Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3P insurance rocketed this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In England. Last year's was about £350, this year's over £600. No incident or anything added to the policy since. Used comparethemarket.com etc. and that was the best I found. Anyone else had a similar experience or just me?

Last edited:
I'd dream of £600.

My first year insurance was £800 odd, and it's gone up every year bar one since then despite the fact I haven't made a claim, etc. I'm in my forties, 18 years NCD, no points, limited mileage etc.

I paid just shy of £1k to LV= to renew back in March. Novo wanted nearly £1400.

Reactions: dspwhite
My renewal this month for 2020 M3P, garaged, no claims, max NCB etc went from £340 to £670. Couldn’t find a meaningfully cheaper quote for the same level of cover via a selection of comparison sites or direct quotes.

Whilst I can appreciate the reasons where some of the increase may have come from and indeed expected an increase, doubling seemed excessive.

Reactions: dspwhite
Just remembered this from recent TOC newsletter…

6b325c8b-0b61-cd7a-1d2e-277e1a804d24.png

Insurance Meeting​

With a growing number of members & owners outside of our community frustrated at insurance premiums for Tesla vehicles continuing to rise (often sharply compared with the year prior) I spoke with Tesla Leadership todayon your behalf and I can feedback the following:
  1. Tesla are clearly well aware of these concerns and have already been meeting with insurance organisation / companies to push for change.
  2. Tesla are planning to run more proactive meeting formats with the insurance industry.
  3. Tesla are also planning some other initiatives behind the scenes with their Tesla Body Repair Centre expansion and Tesla Approved Body Shop network.
  4. Sadly no news on Tesla's own insurance options.
Tesla didn't ask for this but if anyone has any feedback, ideas or similar they want to share about insurance feel free to post in the comments below and I'll be sure to get the Tesla team on here to take a read of all the comments after a couple of days.

Regards,
Will Fealey
Tesla Owners UK President

In 2023, quotes have gone up 20% across the board for all cars I think: Has car insurance gone up 2023?

Common For my own quote, that means there's still another 50% to account for. Maybe Tesla 3Ps get in more wrecks due to the awesome acceleration and insurance companies are only just catching onto that.
It sounds like a common issue. Just saying, that way back in the 1970's, that's one of the reasons for the death of USA muscle cars. My 66 GTO was considered a very- high performance vehicle,: head on collusions, speed, and it boiled down to unsafe street performer. Cost me $1,250 yr.

In England. Last year's was about £350, this year's over £600. No incident or anything added to the policy since. Used comparethemarket.com etc. and that was the best I found. Anyone else had a similar experience or just me?
EVs are just more expensive to insure now.

After a few years of experience with more and more punters getting onto EVs for the first time, insurance companies are way more clued up as to the true cost of potential claims; cost and availability of parts as well as existential factors including the cost of living / inflation.

Serious claims can be mega £££ if they deem the battery needs replacement too, even if it’s fine, they won’t want to take the risk.

So little wonder that premiums are up across the board.

Renewed mine using an essentials policy to only get 9% uplift at March renewal time:

£427 with Churchill (19 years NCD, 2 claims/incidents in last 5 years, low mileage)

That was a combination of optimal days before start, optimised voluntary excess @ £300 in my case, even optimal time of day!

Last edited:
I am sure you have tried this, but when insuring my recently purchased 20 M3P, the value I set my excess to gave wildly different results on Compare the Market. I actually got the best results at £400 excess.

You may well find it is cheaper to insure as 'parked on drive'.

Interesting! It's in a locked*, alarmed and with CCTV garage (used to keep expensive motorbikes in it) and it's never occurred to me that downgrading, so to speak, might be beneficial to premium. Will do some dummy quotes when I have the time and see if it makes a difference!

* From memory the quotation forms always specify a locked garage.

Interesting! It's in a locked*, alarmed and with CCTV garage (used to keep expensive motorbikes in it) and it's never occurred to me that downgrading, so to speak, might be beneficial to premium. Will do some dummy quotes when I have the time and see if it makes a difference!

* From memory the quotation forms always specify a locked garage.

Well, you know how our EVs spontaneously burst into flames all the time ... so yours will also take out some expensive motorbikes or even your house as well ... so the insurance is more. ;) [Please don't post to tell me this is nonsense ... it's a joke folks!]

Reactions: Masklin
My 2020 M3P with all changes - tinted rear windows and decorative changes to the dash (carbon fibre) divulged was £460 last year and they wanted £780 at renewal. Phoned them up and got it down to £600 which is not too bad based upon it covering 18,000 miles a year with business use. My wife is on the policy too as a named driver and had always made the policy cheaper in the past, however, she now adds £130 to it so I could get it down to £470 if I removed her.