Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will probably coincide with a map update too.

Potentially the last version before FSD (needed for traffic light stopping) price increase on 1 July. However we had meant to have one late last year but it never happened and only the US got it - will we get it? will we get a double catch-up whammy? If anyone on select (Model S and X) cars do not currently have autopilot in any shape or form (but I assume have the hardware), looks like some short term deals on autopilot and FSD.

Reactions: drewpost
Am I the only one who doesn't like stop lights?
Nope. There’s a set of lights near me where if your first in the queue, the lights appear on screen with the appropriate colour as you draw near. But at the line, they’re too high for the camera to see them so all colours are grey and changes aren’t seen.
Had a similar thing yesterday. Big junction, loads of lights, all seen but nearest set went grey when I got to the line.

Nope. There’s a set of lights near me where if your first in the queue, the lights appear on screen with the appropriate colour as you draw near. But at the line, they’re too high for the camera to see them so all colours are grey and changes aren’t seen.
Had a similar thing yesterday. Big junction, loads of lights, all seen but nearest set went grey when I got to the line.

Same with me. In the US the lights are always over the junction hanging on wires, I don't remember seeing any on poles alongside the stop line.
The design of the cameras is a real problem for the way traffic lights are positioned in virtually every country apart from the US and its clones.

So it picks up and triggers off one set of lights, but can't switch to the set of lights you switch to when you're at the line?

Was hoping it was for eye / face tracking (ala SuperCruise) to reduce or eliminate the amount of contact required mags with the steering wheel. Boo. Darn.
I may be cynical but it appears that the camera activation in the event of an accident is only to cover Tesla's back if someone crashes on autopilot/FSD. So they can prove that you were busy watching youtube on your phone while putting makeup on and trying to retrieve the bacon sandwich you just dropped down the side of the seat, rather than paying attention.
If they said they were capturing data to enable a hands-off-wheel awareness system, I'd be turning it on as quick as I could.

Reactions: OPRCE
I may be cynical but it appears that the camera activation in the event of an accident is only to cover Tesla's back if someone crashes on autopilot/FSD. So they can prove that you were busy watching youtube on your phone while putting makeup on and trying to retrieve the bacon sandwich you just dropped down the side of the seat, rather than paying attention.
If they said they were capturing data to enable a hands-off-wheel awareness system, I'd be turning it on as quick as I could.
I’ll have you know that I apply my makeup before getting in the car.....

So it picks up and triggers off one set of lights, but can't switch to the set of lights you switch to when you're at the line?
In my local setting, it’s just a two way street with the normal set of lights on either side of the road. A car length from the line it sees both sets properly. At the line it knows that they are there, but (I presume) can’t see the actual lights.

Traffic light positions potentially fixed in two ways.

1: Tesla start to use the fisheye camera
2: the car stops a little way before the stop line, if it’s at the front.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1271335851511951365?s=21

Yep

All too easy to be fooled into thinking what you see on dashcam is it.

Thanks to @verygreen, we know Its not.

Currently, we only see the bottom 3 views plus rear. The top 3 add lots of extra field of view. I believe that most of the time, AP is only using main (bottom middle). As pillar cameras are behind the driver, theoretically if a driver can see something, position wise, pillar camera will have a chance of seeing it too. I don't know what their field of view are, but probably better than a human eye. They just cant swivel their head.

Screenshot (488).png

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterMan