Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is entirely dependent on your distance from the light when the green turns to yellow. I have gone through several yellows with (AP enabled)now that changed on me when I was less then 50’ from the intersection. If you are further away and it detects the yellow it will stop

So if you've already given the ok when the light was green, but the light changes to yellow when you're close (distance TBDefined) to the traffic light line, the car doesn't try to slow down at all?

Last edited:
TACC Lights the actual speed in top center of screen blue when activated
AutoPilot/Autosteer places two blue lines on each side of the car on the screen when you are in autopilot. At least on my 2018 model 3. You can clearly see you are in Autopilot.

Not sure what else you'd want. Also the screen will begin turning blue at the top if you aren't actively managing the autopilot by applying torque to the steering wheel. There's lots of warning messages, chimes, vibrations, colors, its a carnival. Let's not forget every ones favorite, the screen of death with the red steering wheel, hands and alarms. That'll get your attention.
Its simple, I want an entirely different color for TACC and Autosteer. This isn’t complicated , it just makes sense. Again, this isn’t for me... I am an Autopilot whisperer... I dream in neutral nets... this would be to address a tech resistant group that are very comfortable with cruise control in their toyota but won’t go near it in a tesla because they don’t dare wake the robot from its slumber... it’s baffling really.... I’m just saying, there are ways to make it slightly easier to understand for the people slightly confused and it wouldn’t change a whole lot for you and me and other people that grasp the concept of “electronics” and “turning things “on and off”.... it is becoming less relevant as software gets better and with lane departure assist, but I still think it could help make it easier to deploy and conceptualize.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So if you've already given the ok when the light was green, but the light changes to yellow when you're close (distance TBDefined) to the traffic light line, the car doesn't try to slow down at all?

Let’s say you are 500’ away and you give the ok to proceed. Scenario 1: light turns yellow while you are 30’ away. Car will slow down and stop.

Scenario 2: you are 15’ away from the intersection and it turns yellow. Car will continue going rather then slam on the brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Let’s say you are 500’ away and you give the ok to proceed. Scenario 1: light turns yellow while you are 30’ away. Car will slow down and stop.

Scenario 2: you are 15’ away from the intersection and it turns yellow. Car will continue going rather then slam on the brakes.
Also I would think the distance is speed related and not an absolute. So it is probably not a set distance but a combination of speed/distance that determines the action taken.

I
Also I would think the distance is speed related and not an absolute. So it is probably not a set distance but a combination of speed/distance that determines the action taken.
Try going through a blinking yellow. I did. Unless you have your foot on the accelerator, you will have to hit the stalk repetively as it blinks to prevent a slow down. In fact, just before entering the intersection it slows, even though you just canceled it. From this experience, I am surprised you found you could get through an intersection without slowing on yellow regardless of your short distance from the intersection or your speed. .

....I am surprised you found you could get through an intersection without slowing on yellow regardless of your short distance from the intersection or your speed. .
I didn't say that I had gone through a yellow light (nor have I). You quoted me musing about what might be the time and distance to stopping once a light changes.

Last edited:
@GuyDude have you experienced scenario 2 yourself?
I can say that if it DID slam on the brakes going 40MPH and 15' it would only have about 250ms to stop before going through. :eek:So unless you hit a wall it can't happen and the car would slid through the intersection.o_O

EDIT: Just checked and the 30' away must be incorrect also. An average car takes 80' (or 95' with a 250ms think time) to panic stop from 40MPH.

Last edited:
Thanks! I’m curious how Tesla ended up implementing their logic as to when it is safe to brake for a yellow versus continue through the light. I’m sure someone with enough time on their hands will soon do this testing for us :D

I wonder if at some point, Tesla will need to add service history into the firmware so the car can estimate what state the brakes are in, how much tread is left on the tires, etc. All of these things could factor in, unless they just want to make their algorithm very conservative and assume worst case scenarios.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I just took my first drive with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) enabled in our December 2018 Model 3 LR Dual Motor. We had the HW3 retrofit on 4/28, and got 2020.12.11.1 software update 5/1, followed by NA-2020.12 map update later in the day, which allowed me to enable the new feature.

Given the stay-at-home measures in place, I only went around an extended local "block".

In no particular order, my observations:
  • All autostop features appeared to work the same whether in TACC or Autosteer.
  • Speed was constrained to the car's recognized speed limit only in Autosteer. TACC still allowed any speed setting.
  • Only a short/quick pedal tap (or stalk tap) was required to override a pending green light stop, or to start up again after a stop. Did not have to press the pedal (or stalk) very far or hold it for any length of time.
  • Stopped at residential neighborhood stop signs at test speeds from 15 to 35 mph.
  • Stopped at residential neighborhood roundabout (yield sign, crosswalk markings). Nice, since it can't really navigate roundabouts yet. Resumed on pedal/stalk tap and kept the speed manageable while I steered through the roundabout on TACC.
  • Offered to stop at residential mid-block crosswalk (crosswalk markings, crosswalk signs, no lights, no stop/yield signs), accepted my override without stopping.
  • Offered to stop at green lights, started notifying me at 600', accepted my overrides without stopping.
  • If I overrode the stop (or used the stalk/pedal tap to start up again after a stop), and then turned right at that intersection, it kept the speed down while I made the turn and then accelerated to my current speed setting. Sometimes it accelerated a little more than I would have going in to the intersection, but then moderated/slowed while I made the turn.
  • The car dropped to 20mph in school zones, even though the school zone lights were not flashing. Was able to speed back up to 30 by dropping into TACC.
  • It generally starts actual braking later than I normally would. So, I think it is probably using more brake pads (less regen) than I would, and I like to think my stopping practices are a little more comfortable for passengers.
I didn't think to try overriding a stop sign stop before stopping, so can't report on that. I am hoping (and maybe others have already reported) that it will not allow a simple pedal/stalk tap override without stopping, but that it will allow me to hold the pedal on if I feel I need to not stop for some safety reason.

This was a very short drive, and I didn't actually hit any yellow or red lights, so can't report on those. Especially can't report on behaviors when lights change while approaching an intersection (green-yellow, yellow-red, red-green, etc.).

One thing I've been already wishing Autosteer would do is to let me auto-lane-change into a left or right turn lane as I'm approaching an intersection. That would be even more useful now, since the car will now stop.

Anyway, I'm intrigued, and will definitely continue to exercise this feature whenever circumstances seem reasonable and I'm feeling test-y. My attention will be heightened during use, however, not lessened.

I just took my first drive with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) enabled in our December 2018 Model 3 LR Dual Motor. We had the HW3 retrofit on 4/28, and got 2020.12.11.1 software update 5/1, followed by NA-2020.12 map update later in the day, which allowed me to enable the new feature.

Given the stay-at-home measures in place, I only went around an extended local "block".

In no particular order, my observations:
  • All autostop features appeared to work the same whether in TACC or Autosteer.
  • Speed was constrained to the car's recognized speed limit only in Autosteer. TACC still allowed any speed setting.
  • Only a short/quick pedal tap (or stalk tap) was required to override a pending green light stop, or to start up again after a stop. Did not have to press the pedal (or stalk) very far or hold it for any length of time.
  • Stopped at residential neighborhood stop signs at test speeds from 15 to 35 mph.
  • Stopped at residential neighborhood roundabout (yield sign, crosswalk markings). Nice, since it can't really navigate roundabouts yet. Resumed on pedal/stalk tap and kept the speed manageable while I steered through the roundabout on TACC.
  • Offered to stop at residential mid-block crosswalk (crosswalk markings, crosswalk signs, no lights, no stop/yield signs), accepted my override without stopping.
  • Offered to stop at green lights, started notifying me at 600', accepted my overrides without stopping.
  • If I overrode the stop (or used the stalk/pedal tap to start up again after a stop), and then turned right at that intersection, it kept the speed down while I made the turn and then accelerated to my current speed setting. Sometimes it accelerated a little more than I would have going in to the intersection, but then moderated/slowed while I made the turn.
  • The car dropped to 20mph in school zones, even though the school zone lights were not flashing. Was able to speed back up to 30 by dropping into TACC.
  • It generally starts actual braking later than I normally would. So, I think it is probably using more brake pads (less regen) than I would, and I like to think my stopping practices are a little more comfortable for passengers.
I didn't think to try overriding a stop sign stop before stopping, so can't report on that. I am hoping (and maybe others have already reported) that it will not allow a simple pedal/stalk tap override without stopping, but that it will allow me to hold the pedal on if I feel I need to not stop for some safety reason.

This was a very short drive, and I didn't actually hit any yellow or red lights, so can't report on those. Especially can't report on behaviors when lights change while approaching an intersection (green-yellow, yellow-red, red-green, etc.).

One thing I've been already wishing Autosteer would do is to let me auto-lane-change into a left or right turn lane as I'm approaching an intersection. That would be even more useful now, since the car will now stop.

Anyway, I'm intrigued, and will definitely continue to exercise this feature whenever circumstances seem reasonable and I'm feeling test-y. My attention will be heightened during use, however, not lessened.

Thanks for the great feedback! I’m impressed you got all that by just driving around the “block” ;)

80' at 0ms or 86' at 1ms.

And if going 50mph it is 125' at 0ms and 132' at 1ms.

I think you did the math wrong.

There are 1,000 ms in a second = 60,000 ms in a minute = 3,600,000 ms in an hour

40 mph = 211,200 feet/hr

211,200 feet/hr / 3,600,000 ms/hr = .0587 feet (.7 inches)

Doesn't matter the reaction time, you still can't stop inside 30 feet.

I think you did the math wrong.

There are 1,000 ms in a second = 60,000 ms in a minute = 3,600,000 ms in an hour

40 mph = 211,200 feet/hr

211,200 feet/hr / 3,600,000 ms/hr = .0587 feet (.7 inches)

Doesn't matter the reaction time, you still can't stop inside 30 feet.
Yea looks like I did 100ms instead of 1ms.o_O:D But like you say it doesn't matter since the point is still the same

Reactions: TT97