Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for that, much appreciated. It’s quite handy to know as I have now put a spanner in the works as I’ve changed my mind on the colour!
Been on the phone with Tesla this afternoon and changed it from Black to Red.

Wow, did they confirm there was defo a red one on the way? I did see there was one in the inventory that has gone - there's no way a new custom build would be here by end of Q3 if ordered now.

Just wanted to give Mr Miserable a BIG thankyou for all your shipping updates for the Glovis Sun, you have made the wait bearable. Nice to know my M3 is finally here!

Thanks for the info, really appreciate all your efforts on here, keeping us relatively sane with your amazing knowledge

Not a problem - I'm glad to have helped.
All I ask is that should anybody be considering switching to Octopus, please DM me for a referral.
Satellite ship tracking does not come cheap!

Not a problem - I'm glad to have helped.
All I ask is that should anybody be considering switching to Octopus, please DM me for a referral.
Satellite ship tracking does not come cheap!
Nightmare, I moved over to Octopus after I ordered my car but before I started following this thread. If I hear of anyone else though I shall send them your way.

Just an update on S/X

Maersk Montana Aug 3 did not have any Model S/X onboard - only parts - Some of those parts were going to Tilburg. Other parts were general in nature like bumpers, tail lights, rivets, and electric motors.

Maersk Iowa is within AIS range now and trackable arriving Rotterdam Aug 10. I should have a breakdown midweek.

Maersk Idaho does not have any Teslas onboard. Much of the crew had Corona and gave been in quarantine in June/July. It is resuming Its transport schedule from Europe.

Maersk Nijmegen has departed Houston
Maersk Ohio has arrived in Houston

Last edited:
My car is almost certainly on the Glovis Captain. I never received a match when all the Grand Dahlia matches were going out and received a match just as Glovis Captain was leaving Pier 80 and cars came on inventory location marked to San Fransisco port. I'm collecting (fingers crossed) 3rd September.

Very similar for me. delivery scheduled for 4th. I’m inclined to think Captain. Although some Dahlia collections seem to be in the first week of sept as well.

when did the those cars hit inventory - was it Friday 31?

It would appear that Pier 80 is going to have a very busy August with ships loading almost continually.
Once the RCC ASIA has departed the GLOVIS STELLA which is waiting anchored in the Bay will move alongside.
Then we can expect the GLOVIS SIGMA.
It is confirmed that GLOVIS CLIPPER will make an appearance, and it would fit in after the GLOVIS SIGMA
The big news is that apparently the DONINGTON is going to be the final ship of Q3 - a big one!
I can only assume the DONINGTON is coming to Europe and by my fag packet calculations she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 21 Sep.
So it's a return to the crazy Tesla quarter end delivery frenzy!

GLOVIS SUN Presently unloading in Southampton.

GRAND DAHLIA. Her position is shown on the chart below. She is bang on time and on track to arrive at Zeebrugge on Thursday. She has about 2100nm left to go and is averaging 18.4kts. At the moment I still expect her to unload at Southampton next Saturday.

GRAND DAHLIA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN She will arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal later today. I expect her to transit the canal tomorrow although the canal does appear rather busy at the moment. I will post some details about the canal transit later today (after F1 Qualy!) ETA Zeebrugge 21 Aug. Indications are that she will not be calling at Southampton.

If you haven’t entered the competition, I suggest you do so now - it will close as soon as she enters the locks early tomorrow morning.

RCC ASIA She is presently loading at Pier 80. There is still no information on when we can expect her to leave but I expect her to be coming to Europe. ETA Zeebrugge at the moment is 31 Aug but obviously the longer she stays at Pier 80 .....

GLOVIS STELLA She is anchored in the Bay off Pier 80 at the moment. She will at some point be joined by a refuelling barge. I am told that she will move alongside Pier 80 to load on Wednesday although her AIS gives the impression that she may move earlier on Tuesday night. I'm not sure where she is going to, I suspect the Far East.

GLOVIS SIGMA Due alongside a week on Monday (17) I believe she is destined to Europe. ETA Zeebrugge around 11 Sep

GLOVIS CLIPPER She has been looking likely to load at Pier 80 for some time however I’m not entirely sure she is coming to Europe.

DONINGTON Saving the best for last, probably the last ship of Q3 and probably coming to Europe, the largest ship of the quarter. Don’t know the timings but unlikely to arrive at Zeebrugge any later than 21 Sep.

Hey. I am waiting for my Model 3 LR. Anyone that knows wich ship my M3LR is sailing with? I live in Norway and was told my delivery date would be around 08/25
Your car could have arrived at Zeebrugge last Wednesday on the GLOVIS SUN or could arrive at Zeebrugge this Thursday on GRAND DAHLIA. Last quarter cars went by road transporter from Zeebrugge to Drammen.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up a distance of about 5000 nm the canal offers a mere 50 mile transit. This comes at a price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks were of modern design which used less water and are regarded as a safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GLOVIS CAPTAIN can use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like DONINGTON and GLOVIS SIGMA will use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can see a ship going through. The links to the webcams are here.

For GLOVIS CAPTAIN, I expect her to be at Miraflores around 7am UK time tomorrow, Pedro Miguel around 9am UK time and Gatun locks around 14:00 UK time. By the time she reaches Gatun it will be daylight.

cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.571359

Thanks to @Mister J for posting this graphic