Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see on Twitter that a Pier 80 watcher reported on Friday that he is seeing lots of RHDs pitching up at the dock. Whether these are being loaded on to the ASIAN KING or in preparation for the GLOVIS CAPTAIN's arrival is not clear.
The ASIAN KING is due to depart tonight around 18:00 local.
Wherever it's going to, I suspect it has a full load.

Winds easing slightly for the Challenge, it has been dealing with 40+ knots, now down to yellow indicators from red.
are you sure ?
5d76a0042e22af7c1559b8b2.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Mark-R
is the auto progress taking Uk cars from the anchored challenge?

or is the challenge forgoing to ZEE? Then the auto will pick them up??

The positive note is that the vehicles have a better chance of being on a 20 plate I suppose. Should us UK challenge people get a delivery txt next week then?

what’s the best interior wrap to buy? I have a carbon one coming from China haha but I’m thinking of better quality?

cheers in advance, fellow Flash Gordon’s

... bit of a damp squib ship tracking day - Glovis Challenge doing quarter mile runs outside Zeebrugge, Grand Mark out of range, Brooklands out of range, Morning Cara not past Acapulco yet.

Was doing some reading on the PCTC type ships that are carrying our cars - they tend to be powered by massive 2-stroke engines ... but there are plans to design and build fully electric PCTC, LNG/Battery hybrids already being produced.

• Informative
Reactions: Boggle
Captain Miserable may have the answer to this one, as I believe he has a seafaring background.

With storm Denis raging across the UK and the TV news showing dozens of cars stranded in deep water, coupled with severe weather in the Atlantic causing delays to shipping on passage to Europe, I found myself thinking, just how watertight are those containers stacked on deck, completely exposed to the elements, and more importantly, how dry are all those eagerly awaited Teslas stowed inside them!

As an Ex-Marine Engineer Officer, I have experienced first hand just how bad sea conditions can get in the Atlantic, and how big those seas can get in gale-force conditions. Whilst I never sailed on container ships, I am familiar with the construction of the containers and I would be very surprised if they are 100% sealed and completely watertight!! I want to be wrong about this, because at this very moment I have a Tesla X onboard the Maersk IOWA or it could be the Maersk IDAHO, on passage to Rotterdam and due to dock February 17th or 24th respectively.

I also spent many years as a professional Rally Driver, during which time I experienced a lot of big accidents, some of which ended up with the rally car in deep water where it could spend several hours partially submersed. So I am well acquainted with what happens to a car after a situation like this! and the short answer is, after a couple of hours with a hair drier, not a lot. You make sure no water has got into the fuel tank, blow through the fuel lines and twin Webber Carbs with a compressed air line, fire it up and drive away.

BUT I am shortly taking delivery of my first EV and as you would expect, I have familiarised myself with the Tesla method of construction, so I am also well aware that the floorpan is double skinned and houses an extremely large number of lithium batteries. Whilst I have no doubt this entire area has been made extremely waterproof, engineering logic tells me it cannot possibly be 100% watertight!

So my big question is: With a Tesla, how long can the inside of the battery compartment remain completely submerged underwater and the batteries stay dry? because when it eventually floods with water, and it will, very expensive things happen and your wife's hairdryer will not sort that out.

Has anyone any experience of a situation like this, or have any knowledge if it has featured on any other forum. I am particularly interested in the cost involved to sort a problem like this, and how insurers would view the situation. As a retired Insurance Broker, underwritten at Lloyds of London, I have this mental picture of a Tesla that has been submerged underwater for hours, dried out and looking like new, but declared a total write-off, due to possibly very high costs to put it back in perfect running order.

I know you can lift the entire body off a rusty Land Rover Chassis, and fit it all back onto a new galvanised one, I have no idea if a similar thing can be done with a Tesla.
Can anyone enlighten me?

PS: I hope everyone's Tesla arrives unscathed and all those ships make it safely into port, I also hope the container that has my name on is safely stowed down below decks ......!!

RFC7

All I know was that the biggest threat to my boat was hitting one of the many thousand containers that have been lost overboard and it ripping my keel off.
The fact that these things haven't sunk would tend to indicate that they have some degree of watertightness.
To be honest I think that they must be or else they wouldn't be fit for purpose.

I just loved the Submarine answer, that did make me laugh. I believe Elon Musk does have some knowledge on that subject? wasn't it him that offered to send his mini-sub to help rescue those lads stuck in an underground cave a couple of years ago?
If he built it, I have absolutely nothing to worry about, my batteries are dry.
RFC7

So if I was told mid march delivery but have no vin, is the MORNING CARA the ship that might bring my delight? Or are vin matches done pretty quickly after leaving pier 80 (in which case is there any other ship that could make a mid march delivery likely)?
Morning cara sailed on the13th and I’ve received a call on the 14th saying I’ve been matched with a car.
Have you tried looking for a hidden VIN I. Your Tesla account? (I downloaded a chrome extension and got the VIN that way).
Alternatively, try calling Tesla tomorrow to ask for updates...