Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.26 Did you get Boombox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That clearly is not correct. We have seen it retrofitted unless that video was faked! Sounds like the answer is it is not available for free.

It’s not available for service from the service center. You can order it from them, go pick it up, and install it yourself. That’s what they did in the video. Service right now doesn’t have the time (or the directive from Musk) to do these retrofits.

However, I will note that Musk tweeted a reply to someone asking if the retrofit could be done at service centers and basically said he would check with service to see if that’s feasible. I suspect it will initially be rolled out like FSD upgrades; if you have an existing issue and go in for service the service center will ask you if you want the PWS installed. [Assuming Musk gives the go ahead for retrofits]

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My Tesla Y is a very early VIN one of the first on east coast. It has the pedestrian speaker from factory. Received update last night and did not get boom box. Kinda surprised because you would think having it from factory it would get update. This leads me to agree that they based it on build date not equipment.

I scheduled a Tesla appointment this week because I am having battery issues (max charge only shows 225 mile range) I will ask about boombox.

I have vin 1xxx how do I check for the speaker? Also did not get Boombox.

I think it is supposedly in the same location as the 3. In front of the front right wheel. I think you are supposed to be able to see from underneath. Check out this video on the AO 'defeat' plug installation for where that is.

Unless someone here has actually found it in a different place in the MY.

I think it is supposedly in the same location as the 3. In front of the front right wheel. I think you are supposed to be able to see from underneath. Check out this video on the AO 'defeat' plug installation for where that is.

Unless someone here has actually found it in a different place in the MY.

I poked around my car, removing the frunk tub is actually easier than dealing with the wheel well trims. Then just shed light into the passenger side area in front of the wheel and you'll see the drilled holes for the sound. And a zip tied wire harness over the holes.

TL;DR: It's in the same spot as the M3.

Got a reply:

Hello from Tesla Mobile Team! Unfortunately at this time Tesla is not supporting retrofit to add PWS to a vehicle that did not come with it installed. Installing the speaker currently will not make it work. PWS is not required in vehicle produced before 9/2020.

And my following reply:

I know the PWS will work, although the Boombox wouldn’t. Is it still something you can do? I’m fairly confident it’s a feature that can be enabled in the future so I’d like to have the hardware for it ready.

Let’s see what they say!

I have vin 1xxx how do I check for the speaker? Also did not get Boombox.
If you haven't had any PWS warning sounds since delivery, then you don't have the speaker. The vast majority of Model Y manufactured between March 2020 and August 2020 only had the wiring and no speaker. Only a few of the very low VIN cars had the speaker and the ones I've seen were manufactured in February 2020. Boombox doesn't currently show up on these early VIN cars. Our first Model Y was VIN 138x and it only had the wiring. Our second Model Y, VIN 181xx, also only had the wiring. Even when a speaker was added, Boombox didn't show up.

Reactions: RNHurt
Ugh, got a message from the service center, attached photo here

Attachments

• E436FFF8-95D9-402E-A51D-BB069DDA4693.jpeg
    E436FFF8-95D9-402E-A51D-BB069DDA4693.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 172
Getting a little frustrated about this. Our car has had the pedestrian system since new. It worked since day 1. With the update it stopped working. I messaged Tesla and they advised the configuration had been switched off for it. They initially said they would work with the software team to get the update sent to the vehicle. This morning they advised vehicles after September 2020 would be the only ones allowed to have this feature configured. They advised they are not authorized to turn the configuration back on.

Guess I’m confused. Why would anyone Want to add a noise maker to a beautifully quiet car? For how long have people been hacking or paying to get this annoyance removed now because your wheel well can fart people are in arms that they are frustrated and cheated somehow? Lol. I personally Love the fact that by law my car was exempt from this nuisance noise maker.

July build. Don’t have it, don’t really care too much. My pedestrian warning system consists of cranking my volume. The stereo system in the Y is bar none hands down the BEST I’ve ever had in a car. Ever.

I am slightly jealous, as I would have made Ludacris, move bitch get out the way my default pedestrian warning, but it’s not worth my time to book a service appointment.

I prefer silence. I can’t tell you how many times silence has saved my ass because I’ve heard cyclist and pedestrians (I don’t always blast my music), and stopped to avoid hitting someone. Silence works both ways. Too bad the government is too stupid to realize it. But that’s government for

I’ll keep my non-boom box, US only taillight, non-USB port in the glovebox spec build and be sufficiently happy.

This car is like an iPhone. If you wait for better features, you’ll be forever waiting.

So, just so I'm clear, in order to have the Boombox (or External Emissions) functionality you have to have the PWS as well. Is that correct? I love that my MY does not have PWS so it is silent backing out of the driveway at 6AM. However, I would also love to be able to play music from my car.

Is it possible to have Boombox without having the PWS? I'm assuming that my MY doesn't have the speaker but what would happen if I installed it? Would PWS be enabled?

Guess I’m confused. Why would anyone Want to add a noise maker to a beautifully quiet car? For how long have people been hacking or paying to get this annoyance removed now because your wheel well can fart people are in arms that they are frustrated and cheated somehow? Lol. I personally Love the fact that by law my car was exempt from this nuisance noise maker.

I hope those that do not have the speaker and want to remain silent can then again unplugging the speaker is a simple solution. Personally I much prefer no noise. I wonder how well the speaker and holes in a wheel well will hold up in winter weather crap? Really a dumb place to put this IMHO.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I hope those that do not have the speaker and want to remain silent can then again unplugging the speaker is a simple solution. Personally I much prefer no noise. I wonder how well the speaker and holes in a wheel well will hold up in winter weather crap? Really a dumb place to put this IMHO.

If so inclined, there are remote controlled latching relays you could buy and install in there to make/break the speaker connection. Just need a ground and power source, along with connectors and some custom wiring. Then use the remote control to open/close that relay when you want that speaker active or not. Only thing I am not sure about is power, depending on the relay bought and if it is truly latching or a momentary close that appears latching when power is maintained. Ideally it should have constant and not switched power so the speaker can be seen after a reboot, for instances like Daerik's video where it took a reboot for the speaker to be seen/become operational.

Personally my car does not have it and I do not want it. The novelty would wear off quickly and all this fuss to create sound out of a small full range speaker hardly seems worth it to me, so I will remain silent running.

Reactions: RNHurt
Sept model Y and have the speaker. Played around with boombox. I don't find it that useful to change summon or pedestrian sounds. But changing the horn sound is great. I still want it to sound like someone would recognize as a horn for safety. So the 'old car horn' or 'la cucaracha' food truck horn would work great. For a custom mp3, maybe a large truck horn or train horn.