Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused--what roads/highways am I currently 'allowed' to use EAP on that have stoplights??
According to the manual it's "officially" allowed on limited access roads. Here in the Bay Area we have a number of expressways that have intersections (and EAP can be used on them without speed restriction). Personally I only use EAP on these if there's stop-and-go traffic though. I won't trust automatic traffic light recognition anytime soon ...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Well, that is an interesting question. Maybe this technically only applies to when a limited access freeway ends and converts to a highway with stop lights?

Will be interesting to see the user manual update associated with this release. I am sure it will be full of “don’t use AP except on highways, but if you do choose to use it on city streets, we might still warn you about running red lights. Wink, wink”

This is probably what Tesla will do, and even by Tesla's past practice standards, releasing an AP feature that can only be used in circumstance where they say AP should not be used is insanely cynical.

This is certainly a pessimistic view.

Why is that pessimistic? It appears to me to satisfy the accounting rules to recognize FSD revenue. FSD is delivered - even though it's a small piece - and that would allow all of the liabilities to come off the books for the FSD deposits put down and recognize those dollars as net income.

That may make the difference between a loss and a profit this quarter - and if I were Elon, I'd be shooting for a blowout quarter just to shut people the hell up.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Why is that pessimistic? It appears to me to satisfy the accounting rules to recognize FSD revenue. FSD is delivered - even though it's a small piece - and that would allow all of the liabilities to come off the books for the FSD deposits put down and recognize those dollars as net income.

That may make the difference between a loss and a profit this quarter - and if I were Elon, I'd be shooting for a blowout quarter just to shut people the hell up.
How is a potential warning, whether audible or on the screen enough functionality to be considered FSD to satisfy accounting rules?

How is a potential warning, whether audible or on the screen enough functionality to be considered FSD to satisfy accounting rules?

Reading stoplights? That wasn't a function of EAP, and is a function defined under FSD description now.

I admit it's weak, but I'm sure a creative accountant can make it work.

The way it works now, "autosteer stop light warning" is a safety feature that would not be FSD. However, it is clearly related to traffic light recognition which is listed under FSD. Maybe "autosteer stop light warning" will stay as a EAP feature but when it matures to being able to stop the car at a red light, that part of the feature will be FSD only?

Reactions: APotatoGod
It is also worth noting that EAP is already getting features that we know Tesla has put under FSD (NOA without confirmation, Auto Park and Enhanced Summon). So it is entirely possible that Tesla considers "autosteer stop light warning" to be a FSD feature since it is so closely related to traffic light recognition but that EAP will get it too. I would imagine the new basic AP will not get "autosteer stop light warning".

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

It's not. It does not satisfy Tesla's performance obligation. Maybe you could argue for recognizing a very small portion. Of course, Tesla has also never been clear on what exactly they're selling, so I'm sure the whole thing is a lot of fun for their accountants and auditors.

It is also worth noting that EAP is already getting features that we know Tesla has put under FSD (NOA without confirmation, Auto Park and Enhanced Summon). So it is entirely possible that Tesla considers "autosteer stop light warning" to be a FSD feature since it is so closely related to traffic light recognition but that EAP will get it too. I would imagine the new basic AP will not get "autosteer stop light warning".

Is there any video out there showing NOA without confirmation?