Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X LR ordered 27/12/19. Tesla Edinburgh confirms car matched earlier this week. VIN in source code searched in VIN checker - matches 2020 Model X. Today checked the source code again - the VIN number has changed and is preceded by "inventory callback" - this one matches to a 2019 model X P90D. Is Tesla messing with my mind? Should I just stop checking and wait for an official text/call from Tesla??

Cosmos throttled back to 8 knots, obviously regen not quite as strong as in the M3. I wonder what the stopping distance is for a 200m lump of a vehicle ship ?

I wasn’t on here for UK summer/autumn deliveries last year, genuinely exciting seeing Cosmos, then Challenger, then Grand Mark make the scale of journeys they are doing with a week’s gap between them all. Fantastic !

Reactions: Roy W.
Its all a new world this following ships across the globe, all a bit sad in reality, but my boat will come in sometime!! just hooked on this Tesla thing my other half thinks I'm a bit mad she is probably right lol.
Most of us have done it, and most of us have been thought sad and/or mad. :oops:

The really sad thing is that I’ve had my Model 3 almost six months, and I’m still following the shipping movements...

Oh, no. Oh, oh, no....

capsize-.jpg
;)

That reminds me. It was almost exactly one year ago that the GOLDEN RAY docked at Pier 80 and loaded its precious Tesla cargo and departed for China.
This was a comparatively new ship entering service in 2017 benefitting from a modern bridge and all the benefits that modern computer technology can bring. Although like many other pure vehicle carriers she was 200 metres long she was a bit wider at just over 35 metres. That extra width allowed her to carry up to 7700 cars. She left Pier 80 on 13 Feb 19 and arrived safely in Shanghai on 1 Mar 19.

On 8 Sep 19 the GOLDEN RAY was leaving Brunswick, Georgia en route to Baltimore. She had onboard about 4500 Kia and Hyundai cars and as she entered the Atlantic she started to list. In an action reminscent of the HOEGH OSAKA incident in the Solent in Jan 2015, the local pilot immediately steered the vessel towards shallow water to prevent a total capsize. 23 crew members were rescued unharmed although for 3 of them trapped in the engine room with an uncontrolled fire it was a close run thing. The HOEGH OSAKA was refloated by the salvage company, subsequently repaired and quickly returned to service. That's not the case with the GOLDEN RAY - it's still at the mouth of the river, lying on it's side. It will be totally dismantled in situ.
images-2.jpeg

The US NTSB has yet to report on the GOLDEN RAY accident but the UK Maritime Accident Investigation Branch has issued its report on the HOEGH OSAKA incident which is an interesting read.

Reactions: Roy W.
Mr M, has the Grand Mark had a route change? It’s saying Bilbao as the destination port, arriving on the 10/02. Possibly unloading then on to Zee?

As has been pointed out, Balboa is the port at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal. The GRAND MARK's canal transit has been delayed by a couple of days. It was hoped that it would transit today (8th) but no slots were available. Hopefully it will now transit in the early hours of the 10th.