Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated to 2020.12.5 last night and my release notes mentioned updates to driving visualizations; specifically traffic cones being rendered on screen.

I have a 2018 (Dec) Model 3 MR with HW2.5 and I thought rendering of traffic cones wasn't supported on my cars HW? I do have EAP and FSD, but have not yet been upgraded to HW3.
20200407_141107.jpg

You don't need Wi-Fi to connect to the roadie. You can directly connect to its bluetooth connection as long as you're close range of the Roadie.

Also, the developer has made some recent updates to the app where there is minute/no lag or buffering at all when you view videos. I used to hate using the Roadie due to this issue, but it's since been resolved. You just have to make sure to enable the process full video in settings.

Support communication can be iffy though.

I realize this, but connecting via bluetooth or phone hotspot makes the video replay stop way too often to be useful. I do agree the playback is great when connected to home WiFi, as long as the car has a strong WiFi signal.

Roadie's best feature is firmware upgradability. But there's not much they can do about bandwidth, and you need a LOT of bandwidth to stream four videos simultaneously. Of greater concern is the microSD failing too quickly.

Why? I'd think if slowing down the video is critical, it's best done by direct connection to a PC. I'm not debating it would be a nice feature, but I'd rather them work on optimizing playback to it doesn't drop frames.

If you’re trying to show police etc a license plate that’s only visible for a few frames it’s a whole lot easier if it’s in slow-mo.

I realize this, but connecting via bluetooth or phone hotspot makes the video replay stop way too often to be useful. I do agree the playback is great when connected to home WiFi, as long as the car has a strong WiFi signal.

Roadie's best feature is firmware upgradability. But there's not much they can do about bandwidth, and you need a LOT of bandwidth to stream four videos simultaneously. Of greater concern is the microSD failing too quickly.
I think the Roadie (which is a Raspberrypi zero W) is a great accessory for someone who’s not very tech savvy and just wants a working recording solution. I’m surprised though that it doesn’t allow for a direct WiFi connection with their app? I’d think that’d be way quicker than a Bluetooth connection? I have a Raspberrypi zero w that I configured with the marcone teslausb build (many many thanks for doing this) and this build has the option to connect with the Pi directly through WiFi when on the road. Hopefully the new app sentryai will have this option soon so we can connect directly through the app.

I think the killer feature would be to "jump to triggering event" in the sentry video. Or if manually checking on another device, have the seconds value in the filename of the corresponding camera that got triggered. So for example, the filename is the timestamp plus '43s'. Then you open the file and manually go to 0:43 in the video to see the triggering event.

I just updated to 2020.12.5 last night and my release notes mentioned updates to driving visualizations; specifically traffic cones being rendered on screen.

I have a 2018 (Dec) Model 3 MR with HW2.5 and I thought rendering of traffic cones wasn't supported on my cars HW? I do have EAP and FSD, but have not yet been upgraded to HW3.

Interesting. When I still had HW2.5 until about a month ago, I never saw cones rendered. My car also didn't try to avoid them when on AP.

After the upgrade to HW3, I was able to see cones, even though the firmware version remained the same (2020.4.1 at the time). I did buy FSD software before delivery.

Tesla may have found a way to render and act upon cones with HW2.5, which is cool for those who don't have HW3 or FSD.

Thanks for sharing release notes, by the way!

IMG_5025.jpeg
IMG_5025.jpeg
IMG_5028.jpeg
Firmware 2020.12.5 is apparently released (or about to be released), with at least the following two new features:
  • Dashcam Viewer
  • Out of Order Supercharger Stalls
Sources:

Tesla releases Dashcam Viewer software update, allows TeslaCam, Sentry Mode viewing in car - Electrek
Tesla Owners Online on Twitter

No sign of this on TeslaFi yet, so it could be an EAP version only (though I'm not sure those ever show release notes).

If you happen to receive this version, please do post full release notes. TIA!

GOT IT TODAY. NEW ICON FOR SENTRY. FOR THOSE THAT PURCHASED ROADIE: NO LONGER WORKS...

View attachment 530133

Greentheonly mentioned this (cone visualization) was being added for HW2.5 cars a few days ago...

AFAIK it's the only visualization added (no lights to stop signs or other stuff HW3 shows)

Reactions: camthehombre
I think the killer feature would be to "jump to triggering event" in the sentry video. Or if manually checking on another device, have the seconds value in the filename of the corresponding camera that got triggered. So for example, the filename is the timestamp plus '43s'. Then you open the file and manually go to 0:43 in the video to see the triggering event.

Absolutely this! Especially when the incident is recorded on several files.