Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.32.3: Way too fast through curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone else confirm that their car now sucks at slowing down for sharp curves while on TACC or AutoSteer? Model Y here on 2020.32.3.

NoA also disengaged while making a lane change onto an on ramp that normally it does perfectly. Red steering wheel “take over immediately” flashing.

I’ve read of the regressions in updates, sucks, but looks like this is what’s going on here.

I posted this in the 2020.32 thread under the software/updates section, figure it’s more relevant to make a thread here about it. Thanks!

I guess it might be a matter of taste / driving style. I vastly prefer a cruise control that keeps its speed. Autopilot should indeed adjust its speed, and most certainly NoA. To what speed does it adjust depends on the driver. I would love an "agressivity" setting like there is for the NoA lane change. I would have it to madmax :) I've been finding recent updates more cautious in general. For example, the forward crash alerting, even on the late setting, has been screaming at me more recently, to the point I've had to turn it off.

Reactions: jmaddr
I've also noticed that the car starts to slow down for curves a lot later than before (at the last minute) and also goes through the curves faster, if for some reason it does not slow down it leaves little time to react.
This makes me less confident because, at least here in Europe, now it triggers the warning about lateral acceleration in curves that previously was doing without problems, that is particularly bad specially if the roads markings are missing or washed out since it tends to drift to the middle of the road instead of keeping in lane.
Model S updated from 2020.28.6.

I love that TACC (not just Autopilot/NoA) slow down for sharp curves.
TACC == Traffic Aware Cruise Control, to me "traffic aware" means more than just aware of other cars.

You're abusing the definition of traffic :) If you lookup the definition you'll see that traffic is about cars, pedestrians etc following a route. Traffic aware cruise control should be aware of that, and that's about it. If you want a system that drives for you, taking into account the road markings and speed signs, that would be autopilot (the name is actually not correct as it's just an assist) or NoA.

Yes, this Curve Aware Cruise Control feature is either gone or way, way too aggressive. I think it is gone.

I live in the hill country with lots of curvy roads. It used to work very well if slightly timid.

We need this feature back with a control so users can adjust the aggressiveness to their liking. I would actually prefer that control replace the car lengths knob which I rarely use.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
It seems AP has been alternating between two variations of curve behavior for the past year or so, one that brakes and one that mostly doesn’t (current one). It doesn’t feel like either version has changed much, but they just almost go back and forth every couple large firmware versions. Anyone have an idea why?

It seems AP has been alternating between two variations of curve behavior for the past year or so, one that brakes and one that mostly doesn’t (current one). It doesn’t feel like either version has changed much, but they just almost go back and forth every couple large firmware versions. Anyone have an idea why?
They probably want to see how often drivers override the behavior to test the threshold that has the fewest / satisfies the most drivers.