Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The satellite image of Pier 80 taken yesterday shows a fair amount of cars waiting to be loaded but to be absolutely honest I was expecting to see more. The previous ship didn't take many and and so I would have been expecting to see at least a weeks worth of production ready to load but perhaps Tesla is employing the 'Just in Time' method or as my wife calls it "leaving it to the last minute again".

• Informative
Reactions: Mark S
I wonder if Tesla have considered using AutoPilot/FSD for loading onto ships? Surely they could have a whole column of cars all follow each other on to the ship with one person driving the front one.

Docks the world over remain a bastion of union controlled labour and I'm pretty sure they would have a word or two about this idea...

Reactions: Mark S and Gazmayo
The satellite image of Pier 80 taken yesterday shows a fair amount of cars waiting to be loaded but to be absolutely honest I was expecting to see more. The previous ship didn't take many and and so I would have been expecting to see at least a weeks worth of production ready to load but perhaps Tesla is employing the 'Just in Time' method or as my wife calls it "leaving it to the last minute again".

Do you reckon she's going to be alongside longer than originally scheduled? She doesn't seem to have scheduled her departure for the 11th yet...

Do you reckon she's going to be alongside longer than originally scheduled? She doesn't seem to have scheduled her departure for the 11th yet...
The San Francisco Chronicle has published its list of departures to the 13 July and it doesn't feature on those lists.
Additionally I was told earlier today not to expect a departure until 14 July and that seems likely to be true.
That being the case, assuming its heading to Zeebrugge, it won't arrive now until around 4 August.

The global pandemic has caused everyone problems in some way or another but spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands of crew on cargo ships who are finding themselves exiled to a life at sea. The travel restrictions when arriving at a foreign port and the lack of intercontinental flights at the moment mean that crews are stuck onboard and unable to rotate as normal. In March/April the car manufacturing industry in the West as good as closed down and although there were still cars to ship the quantity was not at normal levels. Some ship operators foresaw the looming problem and recalled many of their vessels to their home ports in the Far East to allow crew changes to take place in the absence of international flights. The factory shutdowns were soon over and the demand for ships quickly ramped up again. Those ships still operating in Europe and Eastern US Seaboard were kept busy and extracting them from their commitments has proved to be a tricky exercise. Life onboard for many is becoming tiresome with no end in sight. I am seeing major changes to shipping schedules at the moment in an attempt to get ships back to the Far East to enable long overdue crew changes to take place. As crews become fatigued and individual motivation across the board reduces, the risk of accidents occurring increases markedly. The RoRo sector already has a poor safety record, let's hope the professionalism of the crews helps them maintain their diligence and vigilance and not let them descend into a groundhog day routine. Lets also hope that the operators do their bit too and get the crews relieved as soon as possible - it's in everybody's interest..

If a shipment does held to Belgium, how are the shipments usually split, does 100% go to one particular country or would a proportion of each shipment head to different European countries? I guess what I am getting at is how many are likely to end up in the UK please? I wonder how many shipments long Tesla UK current waiting list is. Love these updates though, it has helped me make peace with fact mid-August will be earliest really... carless for a month, I can handle that but beyond that I am into choppy waters

• Informative
Reactions: Sparky5891
If a shipment does held to Belgium, how are the shipments usually split, does 100% go to one particular country or would a proportion of each shipment head to different European countries? I guess what I am getting at is how many are likely to end up in the UK please? I wonder how many shipments long Tesla UK current waiting list is. Love these updates though, it has helped me make peace with fact mid-August will be earliest really... carless for a month, I can handle that but beyond that I am into choppy waters
I expect the GLOVIS SUN to go to Zeebrugge first where it will unload the bulk of its cargo (for the whole of EU) and then head for Southampton with about 1000-1500 cars a couple of days later, although I haven't got anything to back that assumption up. If the numbers in this shipment for the UK are low the cars will be crossloaded in Zeebrugge on to another vessel which delays the process considerably. I also haven't been tipped off yet of approximately how many RHD have rolled off the production line - which is unusual..

Why not drive the cars directly from the back of the transporters into the ship hence reducing cost?

Why not drive the cars directly from the back of the transporters into the ship hence reducing cost?
A fair question on the face of it. However, the largest ships contain '000s of cars.... can you imagine hundreds of car transporters queuing to load, even if that many were available at once. These ships are Roll-on Roll-Off meaning that transporters would be blocked by all the cars in front of them so how would they exit once empty?

I'm sure the shipping companies have worked out the most efficient logistics to turn vessels around as fast as possible once docked, including having all the cargo already available by the pier side.

I was hoping that by now the San Francisco Port Schedule would have been updated but the website continues to show the version dated 2 July. The hope was that an updated version would confirm the strong rumour that the GLOVIS SUN will not depart until Tuesday 14 July and see if any other ships have appeared on the forecast. There are a number of possible future vessels that will be in the area by the end of the month including ASIAN GLORY, GLOVIS SPLENDOR and GLOVIS SUNRISE. GLOVIS SUNRISE is interesting as I think it may be subject to an altered schedule (see post #4193 above) and may instead head back to the Far East for a crew change.
I don't know whether the Chinese GF is producing M3 Performance yet and so I expect to see a shipment of those to China, supplemented with S/X, soon.

Last edited:
A fair question on the face of it. However, the largest ships contain '000s of cars.... can you imagine hundreds of car transporters queuing to load, even if that many were available at once. These ships are Roll-on Roll-Off meaning that transporters would be blocked by all the cars in front of them so how would they exit once empty?

I'm sure the shipping companies have worked out the most efficient logistics to turn vessels around as fast as possible once docked, including having all the cargo already available by the pier side.

I was thinking of the transporters being unloaded on the dockside by the same drivers that drive the cars onto the ship.