Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering. How do you add form 8911 when its released in TT? Where would form 8911 be located in deductions? I know 8936 was under Vehicles.

They are working to release form 8936 this week based on their last reply today.

Solved: Re: Form 8936 (2019) - Page 7 - Community

"4 hours ago

TurboTax programs our software and forms based on information and instructions provided by the IRS.

The forms initially expected to be available today (February 12, 2020) in TurboTax were subjected to additional last-minute updates from the IRS.

As @godsbeloved_03 pointed out above, the new date from the IRS for the eFile version of the form is now listed as 2/14/2020, although I am hesitant to quote that date.

We will add the form back to our list as soon as our developers have the opportunity to review the changes made overnight and determine what is required to program them for our software.

We can't comment on what any other company has available - we only know that as of today, there is no IRS approved version of the form available for the e-File system. "

If there were last minute changes from the IRS, then do you think other tax company's efile were affected too?
This nonsense from Turbotax is the last straw for me. Well, I am going to bag Turbotax since they have not got their act together for one freaking form. It is not rocket science! For those who have turbotax, you can get a refund for the download package etc if it was purchased within in the last 60 days.

I just updated Turbotax and it downloaded the 8936 form; but it has an error. Line 4a has the correct 7,500 credit and line 4b has the correct 25% phase out for a Model 3 purchased last September; but line 4c should be 7,500 X 25% = 1,875 but it has the full 7,500!

I am having the same issue. However, when I click view form, the 8936 that comes up mentions NOTHING about phase out. It says that the credit value is calculated based off of battery size... If I leave TurboTax to do the calculation is comes back with a $7500 credit. Might have to wait for them to correct the form or just enter the $1875 on line A

I am so close to switching over to creditkarma if turbotax haven't gotten their $h!t together by the time the 8911 form is release.

The only reason I haven't yet is that I have already imported all my tax information into TT already. I am just waiting on form 8936 and 8911 to submit everything.
just go through freetaxusa.com if you're all ready to submit. you can upload your prior years pdf to pre-populate as well.

Reactions: Mattzilla
You can get around the bug in Turbotax, by selecting field 4c in 8936 (clicking-on it), typing CTRL-D and then put 1875 into the field. Then everything works right

You get a warning that you can't or shouldn't e-file with an override in this field.

Pretty frustrating that turbotax knows the correct percentage of the tax credit based on the purchase date, but then it fails to multiply the two numbers correctly.

I would have thought with the delay it might have been Intuit doing QA testing. Forgetting to test multiplying the credit by the phase-out percentage is weak. Hopefully most people filing with 2019 Tesla's realize the error and don't think they get the full credit.

I just added the Model 3 to my taxes in TurboTax and the last page of the Energy Efficient Vehicles section had a box to "adjust" the savings to what it should be if 7500 was the incorrect number. I changed it to 1875 and it worked.

I was switching last night and filling out freetaxusa or freeusatax and the refund was actually less than what Turbotax would be with my $3750 tax credit. so I stopped and didn't finish it.
I will wait for Turbotax...