Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 deliveries get free AP/FSD upgrade, 2018 deliveries get nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD was $3k ($5k after delivery) when I ordered my LR RWD with EAP. My account now shows that I can upgrade to FSD for $3k as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

upload_2019-3-2_0-8-41.png

I seriously doubt that folks that took delivery in 2019 are getting anything for free.

Oh and btw...
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximilien
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

I seriously doubt that folks that took delivery in 2019 are getting anything for free.
Don't quote me but I am guessing that people being told it's free simply because most FSD features available today can be had with the original EAP and the Tesla people didn't communicate that precisely. The new blog post mentions nothing of that sort for 2019 deliveries.

I don't get this. What makes 2019 deliveries more special that they would get FSD for free? The tax credit has nothing to do with it, since Tesla dropped their prices in Jan to account for this. So why would they still get something for free? The price difference between a 2018 and a 2019 car was about $1,500 (taking the tax credit into account). I think there's a lot of misinformation out there right now. Tesla CS aren't exactly the brightest folks I've spoken with either.

Tesla has already said that FSD will be $3K as an add-on and full FSD (auto pilot + FSD) will be $5K. That's the only part that I'm pissed about.

Uggh, Tesla makes another move to devalue existing cars.

I paid $8K for EAP and FSD in November. Now, 3 months later, those features cost $5K. My consolation price is “Early Access Program” access, something I already had through referrals, and which, to this point, has not yielded new software updates earlier than anyone else.

I wish Tesla would pursue solutions that maintain resale value rather than destroying it. Like I said, one option would be to create a new $3K “Enhanced Performance Option” to increase power output or reduce 0-60 times, and to give that to anyone that purchased EAP and FSD prior to December 31. Another option would be to give those customers a $3-5K discount on their next Tesla vehicle purchase.

Last edited:
This is going to backfire on Tesla. If I'm ordering a new one today, I'll probably skip buying AP/FSD and just wait until they discount the price down the road. As an added benefit, I won't be paying annual registration fees on the higher value.

Does anyone know what happens to current enhanced autopilot package now that features are split differently between AP and FSD? I have navigate on autopilot (don't care for) and summon (I can see how you may need to use that) - which are now part of FSD. The only part I like is the change lanes feature with the signal stalk without disengaging autopilot - and I would hate to lose that. Did Tesla communicate whether current features will be removed on future software updates?

Does anyone know what happens to current enhanced autopilot package now that features are split differently between AP and FSD? I have navigate on autopilot (don't care for) and summon (I can see how you may need to use that) - which are now part of FSD. The only part I like is the change lanes feature with the signal stalk without disengaging autopilot - and I would hate to lose that. Did Tesla communicate whether current features will be removed on future software updates?

They did, and they will not.

Yeah, interesting. I'm a 2019 delivery w/ EAP that jumped on the $3k option that appeared in my account yesterday for FSD.
  • Contacted support yesterday - was told (and have chat transcript saved) that if you took delivery in 2019 with EAP, you would get FSD for free and I would get refunded my $3k.
  • Blog post (which you quoted) from Tesla says ANY car purchased with EAP prior to 28 Feb 2019 would be able to add FSD for $3k
  • Tweet from Elon says ANY car purchased with EAP prior to 28 Feb 2019 would be able to add FSD for $2k and later tweet that anyone who paid $3k yesterday would get $1k refunded.
Not sure what to do at this point... you think my chat transcript holds any weight?

Yeah, interesting. I'm a 2019 delivery w/ EAP that jumped on the $3k option that appeared in my account yesterday for FSD.
  • Contacted support yesterday - was told (and have chat transcript saved) that if you took delivery in 2019 with EAP, you would get FSD for free and I would get refunded my $3k.
  • Blog post (which you quoted) from Tesla says ANY car purchased with EAP prior to 28 Feb 2019 would be able to add FSD for $3k
  • Tweet from Elon says ANY car purchased with EAP prior to 28 Feb 2019 would be able to add FSD for $2k and later tweet that anyone who paid $3k yesterday would get $1k refunded.
Not sure what to do at this point... you think my chat transcript holds any weight?

Doubt it. You could try to hold someones feet to the fire for it, and likely get them reprimanded / fired, and still be told "sorry everything was in flux yesterday, here is your 1k refund which is the official statement on the matter".

You could try though.

I purchased a $49,000 2018 model 3 and did not select EAP. My account shows $2,000 to get AP.

So, if I purchased my same exact car today I would pay $2,050 more.

If I purchased AP for my car today I would pay $1,050 more for the same specs.

$49,000+$1,000 (destination)+$2,000-$7,500
vs.
$43,000+$1,200+$3,000-$3,750

I knew I should wait for the price to drop when I purchased it but I chose to buy it. Totally worth an extra year of driving it!

A close friend showed me their account for a 2016 HW 2 model X without AP nor EAP (ordered before EAP was announced, I think there are some S and X owners that have HW 2 that have had only AP features for years). The account shows $3,000 for AP (the same price as original offered for AP). Their account previous showed $6,000 to upgrade to EAP.

Last edited: