Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MORNING CARA again

MorningCara.jpg

Wife : “Come on we need to go to the shops”

Me : “ALRIGHT, JUST WATCHING HOW SHIPS GO THROUGH THE PANAMA CANAL”

Wife : *sigh*

Interesting documentary - a little over dramatic perhaps. What it said about the competition is true but the Suez isn't its major threat. Climate change has made the NW passage (going over the top of Canada) a likely future route connecting the Far East with Europe and additionally there has been the threat of a rival canal to the north cutting through Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Everytime the Panama Canal increases its prices (it has a team of economists and financial geeks working out the maximum they can safely extract in fees and charges) it makes the alternatives more viable. The current water shortage in the Canal is becoming a crisis for the canal authorities. It has reduced the number of ships that can transit daily but it has had to increase the fees to counter the reduced income. The alternatives are being closely examined...

yes and the navy refer to their submarines as boats

but i'm not in the Navy.

It reminds me of a true story. A soldier was on guard at the entrance of a barracks when a naval officer turned up. After examining his ID he opened the barrier to let him in without saluting.
"Don't you salute Lt Comd's in the Army?" he asked.
"We don't have Lt Comds in the Army" said the soldier.

7 days jail for giving everybody a laugh.

The GLOVIS CAPTAIN is currently due (affording to Mr M.) to leave Pier 80 in San Francisco tomorrow (23 Feb). VINs seem to appear a day or two after departure from SF, so hopefully you will get the hidden VIN Monday or Tuesday next week.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN is still due to leave Pier 80 in the early hours of tomorrow. (Lunchtime in UK) ETA at Zeebrugge remains 16 Mar.