Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not normal and the insurance cannot be registered to the database on a VIN. So the risk is your car will show on ANPR as uninsured.
It is a (temporary) available service that you use can get your car insured prior to pick up if you don’t yet know the reg number, once you do it’s then just a quick telephone call to your insurance company. Its also quite normal for imported cars that are not yet registered (have a foreign number plate) in the uk yet.

It is a (temporary) available service that you use can get your car insured prior to pick up if you don’t yet know the reg number, once you do it’s then just a quick telephone call to your insurance company. Its also quite normal for imported cars that are not yet registered (have a foreign number plate) in the uk yet.

So which insurance co?

Seeing all those on Glovis Captain getting their texts I called Tesla Maidenhead to get a better understanding of the process and to try to get a date, it’s hard keeping a whole week free until the last minute. They told me it’s unusual to get texts with the ship this far out, so they think they have increased the admin on the ship to buy extra time. In case of delays it ensures they can still deliver all the cars in March. They told me everyone will likely get their text and reg next week. If the ship is on-time deliveries may commence more rapidly than normal.

It's not normal and the insurance cannot be registered to the database on a VIN. So the risk is your car will show on ANPR as uninsured.
I have insurance with DL already and spoke to them today to extend the quote for the M3 and they confirmed they can’t insure with the VIN and need the reg.
But you can still get the quote by calling up and once you have it, just call up and give the reg.

I have insurance with DL already and spoke to them today to extend the quote for the M3 and they confirmed they can’t insure with the VIN and need the reg.
But you can still get the quote by calling up and once you have it, just call up and give the reg.
I've just spent 45 minutes on the phone to DL. They currently insure my Sharan which renews 2 weeks before the M3 arrives so they input ABC123 as the reg of the Tesla to generate a quote without knowing the actual reg

Got my Registration text a few minutes ago from Tesla. Collection Monday the 16th at Edinburgh, and on the Morning Cara.
Like wise. 1400 at Edinburgh.. Can't wait. DL insured me on my hidden VIN. I've just phoned them to update. Cheapest insurance was by using the Tesla link to DLine.. £414.
Perhaps we'll meet up with Ythanbank on the 16th.

Reactions: ythanbank
Hardly worth the evening update... But for what it is...
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.01.54.png

Hi, you can usually get insurance from the VIN number, I did this a few years ago with Directline when importing a car
They did this for me a couple of days ago I used the hidden vin . I was pre empting arriving at the SC not knowing the reg. but I got a txt this evening 9 days before the pickup.
Thaks Mr Miserable for keeping us all up to date wth the movements.

Reactions: Blueskye
Possibly as they are their customer not you... but it depends as we’ve seen in the orders and delivery thread...
But you may also receive one later on today or Monday.. don’t despair!
Check your account to see if you have a booked appointment. Or try the link in post #2422
You may also call Tesla if the above fails.

"I GOT A TEXT!!!"

Just in...delivery to my home on Mon 16th...YAY!

Downside is the reg - bloody BJ20 - doh! Have a spare private plate that can correct that however!

• Love
Reactions: Blueskye