Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ASIAN KING is underway, VesselFinder suggests an ETA in Southampton of 0200 tomorrow morning, we’ll see about that!
1EAC0869-048C-4336-8D6D-57627308410F.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: HIWEX
Guys/Girls

I ordered a Model X LR back in October, initial delivery date early January.
It is still not here. I keep having to chase Tesla myself and getting nowhere (different responses, noone knows whats going on).
Then it was firmed up for 20th March. However I've just spoken to Tesla and now its looking like 1st April delivery as its held up in Zeebrugge for ''possible a battery upgrade''. I don't believe that is the case this side of battery investor day.

Does anyone know why it would be delayed for SUCH a long time.
If it doesn't arrive by the end of March I will be forced to cancel and I really don't want to do that.
Any information would be great.

Thank you

I feel your pain. Quite frankly, the sooner Tesla realise that buyers will cancel if they are not kept in the loop, the better.
And as a TSLA shareholder, that is a sad state of afffairs because it is such a simple thing to remedy.

I'm having mine delivered on Thursday, I'm interested to know when the Tesla app begins to work - I asked the question on the phone and the guy said when the papers are signed but I don't think it's that clever! I'm anticipating being left without the app for days on end while I chase numerous Tesla departments, hopefully not!

When the car is handed over, they transfer the VIN to your Tesla account so you can see it on your phone.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN has altered her track (hooray!) - she will pass through the Azores rather than passing to the north of them.
She still has 1703nm to run. At 14 kts that will be 16 Mar.
However as I have already pointed out, the Zeebrugge schedule still has her arriving on 17 Mar.

BTW There is no weather related reason for her slow speed in her present position. Weather will be dull and overcast, possibly a bit of drizzle, and there should be nothing abnormal about the sea state.

I feel your pain. Quite frankly, the sooner Tesla realise that buyers will cancel if they are not kept in the loop, the better.
And as a TSLA shareholder, that is a sad state of afffairs because it is such a simple thing to remedy.

Agreed.
Tesla member said 'it can take between 8-12 weeks', it has been 6 months. Not once have they called me to update.
Can't help but think If you spend £100k elsewhere you would get treated with some respect.
Alas, let's hope their April estimate follows the trend and is completely nonsense.

Agreed.
Tesla member said 'it can take between 8-12 weeks', it has been 6 months. Not once have they called me to update.
Can't help but think If you spend £100k elsewhere you would get treated with some respect.
Alas, let's hope their April estimate follows the trend and is completely nonsense.

If Tesla communicated properly, this and most of the other threads on this forum wouldn't exist.

Reactions: Shaney and The5tig

Normal for Tesla. Their Backoffice Systems are atrocious ... sorry, no comfort I know. Beggars belief that "Phone call centre for a shipping update" is preferable to" CLICK HERE" on the website ...

However I've just spoken to Tesla and now its looking like 1st April delivery as its held up in Zeebrugge for ''possible a battery upgrade''. I don't believe that is the case this side of battery investor day.

Does anyone know why it would be delayed for SUCH a long time.
If it doesn't arrive by the end of March I will be forced to cancel and I really don't want to do that.

I think it highly unlikely that Tesla will give you 01-Apr handover, rather than 30-Mar. End of quarter is critical to their published accounts ... but there must be some that slip over the deadline

If your car is actually being assembled in EU and held up then I reckon something has gone wrong ... it got bent in travel, or has failed some PDI / etc.

I suppose a battery upgrade is possible (there has been some mention of a tweak that increases range, but I'm not sure that is physically a different battery, rather than just a clever software tweak). More likely, if Battery is the issue, that it has failed and a new one is being installed ... if so it wouldn't surprise me if there are none in stock in EU so it is coming from USA. Tesla also renown for Parts taking "weeks"

Tesla support staff also renowned for making stuff up instead of "I don't know" or "I will find out". I have no idea why ... but it might be that the reason you were given has nothing to do with the actual cause.

For pretty much everyone the driving experience is such a joy that the buying-hassle is soon forgotten. No comfort there there either, i know ...

Keep an eye on inventory ... if you see anything that you'd be happy with you'd probably be better off to transfer (or re-order / cancel)

Pick-up location may influence handover somewhat (MX is low volume, so maybe not [compared to M3]). Heathrow hand over the most - but for an MX you are likely to just get the M3 PowerPoint presentation (not much cop for MS / MX buyers ...) whereas elsewhere you are likely to get 1-on-1 handover. Personally I've used Heathrow every time, to try to get shortest purchase interval, and put up with "warehouse handover".

It does make you wonder about the quality of the pre-delivery inspections given the volume of cars currently coming in and the speed that they are turning them around ready for collection/delivery???

Tesla are relying on them arriving fault-free (which makes sense to me ... no point them leaving the factory with PDI failures, so that only leaves bent-in-transit). The one I picked up in June still had wet windows - it had come of transporter 20 minutes earlier and driven into the warehouse for handover. I've had one minor panel gap fixed out of 4 cars over the last 8 months. I think many/most? are fine, its the ones that aren't that make the headlines of course ... at peak Heathrow hand over 100-200 cars a day ... I would expect to have heard more gripes if a significant proportion of them were needed significant fettling. No comfort for anyone that happens to get one of the few that are duff though ...

Last edited:
Reactions: The5tig