Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be chartering this vessel soon :)
I'm not sure about the height - I can see that the sailwings retract but they can't retract far without affecting the loading bays.
With the new locks the limit to the the size of ships that can navigate the Panama Canal is now more of a height limit. I think that will be about 60m or so because of the Centennial Bridge.

I'm not sure about the height - I can see that the sailwings retract but they can't retract far without affecting the loading bays.
With the new locks the limit to the the size of ships that can navigate the Panama Canal is now more of a height limit. I think that will be about 60m or so because of the Centennial Bridge.

The sails can retract to 45 mtrs above the waterline.

Oceanbird - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: StevehConwy

Ah yes ... I didn't take that into account of course, just got excited by this cool ship :) But then reality is always more complex... thanks :)

Tesla cars confirmed to have been on Aquarius Ace, as can been seen on one of the webcams in Drammen.
They look like Model S vehicles
snapshot_Pos13.jpg

Last edited:
I’m really keen to know an approximate number!

I have a feeling the answer will be at least whilst Tesla are using ships that burn fuel to transport cars, that all Tesla cars will never counterbalance the amount of fuel burned by the ships

About 8 months of driving. Lots of carbon released during the journey, but also lots of cars on the vessel. Works out at less than one ton CO2 per car.

• Informative
About 8 months of driving. Lots of carbon released during the journey, but also lots of cars on the vessel. Works out at less than one ton CO2 per car.

21,500 BHP.. 21 days (right?).. at 20 knots.. A very very rough guesstimate would be that it uses 50 tonnes per day or around 1,000 tonnes per trip. If it carries 5,000 cars then it's 200 kg or 230 liters of diesel per car for the trip. At 20 km/l that equals 4,600 km for a diesel car. Keep in mind that the ship may or may not have to head back to Asia or the US mostly empty to get new business so it would be 4,600 x 2 if that's the case.

• Informative
21,500 BHP.. 21 days (right?).. at 20 knots.. A very very rough guesstimate would be that it uses 50 tonnes per day or around 1,000 tonnes per trip. If it carries 5,000 cars then it's 200 kg or 230 liters of diesel per car for the trip. At 20 km/l that equals 4,600 km for a diesel car. Keep in mind that the ship may or may not have to head back to Asia or the US mostly empty to get new business so it would be 4,600 x 2 if that's the case.

Pretty much. I based it on CO2 used. I then used the annual CO2 saved per Tesla to work out the time taken to 'repay' the CO2 'spend'. Although as MrM says, CO2 is less of an issue than the other pollutants.

TRITON ACE continues to progress across the Atlantic at 18kts.
At midday she was N43.1 W22.2 about 800nm SW of Lands End
She is on schedule to arrive in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton probably now on 23 Nov

Triton Ace Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND AURORA At midday her position was N26.2 W60.2 which is about 430nm SE of Bermuda.
The weather continues looks OK for her for the moment.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 24 Nov and I estimate she should arrive in Southampton on 26/27 Nov.

Grand Aurora Atlantic Progress.png

TOSCANA She is currently heading north through the Suez Canal.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 11.27.03.png

GLOVIS CRYSTAL continues to make good progress southwards along the Mexican coast.
She is currently doing 16kts about 170nm W of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
I described some weather considerations for her yesterday but she is still maintaining her course.
Although she is still 2 days away the Tehuantepecer wind has started to develop as expected and is already blowing 45kts.
Her ETA for Balboa is 01:00 23 Nov and so I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 5 Dec and Southampton a couple of days later.

The free GLOVIS CRYSTAL competition is up and running! Enter HERE

Glov Crystal Pacific.png

TANNHAUSER is currently crossing the Arabian Sea making 15kts with no weather concerns.
She will arrive at Suez on 25 Nov and Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

Tannhauser to Suez.png

RCC AMSTERDAM is currently loading alongside Pier 80 and I expect her to depart either later tonight or most likely early tomorrow morning - I will hopefully get a call later today advising me which it is.
I expect her in Zeebrugge around 8 Dec

GLOVIS SUN is currently on her way to Pier 80 and is due to arrive early on Thursday morning.
I’m not sure whether she will arrive on schedule because she is currently battling some horrendous weather with gusts of up to 60kts and waves of over 20ft high on her trip down from Canada.
I suspect that her Teslas will be destined for an Asian port.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN will be turning up at pier 80 later than I originally thought.
Assuming she pitches up directly after GLOVIS SUN I have revised my estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge to around 17 Dec.

This could be it for Q4 since I can’t find any more ships likely to make it to Europe this quarter.
(Whenever I say something like that - a ship appears!!)
We shall see……

Last edited: