Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my findings with 40.2.1 since I updated a week ago.

I have both a model S P85D (2015 with MCU1 and AP) as well as an X 75D (2016 MCU1 and AP2.0) so I will separate my findings with this update.

This is what I experienced. Your vehicles might be different.

Model S

1. Reduced charging- immediately after this update 90% and 100% charge rate is 2 kms less than previous version.
  2. Backgammon? Really? Tesla needs to stop wasting time adding games to cars. Just my opinion. Focus on something important.
  3. I use location based charging. With this update I have noticed that the displayed amp at locations (bottom left corner of charge screen where you can set the charge rate) is not what it was previously set to however it does charge to what it was previously set to. It changes every trip. Example, I have always had my car set to charge at 56 amps at home and 80 amps at the office. Now when I get to either location they show random amperages. 2 days ago at my house it displayed 24 amps however when I plugged it in and the car started charging it charged at 56 amps like it is supposed to do. Yesterday it displayed 48 amps yet again it charges properly at 56 amps. On Friday at the office it displayed 30 amps yet charged at 80 amps. (Actual charge rates were verified through the app.)
  4. This update automatically turned off scheduled charging once the update was complete. I had to turn it back on.
  5. Release notes actually work in this version. That’s a plus.
  6. Having text messages display on the dash works ok but the reply via voice is a joke. More than half the time it doesn’t know what I’m saying or cuts off. And I speak crystal clear English with no accent.
  7. Voice commands, not great. Hit or miss.

Model X

1. Reduced charging- immediately after this update 90% and 100% charge rate is 2 kms less than previous version.
  2. Backgammon? Really? Tesla needs to stop wasting time adding games to cars. Just my opinion. Focus on something important.
  3. Reduced circulation in the cabin. Windows fog up more on cold snowy days since this update.
  4. Autopilot front camera defrost was supposed to be fixed in this update however still doesn’t work properly. Ice buildup and digging over the camera area.
  5. Release notes actually work in this version. That’s a plus.
  6. Test message display works the same on my X as the S.
  7. Voice commands, not great. Hit or miss.

I wonder if this is a MCU1 vs MCU2 issue.

I have issues and more specifically for navigation. In French, it is just useless: no commands are recognised (while it worked just fine in 2019.40.2.3, with the "old" voice feature). Impossible to start routing/navigation from the voice anymore.
The issue does not seem to be the voice recognition: that is working quite well, as the IC shows correctly what I asked. But then linking the sentence recorded to an action seems flawed.

Are there MCU2 owners who have 2020.4.1 and can report on the voice experience?

(Note: did a recording and already sent to [email protected])

I have had great luck with text message read out, and voice to text reply. I love it, and I'm surprised how well it works - the voice readout is spot-on, and the voice reply is good so far, too. Voice commands seemed to be useless, until I read a hint in another thread to just push and release the mic button to initiate it, instead of holding the mic button down while you complete the command. Voila !!! It works 95% of the time now, and I'm sure some of the errors are my enunciation while trying to come up with the command to test. Seat heaters, camera, mirror folding, AP commands, temperature settings, etc., are working fine for me....Early 2017 S90D MCU1, AP2.

I have had great luck with text message read out, and voice to text reply. I love it, and I'm surprised how well it works - the voice readout is spot-on, and the voice reply is good so far, too. Voice commands seemed to be useless, until I read a hint in another thread to just push and release the mic button to initiate it, instead of holding the mic button down while you complete the command. Voila !!! It works 95% of the time now, and I'm sure some of the errors are my enunciation while trying to come up with the command to test. Seat heaters, camera, mirror folding, AP commands, temperature settings, etc., are working fine for me....Early 2017 S90D MCU1, AP2.
Hope it works this well when I finally get the 4.1 update......my new “S” came with 2019.35.105.....have mobile service on Thursday for Homelink issue and I going to ask if they can push to me

My Blackvue dashcam died right after I upgraded to 2020.4.1 on my classic Model S85. Just a coincidence right? No others see this? I can't imagine Tesla was able to disable the 12V port it's fed off of with this new 2020 release... but I've yet had a chance to measure the 12V line with a DMM.
I upgraded to 2020.4.1 several days ago and my Blackvue is working fine, also connected to 12V line behind the microphone.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Two negative things I’m experiencing with this update:
1) autopilot is struggling around turns on the highway - often goes very wide in a turn and drifts over the lane, then over corrects too far the other way, and kind of ping pongs trying to find center. I can’t use it anymore.

2) the voice reading the texts is SUPER LOUD and does not respond to me lowering the volume. Cannot use. Is it possible to read the texts on the IC without it reading them?

I have 20.4.1 on an s85d 2015 ap1. I can't get texting to work. What do you have to go do enable it? I only see texting in the release notes on the car. I do see camp mode and other things.
First delete your phone on the car + on your phone
Second register again your phone check box message of grey and you can't change it go out of the phone menu and open again.
Test your car send a message with your phone to the Numbers of your phone normwlly you receive a notification for a new message. After read you can reply And it's work.