Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my 2020.12.5 this weekend. Not sure what everyone is talking about with the low-quality dashcam and sentry camera. It looks really good to me. It's not 4k video but it still looks good and serviceable. FTR, I am using a cheap 64GB USB stick from Microcenter.

Getting the navigation update required a couple more checks from the update menu but got that as well.

cones didn’t exist for us with 2.5...I know 2.5 can see stop signs and knows when traffic signals are red, heck it’s even warns you...I’m hopeful we may see the lights and stops signs in software 2030 12.6.

that's not correct... there's pre 12.5 video of 2.5 cars moving out of the way for cones/barrels on the highway- it just didn't show em on the screen.

Just like it still doesn't show stop signs even if it can warn you if you're gonna blow through one.

Driving on AP with HW2.5 through cones

It sounds like I didn’t know how to use sentry mode correctly so thank you all for your assistance. The roadie automatically records recent videos which are accessible via the app on my phone. I didn’t realize that you tap the camera icon in the Tesla screen to save anything In dashcam as I thought they automatically showed up in the recent section anyway and didn’t know that was an option Or something I even needed to or could do. With roadie, to save any videos (which would be stored on my phone) I needed to download them individually from the roadie app to my phone’s library which takes a significant amount of time and done in one minute at a time clips. Also, the buffering and lag (even on WiFi) On roadie makes it very hard to review anything of interest, recent or sentry. Each 60 second clip can take 3-4 minutes to get through and longer if you try and display all four camera angles at once and then there are always 5 or so other one minute separate 4 camera events to swipe through after the initial event so you start this process over several more times.

As an example, i had an alarm go off when parked at the airport a few months ago. I sat in the car in the airport parking lot when I returned for about 25 minutes just to narrow down and see what made the alarm go off and I even knew the time when it happened so it should not have been that hard. The new viewer would have done that in a few minutes tops as it works so much faster.

while I love the concept of the roadie and getting videos on your phone which works well in recording Footage as intended, it’s the delivery which isn’t very convenient and way too time consuming. Also, It’s often troublesome to simply connect to the roadie and frequently I have to attempt to connect to the device 4-5 times before it finally connects. The new Tesla viewer really helps with the lag and buffering. I would just prefer it to display recent videos too I guess.

Roadie works great if your car is parked close to your home WiFi's router or satellite, or if otherwise close to a high bandwidth. Otherwise, you will get a lot of pauses.

I suspect issue is with streaming four synchronized videos simultaneously. That's a lot for the Tesla's WiFi transmitter to upload.

Roadie works great if your car is parked close to your home WiFi's router or satellite, or if otherwise close to a high bandwidth. Otherwise, you will get a lot of pauses.

I suspect issue is with streaming four synchronized videos simultaneously. That's a lot for the Tesla's WiFi transmitter to upload.
If the Roadie works like the similar DIY solutions, it uses the onboard Wifi on the RasPi Zero to create a hotspot that the phone connects to (i.e. the solution does not use the Tesla Wifi). The problem is that this Wifi is single band with a theoretical max performance of about 72Mbps. In practice it's usually under 50Mbps in my experience (based on other projects where I have used RasPis). This means it takes several seconds to transfer just one of the 1-minute files from a single camera ...

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
that's not correct... there's pre 12.5 video of 2.5 cars moving out of the way for cones/barrels on the highway- it just didn't show em on the screen.

Just like it still doesn't show stop signs even if it can warn you if you're gonna blow through one.

Driving on AP with HW2.5 through cones

sorry I’ll clarify, I meant show them on the screen. Yes auto pilot recognized the cones prior to 12.5 it followed the lane as it was reduced it just didn’t visualize the cones

I'm not sure it was an original feature, but from early versions of the firmware you could plug in a USB device with music on it and play it through the infotainment system. It's always been buggy (there is a long thread about it here on the forum).

Starting with 12.1 people have been complaining it's ability to recognize a USB stick with music on it has mostly gone away.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm not sure it was an original feature, but from early versions of the firmware you could plug in a USB device with music on it and play it through the infotainment system. It's always been buggy (there is a long thread about it here on the forum).

Starting with 12.1 people have been complaining it's ability to recognize a USB stick with music on it has mostly gone away.

I thought it was only a problem with MCU1 vehicles. So it shouldn't impact Model 3s.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
assuming this won’t be the update with stopping at lights and stop signs with that small of an update

I got the freak out warning today when going through a yellow light. I had the cruise set driving through town and the light turned yellow and I pressed the accelerator to get through it and got the red steering wheel and brake pedal. After I was through it there was a red dot near the speed limit badge that looked like a red light that wouldn’t go away until I did a scroll wheel reboot.

2018 EAP HW 2.5

• Informative
Reactions: Solidred
I noticed that after using Netflix or YouTube in the Tesla Theater in my Model 3 with 2020.12.5 and exiting either app the Dome Lights remain “off” and the ambient light option is also turned “off” (not highlighted in blue) in the lights section of the car controls. I believe in the past these would switch back as I recall the dome lights turning back on in the car when exiting the apps. Can anyone help law confirm this issue? Anyone have any fixes? Downloading Navigation update now so I haven’t tried a steering wheel reset yet.

Some people were complaining that support for USB sticks with music were disabled in 12.1. Was this fixed in 12.5? I just got a notice from Tesla that an update is available and I assume it's 12.5.
I think the issue you heard about is music from USB being broken with 2020.12.5, but only in old MCU1 model S cars. There have been no issues with usb audio in the model 3. Yet.