Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TurboTax worked for me. I just manually changed $7500 rebate to $3750
I did the same for the car.

Edit: Form 8911 will be available on 2/20/20

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.42.13 PM.png

Last edited:
I had my NEMA 14-50 installed specifically for charging. I found my invoice and it wasn’t a lot (just under $500) and just says “Garage Circuit, car outlet” for the description.... think that’s enough to get the credit for charging?

Ofcourse. Its only an issue if you get audited. If that actually happened, you would just show them the receipt. Most ppl wont even have a receipt. At the end of the day, its $200 or whatever it is, they have bigger issues than ppl trying to scam EV charger credits.

Reactions: SlimJim
Same here, only my situation is that I bought the NEMA-1450 from Tesla and paid my landlord (retired electrician) to install the circuit breaker ($400). So I'm not sure if I even qualify for the 8911 Credit

OH! I forgot that I bought my NEMA 14-50 adapter plug from Tesla and receptacle from Amazon. I think that was another $100 ($35 + ~$75) wonder if I can add that in too.... I could dig up receipts for those...

woah, we can claim tax credits on the charging adaptors?

They're talking about charge equipment... I would assume if a HPWC would count (which as far as I know, it does), than the adapter is required to make a NEMA 14-50 work with the car, so if I can take the credit on the NEMA 14-50 since it was written up as "car charging" by my electrician than you probably should be able to include the adapter. I assume if you bought a wired mobile connector you could write that off just like the HPWC...

You only get ~$10/adapter though, and you might have to explain something if you get hit with an audit and show you wrote off four different adapters and only had one type of plug in your garage (say you used the others for when traveling, etc). But I think I'm going to try to bundle everything that honestly was required to plug my Tesla in at home at level 2 (in my case, the 14-50 charging adapter, the Hubbell 14-50 receptacle [which i purchased for my electrician] and the actual material and labor cost my electrician billed me). I think I'll exclude all the sales tax on those since I believe it's all tax exempt in Washington state, but I didn't realize that until after the fact, and it's honestly not worth ~$50 for me to contact my electrician and explain it to him and get a refund.

wait.
freetaxusa allowed me to get $180 but Turbotax is not even asking me to enter the info.
I looked at Form 8911 and it look like it is for business owners?

edit: I am still searching on Turbotax ....
This might be too late but in TurboTax, under the Deductions & Credits, right after the Energy-Efficient Vehicles comes Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station

So, for whatever reason, when I enter in all my information for my model 3, purchased 10/2 and placed in service 12/21, it shows a credit of $0.... WHY? (both on turbotax and taxslayer)

Anyone else have this issue? Are they bouncing my VIN off of a database and showing it was not placed in service before the new year? I am confused.