Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The GLOVIS SUN left Pier 80 24 hrs ago.
In that time she has travelled about 325nm averaging just under 14kts.
She is currently 120 nm SW of Los Angeles and making 15 kts.
As mentioned earlier she does appear to have increased her speed and so this time tomorrow I will include a likely ETA at Panama.
The weather outlook continues to be fine although looking ahead to the weekend, as she nears Southern Mexico, that may change.

The next ship to load at Pier 80, GRAND DOLPHIN is expected to arrive there late tonight (local time).
Her departure time and destination has yet to be determined and may not be to the EU.
I have seen no evidence to suggest that she is heading to Europe whereas I have seen enough for the next 2 ships the GRAND DAHLIA and GLOVIS CAPTAIN to say that they will.

A chart showing how the GLOVIS SUN is progressing towards Panama which I will update daily.
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 13.15.50.png

The GLOVIS SUN left Pier 80 24 hrs ago.
In that time she has travelled about 325nm averaging just under 14kts.
As mentioned earlier she does appear to have increased her speed and so this time tomorrow I will include a likely ETA at Panama.
The weather outlook continues to be fine although looking ahead to the weekend, as she nears Southern Mexico, that may change.

The next ship to load at Pier 80, GRAND DOLPHIN is expected to arrive there late tonight (local time).
Her departure time and destination has yet to be determined and may not be to the EU.
I have seen no evidence to suggest that she is heading to Europe whereas I have seen enough for the next 2 ships the GRAND DAHLIA and GLOVIS CAPTAIN to say that they will.
Thanks for this update. I reckon, like me, those of us new to the crazy world of Tesla's business model are thoroughly confused by the whole process. At least by tracking shipments we should be able to work out better if our vehicles have bene assigned or not.

I've just been reviewing my list of possible future Tesla vessels and pencilling them in on a calendar.
From that admittedly sketchy research I get the impression that we may not be looking at a bumper 8 ship quarter but possibly only 6, or even just 5.
Whilst GLOVIS SUN is a bigger than standard ship, both GRAND DAHLIA and GLOVIS CAPTAIN are standard sized and so if the numbers are to be any good this quarter the ships from no 4 onwards will need to be big. That narrows my search criteria somewhat.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark S
Thanks Mr M

Because the wait for the X is killing me, I've had turned my hand to a bit of online marine vessel sleuthing (so this will probably be wrong).
Unless Vedaprime knows that there hasn't been any containers arrive at the BNSF Pearland terminal yet.... The Safmarine Mafadi left Houston on the 12th enroute to Norfolk / Antwerp / Rotterdam. Also the Maersk Montana will be arriving tomorrow (16th) in Houston then following the same route. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the wait for the X is killing me, I've had turned my hand to a bit of online marine vessel sleuthing (so this will probably be wrong).
Unless Vedaprime knows that there hasn't been any containers arrive at the BNSF Pearland terminal yet.... The Safmarine Mafadi left Houston on the 12th enroute to Norfolk / Antwerp / Rotterdam. Also the Maersk Montana will be arriving tomorrow (16th) in Houston then following the same route. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As I said in that post its a scheduled container route. If you look back through this thread you'll find the names of the other ships involved MAERSK IDAHO and MAERSK IOWA I think from memory. These things move thousands of containers every trip - not every trip has Tesla freight onboard.

• Helpful
Reactions: CPhoenix
I have been asked, what is kts?
A knot is a unit of speed. 1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour.
Which leads to the next question What is a nautical mile?
(I used to say a mile + VAT but then the Chancellor increased VAT from 15% to 20% and the sums just didn't work anymore)
There is a good description here

Feel free to DM me if I say something that isn't clear :)

Nope. And to make it even less transparent it's ordered through a leasing company. I do have a RN for what it's worth (nothing I think)

Need some confirmation from VEDA and Mr Miserable where we should be looking now???

Unless you have access to the My Manage page of your Tesla account you won’t be able find out your hidden vin unless your lease company would be prepared to do it. If you do have access to the page, I explain the process on how to find your hidden vin at Vedaprime.net.au. Without the hidden vin, it won’t be possible to track your containered Model X individually.

Unless you have access to the My Manage page of your Tesla account you won’t be able find out your hidden vin unless your lease company would be prepared to do it. If you do have access to the page, I explain the process on how to find your hidden vin at Vedaprime.net.au. Without the hidden vin, it won’t be possible to track your containered Model X individually.

Thanks Veda. Unfortunately no access to the My Manage page. Will simply revel in others supply chain shenanigans and your X container updates

What are you using to track these? I used the marine traffic app, and have alerts set up for the vessels you mention but that one failed to alert when she arrived at San Francisco
Marinetraffic has the best coverage and their app has recently been improved too - you won't go far wrong with that. The alerts you have set up can be dependent on a number of things, most of which are outside the control of the app itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark S
GLOVIS SUN continues to make good progress towards the Panama Canal. I estimate she will arrive there next Wednesday 22 Jul.
Her AIS continues to show an incorrect destination of PAPAC - it should be displaying PABLB (Balboa, Panama), and its also showing the doubtful ETA of 24 July. No matter, she's on the way and the possibility of an earlier canal transit and arrival in Zeebrugge is on the cards.
I now estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 4 Aug. Southampton on 7 Aug.
I have marked her latest position on the chart. She will soon not be visible to land based AIS receivers but I will continue to monitor her progress.
Of interest is the fact that she has just passed GRAND DAHLIA which is making her way northwards. She will be the next ship to load at Pier 80 after the GRAND DOLPHIN.

The GRAND DOLPHIN will be loading at Pier 80 until at least Saturday according to one of my sources. I was hoping for more information but it is 'sparrow fart' o'clock in San Francisco at the moment and so I won't get an update until much later.

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 13.15.50.png

GLOVIS SUN continues to make good progress towards the Panama Canal. I estimate she will arrive there next Wednesday 22 Jul.
Her AIS continues to show an incorrect destination of PAPAC - it should be displaying PABLB (Balboa, Panama), and its also showing the doubtful ETA of 24 July. No matter, she's on the way and the possibility of an earlier canal transit and arrival in Zeebrugge is on the cards.
I now estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 4 Aug. Southampton on 7 Aug.
I have marked her latest position on the chart. She will soon not be visible to land based AIS receivers but I will continue to monitor her progress.
Of interest is the fact that she has just passed GRAND DAHLIA which is making her way northwards. She will be the next ship to load at Pier 80 after the GRAND DOLPHIN.

The GRAND DOLPHIN will be loading at Pier 80 until at least Saturday according to one of my sources. I was hoping for more information but it is 'sparrow fart' o'clock in San Francisco at the moment and so I won't get an update until much later.

View attachment 565074
For if it helps the ETA, I got the call from Tesla confirming me i have a Vin Assigned, and that the delivery (In Spain) is Scheduled for 21th - 24th August