Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Stronger Regen Over 30 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound like a stupid question but where in the world do you find info on what is included on the updates? I don't see them in my account on the Tesla site, on my app or in the car. Am I missing it somewhere? Or did you smart peeps just find it somewhere online?

This may sound like a stupid question but where in the world do you find info on what is included on the updates? I don't see them in my account on the Tesla site, on my app or in the car. Am I missing it somewhere? Or did you smart peeps just find it somewhere online?

In the car click on the Tesla T at the top of the screen. A little window will pop up and at the bottom of the window, next to your software version number, is a button that says “Release Notes”. Click that.

Reactions: RachH
I understand the cold weather battery chemistry issues but there may be another consideration to think about... Did anybody ever see the notice that you should be very careful on icy roads to make sure when taking your foot off of the accelerator because regenerative braking could actually cause you to slide as though you'd hit the brakes? Is it possible that Tesla, in their desire to avoid being accused of causing people to crash at speeds over 30 mph, is updating/reprogramming the cars to limit regen during the winter?

Anything is possible but it's unlikely. The more reasonable explanation is that the traction control system is very sensitive to the feedback from the wheels during regen braking. For winter tires the measurements are causing the system to ease off to avoid potential slippage. It seems the system was calibrated with the OEM tires and the winter tires messed up the programming. It was (at least partially) addressed with a firmware update mid-winter.

And usually the release notes pop up on the screen the first time you enter the car after an update. But the notes haven't been complete, and they're often a bit confusing as to what *really* changed.

We had the first taste of spring on the west coast and regen is so much stronger, you don't realize how long its been since you have had full regen. You don't really notice the loss of regen as it gets cold but you sure notice when it gets warm. Its good and bad though because my wife is getting a little motion sick as a passenger again.

Don’t remove your foot all the way. Then it’s not so jarring.

https://i.imgur.com/tGW1MT5.png

Post from Reddit shows power increase at different speeds for AWD, as well as regen at different speeds. I don't see any differences in regen in this data, but the power increase is pretty clear.

I've seen some other discussion that the throttle map may have changed to makes things feel peppier even if there's no power increase at low speeds, but I have no data on that. It's plausible that brake pedal regen mapping could change as well, even if regen power isn't increased.

Butt dynos, both acceleration and deceleration, are notoriously unreliable.

Last edited:
What is wrong with you people...
Just to lighten the mood in the thread. :p I kept hearing this when I read that response. :p
tenor.gif

No, it's definitely not the weather. I've experienced many warm days since purchasing the car in November of last year, and the regen never worked like it did today after the 8.3 update. In fact, I drove the car this afternoon, before the update, when it was about 5 degrees warmer than when I drove it after the update, and the increased regen was immediately apparent. The difference was very distinct.

So with no change to regen based on software and you are 100% sure it was not temperature, I guess it was the regen fairy :)
Maybe you need to take your dyno in to be serviced I think you might have gotten you head stuck in it :)

Or maybe his car was suffering from something causing the limited regen and this version fixed it for him.

I'm just making fun because his reaction was less than subtle and it could have been many things all of them reasonable suggestions. There is clear scientific evidence that it was not software and there is clear science that temperature and other climate related variables make a very large impact. I don't think it was unreasonable for people to point that out. When you start going all caps with I KNOW expect a little grieve over it.

And usually the release notes pop up on the screen the first time you enter the car after an update. But the notes haven't been complete, and they're often a bit confusing as to what *really* changed.

I agree. AND the last time there was an update and I got into my car, it didn't stay on the screen for some reason and I couldn't bring it back up. Grrrrrrr.

To be clear to anyone confused by this and the thread title- that graph shows 8% power increase over 45.

It shows no regen increase at all.
There's maybe a hair of an increase there? Hard to tell because of the selected Y-axis scale vs the absolute kW of the regen.

It is also for an AWD Model 3, not the RWD that the OP has. It is possible there's been another tweak of regen for the RWD, Tesla has already done that at least once.