Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of the transporters being unloaded on the dockside by the same drivers that drive the cars onto the ship.

Not to go off on a tangent but for those wondering, I can perhaps provide some insight into how the shipping industry generally works (I'm a ship's officer when I'm not stuck at home!) - if you're interested more I'll happily discuss in a message or another thread as I don't want to take this away from its primary purpose;

Ships are charged fees for time spent docked "alongside" (can be up to thousands of dollars per day) - you may also be charged fees at some anchorages within port limits but generally, these are substantially less than the cost of actually docking. Depending on port these fees can either be per day, half-day or even per hour in busy terminals. You're also usually charged fees for occupying a berth but not loading/unloading at some of the busier ports. For that reason its generally unusual to find cargo ships docked alongside in busy ports any longer than needed - most busy ports it will be a case of, ship docks, within 30 minutes clearance paperwork is completed, offloading commences, loading commences (sometimes at the same time as unloading), loading completes, paperwork is done, the ship departs the berth.

For ro-ro carriers, once the ramps down the local rules usually have unionised labour (pretty much every country), depending on efficiency this usually involves several teams; 5-10 drivers will drive the cars on, followed by a minibus which will then pick the guys up and bring them back to the start point to jump in the next cars to be loaded... usually, there are multiple teams ensuring a constant flow of vehicles to minimise the time taken which ultimately minimises the cost. Cargo also generally has to be cleared for loading by customs and or other authorities so usually has to be in the port hours before loading - if not days.

There will be a loading plan to optimise space and efficiency, especially if the ship is stopping to load/unload at multiple ports en-route, as well as ensuring the weight is distributed evenly throughout the ship for stability reasons - if you don't do this, you end up with what happened in Southampton a few years ago ( Grounded ship 'unstable' from departure )

Another reason time alongside is usually minimised is that under the usual charter agreements that the owners have with the charterers delays which are caused by cargo not being ready to load, or as a result of charterer instructions result in heavy costs (in form of penalties as well as all operational costs during that time) being the responsibility of the charterer - this can easily reach thousands of dollars per day.

Anyhow, without knowing the exact details of Tesla's charter party agreement with Glovis (I assume they charter the ship and aren't just taking advantage of a liner service since they seem to only be Tesla's onboard) I can't say much more but hopefully, it's answered some thoughts you might have about why things are the way they are.

Whilst we wait for the San Francisco Port Schedule to be updated, I have done a trawl of possible future Tesla ships.
They are, in alphabetical order:
ASIAN GLORY
GLOVIS SPLENDOR
GLOVIS SUNLIGHT
GRAND CHOICE
K. ASIAN BEAUTY
VIKING BRAVERY

I will be keeping an eye on these vessels and reckon a couple of them at least will call at Pier 80 this quarter.

I am watching whether this first European RoRo will be having cars transferred to another ship in Europe bound for UAE like we saw in Q1 (almost 2 month journey)

The first 1000 Model 3s unloaded in Dubai were hit by a massive hailstorm on the pier In March and many hundreds of deliveries were cancelled.

Some replacement parts have gone to UAE via China, but many owners are still waiting and no ship arrived in Q2.

Last edited:
I am watching whether this first European RoRo will be having cars transferred to another ship in Europe bound for UAE like we saw in Q1 (almost 2 month journey)

The first 1000 Model 3s unloaded in Dubai were hit by a massive hailstorm on the pier In March and many hundreds of deliveries were cancelled.

Some replacement parts have gone to UAE via China, but many owners are still waiting and no ship arrived in Q2.

The GLOVIS SUN is heading to S Africa for its next trip which would confirm that a cross loading would be required if any cars for Dubai were onboard.

EDIT: Looking into this further, I doubt there will be any cars for Dubai onboard the GLOVIS SUN.

Last edited:
Further to post #4198 I can confirm that the GLOVIS SUNRISE is heading for Korea via Japan and China. This is a major scheduling change most probably due to the inability to conduct a routine crew change.
Still time for it to go east via Pier 80 though...

UPDATE: It's scheduled to arrive in Benicia on 22 July

Last edited:
So not Europe?
I am pretty certain that GLOVIS SUN will be heading to Zeebrugge because it is then heading off to S Africa from Bremerhaven in August.
The next ship to arrive at Pier 80 is GRAND DOLPHIN - I have no clue to her destination.
However I am pretty certain that GRAND DAHLIA will be EU bound and likewise the GLOVIS CAPTAIN.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WarwickPete
As originally thought, a source has confirmed to me that the GLOVIS SUN will depart Pier 80 in the small hours of Tuesday 14 Jul.
The destination has not yet been confirmed but I'm pretty confident it will be Zeebrugge because I have found the ship scheduled to depart Bremerhaven to S Africa in early August.
On that basis we can expect an arrival in Zeebrugge around 4 Aug.
I then expect it to head to Southampton arriving around 7 Aug.

As originally thought, a source has confirmed to me that the GLOVIS SUN will depart Pier 80 in the small hours of Tuesday 14 Jul.
The destination has not yet been confirmed but I'm pretty confident it will be Zeebrugge because I have found the ship scheduled to depart Bremerhaven to S Africa in early August.

That’s excellent news :) fingered crossed my car is on it :)

Reactions: Mark S

Great news! Thanks Mr M for keeping us all posted. How long does it typically take from ship arriving in Southampton to car ready for collection at delivery centre? I'm going away (would be great to have the car for the long drive!) on Friday 14th and in an ideal world I'd pick it up week commencing 10th August. Birmingham delivery centre. Obviously a big if, when it comes to whether I'd even be matched with a car on Glovis Sun!

^ @boater291 probably best not to link any of your plans with Tesla dates. shipping into delivery logistics is fine for some folks but not so certain for many others.

I ordered in Nov last year and only found out my vehicle was matched a week before the BROOKLANDS was due to arrive, then shot myself in the foot by re-ordering a different spec, as second time around literally nobody can tell me when my Feb order is going to be matched to a vehicle.

Crystal balls at the ready ....

If there is crossboarding for Dubai, it will be in Europe. The cars would be unloaded from Glovis Sun. It is speculated they get a charge as it is a 2 month journey, and reloaded on to a RoRo.

We now know in Q1 (with the benefit of hindsight) Glovis Cosmos did not have any onboard after Europe, even though it went to Dubai, 4 days after the arrival of Asian Dynasty (1300 onboard). Ironically, if the cars had been on Glovis Cosmos, the cars would not have been smashed by the hail storm on the Jebel Ali pier.

I’ll be watching for these possibilities and keep an eye on the NMT options.

Last edited: