Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.32.3: Way too fast through curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.36 is no better. Some curves are way too fast, others, it handles fine.

It's the 'reactive' vs 'pro-active' that makes all TACC / AP features somewhat less than ideal. When the car starts to slow ahead of bends (in much the same way as UK cars currently do ahead of traffic lights) then it might be ready for taking curves. Also it needs to decide what speed is safe. It could work from signs, map data or both, but it's hard to adjust to a poorly defined speed.

Bump. Still broken, almost a year later. If you’re going to have a “self driving car”, doesn’t that mean it should stay in its lane and not plow through turns waaaay too fast where the driver has to yank the car back in its lane??? Correct me if I’m wrong? The disappointing thing is, they had this figured out, and it worked awesome. Why $hit can it? I’m sure it works on the super elite beta FSD that only 15 people on social media are allowed to have.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
Post a video. I use AP through S's regularly at 60 mph and it stays smack in the middle of the lane.

People have been using AP on Hwy 17 between Santa Clara and Santa Cruz regularly for years. It's a non-issue.

Bump. Still broken, almost a year later. If you’re going to have a “self driving car”, doesn’t that mean it should stay in its lane and not plow through turns waaaay too fast where the driver has to yank the car back in its lane??? Correct me if I’m wrong? The disappointing thing is, they had this figured out, and it worked awesome. Why $hit can it? I’m sure it works on the super elite beta FSD that only 15 people on social media are allowed to have.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I checked out RT17 on google maps. Yes, I don’t think my car would have an issue with that stretch of road either.

I should have been more clear. The roads I’m having issues with are rural backroads, of which I travel on a lot. My point is, these rural roads were handled just fine, with confidence back on 2020.28.5 (yes, maybe even too slow on certain curves). I attached a screenshot of one road I travel all the time. AP used to slow perfectly for the curves in this screenshot, now I have to disengage, or slow the car down to 30mph for it to stay centered in the lane. This is one example, but you get the idea. And yes, I know your not supposed to use AP on roads like this, but when it worked confidently and safely at one point, and not anymore, that’s my problem.

Attachments

• CA962D4C-060E-4584-9E60-D4BF61D2BA68.png
    CA962D4C-060E-4584-9E60-D4BF61D2BA68.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 145
Once again: Post a video and show the problem.

Also, try using your right thumb to adjust the speed to 30mph or whatever before you hit that curve and then speed-up afterwards.

I checked out RT17 on google maps. Yes, I don’t think my car would have an issue with that stretch of road either.

I should have been more clear. The roads I’m having issues with are rural backroads, of which I travel on a lot. My point is, these rural roads were handled just fine, with confidence back on 2020.28.5 (yes, maybe even too slow on certain curves). I attached a screenshot of one road I travel all the time. AP used to slow perfectly for the curves in this screenshot, now I have to disengage, or slow the car down to 30mph for it to stay centered in the lane. This is one example, but you get the idea. And yes, I know your not supposed to use AP on roads like this, but when it worked confidently and safely at one point, and not anymore, that’s my problem.