might require more work to uncork in precisely as small an amount as indicated)

What does your butt dyno tell you? Is it faster?

I'm not sure. It did seem to launch a bit harder, but I'm too susceptible to the placebo effect at this point since I knew in advance of the coming increase and was expecting it. I wouldn't trust my butt dyno right now.

The reverse cam bug where it blacked out for a moment each time I selected reverse seems to be fixed now. I can confirm that the immersive audio settings are now gone. I assume it's just always on now.

Could be a staggered rollout. Some LR RWD reported increased range in 5.15. I’m on 8.2 with 5% boost and still have 310 miles rated range.

EDIT: I checked TeslaFi and as of 2019.5.15 it's actually reporting 314 miles @ 100% (extrapolated) so my statement above isn't technically correct. Far from 325 miles though. Has anyone seen anything above 320 miles?

Last edited:
I received this update this morning. It told me the update failed and my screen was locked out. After rebooting and having a black screen for several minutes it came back up and all seems fine.

I doubt it works like that. It’s around a 5% increase in peak peformance. Doesn’t necessarily directly translate to 5% improvement on 0-60 times.
I'm very curious to see what the new HP/TQ curves look like. Agreed that the 5% bump could bring in very little change from 0-60 or quarter mile, or it could be a few tenths.

Could be a staggered rollout. Some LR RWD reported increased range in 5.15. I’m on 8.2 with 5% boost and still have 310 miles rated range.

EDIT: I checked TeslaFi and as of 2019.5.15 it's actually reporting 314 miles @ 100% (extrapolated) so my statement above isn't technically correct. Far from 325 miles though. Has anyone seen anything above 320 miles?

Interesting. I charged to 100% after I got the 2019.5.15 update to see if my meter was 325 miles, and I made it to 312, the first time I've ever been over 310. But not very close to the new 325 figure...