Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the value of warning the driver if they might run a red light. That would be an obvious safety feature. But does anyone feel like it would be better if the car displayed a traffic light icon on the screen to show the driver what AP sees? That way the driver could see on the screen if AP sees a red or green light. By doing this, we would get more direct confirmation if AP is doing a good job of seeing a red light. My "concern" with the current feature is that you'll only know if AP is correctly seeing a red light if you run through a red light which you can't do. So you'll never see the feature in action because you will naturally avoid ever being in a situation to need it.

Absolutely 100% first FSD release. Achieves 2 things: early proof of concept AND Tesla can now “realize” all the FSD $$$ they collected (especially in the recent FSD “fire sale”) on their first quarter 2019 balance sheet to offset slower S and X sales

I think there is probably some truth to this, even tho I also appreciate the feature itself. Recognizing revenue is a big deal for publicly traded companies.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I am not sure "autosteer stop light warning" is intended as a basic safety feature. If it was, it would need to work when auto steer was not engaged since that is when it would be most useful to help drivers avoid running through red lights. It is also worth noting that when auto steer is engaged, your car won't run a red light if there is a car in front that correctly stops for the red light. The only time auto steer would run a red light is if you are using AP on a local road with no traffic in front of you and the light turns red. So the feature seems to be designed to help drivers who misuse AP on local roads by engaging AP and not paying attention when the light turns red and there is no car in front to cause TACC to slow down. This feature will warn the driver in those instances that AP is about to run a red light. Additionally, since the feature only works with auto steer engaged, it is likely a precursor to AP eventually stopping for the red light on its own.

Received the update last night like many others. Car (LR RWD) might feel a bit punchier, but I'm not convinced that its mostly placebo.

I charged to 100% again for a trip today and I'm still seeing 310m on the dot. Wonder whats going on with the 'range increase' that should have also hit.

Theres allot more at play here. Vehicles are allot smarter than everyone thinks. Dont know it this applies to this situation but some vehicles monitor eye movement and knows when your eyes leave the road. It detects if you are paying attention. Toyota first came out with this software years ago. This is also why allot of vehicles with auto braking dont always bake automatically. An ideal test would be at a controlled intersection with autopilot enabled with the driver looking away while someone safely controls the intersection. IE crossgaurd.

• Love
Reactions: PaulJohn
Theres allot more at play here. Vehicles are allot smarter than everyone thinks. Dont know it this applies to this situation but some vehicles monitor eye movement and knows when your eyes leave the road. It detects if you are paying attention. Toyota first came out with this software years ago. This is also why allot of vehicles with auto braking dont always bake automatically. An ideal test would be at a controlled intersection with autopilot enabled with the driver looking away while someone safely controls the intersection. IE crossgaurd.
This.

Are you saying our Teslas have driver monitoring/and could be able to do drowsiness detection one day ?

Are you saying our Teslas have driver monitoring/and could be able to do drowsiness detection one day ?

Model 3's have a driver facing camera so in theory, they could do drowsiness detection with the right software. The current Model S and X don't have the driver facing camera so they lack the hardware. But a future refresh Model S and X might get the camera.