Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see a satellite update on BROOKLANDS and MORNING CARA.
If BROOKLANDS is delayed I can see a knock on effect to MORNING CARA's arrival.
I'm not sure Zeebrugge could handle the deluge of 2 ships within 2 days

Ask and you shall receive Mr M. This is Morning Cara - in the middle of nowhere making her way across the Atlantic. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 09.38.07.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 09.38.07.png
    452.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Mr Miserable
Unlike GRAND MARK, BROOKLANDS diary is pretty full with future commitments and there isn't much flexibility to allow her schedule to slip.
She is due into Bremerhaven on 9 Mar for a run to S America after she leaves Southampton and that date will be pretty rigid.

UPDATE
GRAND MARK was due to arrive in Bremerhaven on 29 Feb to do a run to the Middle East.

Last edited:
I would like to see a satellite update on BROOKLANDS and MORNING CARA.
If BROOKLANDS is delayed I can see a knock on effect to MORNING CARA's arrival.
I'm not sure Zeebrugge could handle the deluge of 2 ships within 2 days

Here she is ("Dorsal Knob"). Speed currently hovering around 13kns.

My free satellite access expires around mid day tomorrow so will be sure to post some updates before then, but someone else will have to sign up to take over the updates! Not sure how long it will be until she is in range of land based tracking...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227-095054.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-095054.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 36
almost feels like a deliberate slowdown of BROOKLANDS, it has raced across to just below the Azores then a 1/3 reduction in speed in time for the final 1700 miles or so.
I was thinking the same. I was actually thinking the same regarding GLOVIS CHALLENGE, but I don't appreciate or understand enough about shipping and logistics to know why someone would deliberately delay the arrival of these ships. Ignorance is bliss as they say!

Brooklands starting to be picked up on some tracking without subscribing to satellite. ETA is now showing as slipping back a day already, you don’t think that the slowing down is in some way linked to the other two ships having to hang around outside Zee for a few days and therefore she is managing her arrival.
CD6EE2C8-FCAD-46FB-92C0-40C60AAC254D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Danb_Cym
Brooklands starting to be picked up on some tracking without subscribing to satellite. ETA is now showing as slipping back a day already, you don’t think that the slowing down is in some way linked to the other two ships having to hang around outside Zee for a few days and therefore she is managing her arrival.
View attachment 515649
Interesting, thanks for this update! I havent got the updated ETA on my tracking using satellite (last update received 10 mins ago) but I have no idea how accurate all the different tracking sites are, as previously mentioned some tracking sites update the ETA based on the ship speed. I would have thought any update from terrestrial AIS would be the same data as the satellite? I'm far to unfamiliar with all of this to make any judgement, perhaps someone can educate me!

Reactions: ANDY400R
View attachment 515649

The schedule is everything. The world has moved to a 'just in time' culture.
It depends on everyone in the chain working to the given schedule, and when it does the logistics just fall into place
As soon as a spanner is introduced to that well-oiled machine it can cause mayhem but the goal is to minimise impact on the future schedule. The domino effect is to be avoided at all costs. You draw a line and accept the increased costs of the temporary hiccup but actively resist extensions to the 'hiccup'. You need a contingency budget to allow the inevitable issues to be tackled quickly and effectively and your decision makers need to be empowered to draw on that contigency to ensure small problems do not become big problems.
The biggest enemy to just in time logistics is an interfering bean counter who is on a mission to drive down costs. Delay costs money. Avoiding delay costs money too but it is a one-off.
If the ships crossing the Atlantic are the production line - you should never, ever, see it deliberately slowed.

Interesting, thanks for this update! I havent got the updated ETA on my tracking using satellite (last update received 10 mins ago) but I have no idea how accurate all the different tracking sites are, as previously mentioned some tracking sites update the ETA based on the ship speed. I would have thought any update from terrestrial AIS would be the same data as the satellite? I'm far to unfamiliar with all of this to make any judgement, perhaps someone can educate me!

If a ship is out of range of terrestrial AIS receivers, the free tracking sites show the speed the ship was doing when the last signal was received, which can be days, or even weeks, ago. A satellite obtained AIS report will show current speed and position - that's what I work off. In the AIS signal is also a ship-inputted destination and ETA - that is very useful too but not always reliable. As you are aware some tracking sites calculate an ETA based on closing speed which also can be useful as long as you are aware that it is a calculated ETA.

I calculate ETAs and if they more or less agree with the stated ETA I will go with the latter. If my figures don't agree, I will say so and you will have seen that when the BROOKLANDS left the Panama Canal - I came out and said so and subsequently the ETA was revised by BROOKLANDS. I also said it for the ASIAN KING, but so far, as far as I can see, it has not revised its ETA yet.

My car is allegedly on GRAND MARK from Zee (CHALLENGE before that). Just been given a collection date of 4th March. Some confusion around whether the lease company are going to collect and deliver to me (they say they don't do that but Tesla are under the impression that they do) so I'm trying to ensure that it'll be in Birmingham as opposed to Chipping Warden) hopefully correcting this won't cause any delay.

My car is allegedly on GRAND MARK from Zee (CHALLENGE before that). Just been given a collection date of 4th March. Some confusion around whether the lease company are going to collect and deliver to me (they say they don't do that but Tesla are under the impression that they do) so I'm trying to ensure that it'll be in Birmingham as opposed to Chipping Warden) hopefully correcting this won't cause any delay.
I have a date of the 6th March Dartford but as I see it that is incredibly optimistic seeing what's happening to Grand Mark currently.

Here she is ("Dorsal Knob"). Speed currently hovering around 13kns.

My free satellite access expires around mid day tomorrow so will be sure to post some updates before then, but someone else will have to sign up to take over the updates! Not sure how long it will be until she is in range of land based tracking...

Could you tell me the Lat Long position of BROOKLANDS please.

I got my M3 confirmed, VIN, License, appointment date the works. Then I called Tesla just now (something unrelated) and shared my excitement to which they said my car was in Southampton?

Well i'm confused because of where Grand Mark is right now, but I guess I would air on the side of the guy on the phone not being accurate with his information...?