Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather sadly I am keeping an eye on a ship that is 3 weeks away from Zeebrugge when I don’t even know if my car is on it.

However there are upsides. Spotted a smaller ship near to current location for the DAHLIA. It’s a tug.

One of the photos on Marine Traffic for that tug wins the shipping internet today. I feel like I’m saving the whale, umm by shipping a car (maybe) half way round the world to run at zero emissions. Yay.

View attachment 569257
I'm pretty sure the Grand Dahlia is a sailboat. so you're all good as far as the planet is concerned!

GLOVIS SUN continues to maintain 18 kts and she is bang on track. There is no significant weather identified to affect her passage in the next 48 hours. ETA Zeebrugge 5 Aug. Those folk who entered the GLOVIS SUN competition can get a pretty good idea now if they are in the running...
GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND DAHLIA has increased her speed to nearly 19 kts. I can only assume this is to enable her to conduct her Panama Canal transit on 2 Aug. She is currently off the Mexican coast abeam Puerta Vallarta and will encounter some thunderstorms in the next 24 hours but they shouldn't affect her progress. Don't forget to enter the competition.

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 13.33.22.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN is loading at Pier 80. I am unaware of how loading is progressing at the moment but there is certainly no plan to depart before Thursday 30 Jul.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR has arrived in San Diego from Japan and is on time to arrive at Pier 80 on Monday.

UPDATE: GRAND DAHLIA has appeared on the Zeebrugge Port Schedule as arriving on 15 Aug.

Last edited:
For Model S/X to Europe - no data yet in the data streams from Houston.

I have seen Model S/X Vins going to Australia/New Zealand, so I do know Model S/X have been built for overseas markets started early July.

Next update about the same time next week. Maersk Montana and Maersk Iowa are the ones being tracked.

Thanks Veda

I notice Montana is ETA Antwerp this coming Saturday. When would you expect the VINs from this vessel to come thru?

Montana's 1st EU arrival is Antwerp ETA now showing Sunday 0600hrs and Rotterdam Monday 2300hrs

Veda previously stated that VINs come thru prior to vessel arrival - or maybe I got this wrong

Interested to understand when VINs are known with reference to vessel ETA or after ETA
The answer is "somewhere in the Atlantic" which is clearly before ETA.
At this stage, something may be on the MAERSK MONTANA, or may not.

Appreciate I am transient - just trying to get my bearings (pardon the pun)

Veda mentioned an update this time next week. So I deduced from this the VINs would not be available until post ETA Antwerp or Rotterdam assuming as you say the relevant boxes are on board

Much appreciate the effort you both put into this and the routine recycling of info for us newbies

what I do know so far is there is no Montana data at all in the streams yet. Until, I see this, then Montana is just a suspected ship. The next data push is this time next week. I have seen this before where the data can open up around Rotterdam arrival.

• Informative
Reactions: DJP31
GLOVIS SUN Presently 400nm NE of Bermuda. On track and on time to arrive at Zeebrugge on 5 Aug. Still making 18.5 kts. Weather is generally fine but with occasional heavy rain associated with isolated thunderstorm. 2740nm to go!
GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND DAHLIA. Presently 100nm W of Acapulco. maintaining 18.5 kts ETA Zeebrugge 15 Aug. Weather is overcast with rain showers occasionally heavy with isolated thunderstorms. Enter competition!

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 12.43.26.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN Still loading at Pier 80. No departure imminent. I estimate she will arrive Zeebrugge around 21 Aug.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR Should arrive at Pier 80 on Monday. I estimate she will arrive Zeebrugge around 28 Aug.

27 boxes on the Montana and 10/12 on Iowa

August ships for possible Model S and Model X shipments are:

MAERSK MONTANA arrives Rotterdam 3 Aug
MAERSK IOWA arrives Rotterdam 10 Aug
MAERSKA IDAHO arrives Rotterdam 17 Aug
MAERSK NIJMEGAN arrives Rotterdam 22 Aug
MAERSK OHIO arrives Rotterdam 24 Aug
SAFMARINE MAFADI arrives Rotterdam 31 Aug

A question to prove Mr M knowledge haha.

We know a lot already about the transport with Shipd, but could you say how’s the transport to Spain, for example?

we have for Glovis Sun, delibery dates between 21th and 24th August, isnt that too much?

They go by road from Zeebrugge to Spain.
I recall seeing photos of transporters heading for Spain & Portugal in the past.
21-24 Aug is plenty of time.

Last edited: