Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been told I can expect mine early September but I still have no VIN. Have you received yours yet?
No vin yet either, what spec have you on order?
Mine:
Model X Performance
Ludicrous Mode
Pearl White Multi-Coat
22" Onyx Black Wheels
All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
Six Seat Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging

was expected for March delivery originally, in April was told a June delivery date, in June I was told to expect a vin number on July 15th, on July 15th was told to expect delivery in mid September. (I’m not hopeful that my car will be with me in September) No vin yet either

No vin yet either, what spec have you on order?
Mine:
Model X Performance
Ludicrous Mode
Pearl White Multi-Coat
22" Onyx Black Wheels
All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
Six Seat Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging

was expected for March delivery originally, in April was told a June delivery date, in June I was told to expect a vin number on July 15th, on July 15th was told to expect delivery in mid September. (I’m not hopeful that my car will be with me in September) No vin yet either

Ordered 3rd February:
  • Model X Performance
  • Ludicrous Mode
  • Midnight Silver Metallic
  • 22" Onyx Black Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging

Reactions: nandol97
If your delivery date is mid - late August its probably on Glovis Sun... if it's early September it's probably on the Grand Dahlia.

I think September deliveries are more likely on the GLOVIS CAPTAIN. If the GRAND DAHLIA arrives at Zeebrugge on 13 Aug, it will be in Southampton a couple of days later. Give Tesla a couple of weeks to get the cars delivered takes us to the end of August. Any thoughts @Mr Miserable?

GLOVIS CAPTAIN left Pier 80 on Friday. I got first contact about being matched a couple of days later. Today I got delivery date of 4th September, which is 2 weeks after @Mr Miserable's prediction of its arrival in Zeebrugge on 21 Aug. I strongly suspect these things are linked.

Or am I wrong?!

For those following Hong Kong movements, I did detect about 50 Teslas and their vins on container ship One Ibis, recently arrived in Hong Kong a couple of days ago. This is in addition to the 2 large RoRo shipments on Glovis Sonic and Glovis Dolphin

About 23 crew.

Do you know, to what extent are these crew members involved in the offloading the cargo? So when they dock in Zeebrugge, do these guys get a few hours shore leave, or are they all working hard to offload the cars? I'm guessing at least some of them must be involved, but I'd like to think some of them get to have a beer or... whatever after weeks at sea :)

Also, just for info, any guess at how much the charter cost for a ship like the GS is? That's only part of the total delivery cost to Europe for sure, but if I made a guess like maybe $1000 per car for just the sea transit from San Francisco to Zeebrugge would that be anything close? I would think that's maybe light but then I'd be surprised probably if it was $2000 (sorry, I'm just a curious person :) ) I don't know anything about what port loading/unloading costs might be plus demurrage risk, also what incoterms this sort of delivery might be under (CIF?).

Reactions: HKP_Tom
Do you know, to what extent are these crew members involved in the offloading the cargo? So when they dock in Zeebrugge, do these guys get a few hours shore leave, or are they all working hard to offload the cars? I'm guessing at least some of them must be involved, but I'd like to think some of them get to have a beer or... whatever after weeks at sea :)

The unloading/loading is done by local stevedores - union rules, the world over.
There is plenty to be done by the crew to facilitate the process though.
The ship will be in port the minimum time possible - it costs money.
Whilst in port the ship will need victualling (food and supplies will have been ordered in advance)
The ship may need bunkering (refuelling although these ships can go for months without refuelling, so tend only to refuel if necessary or it is cheap).
The ship will need to be kept in trim during the loading/unloading - generally done by pumping water from various ballast tanks.
This may be the only opportunity for the engineers to do some routine maintenance on the engines or other key systems.
The bridge will continue to be manned. The watch system continues.
No, port time is busy, busy, busy.
It's not like the Navy!

Also, just for info, any guess at how much the charter cost for a ship like the GS is? That's only part of the total delivery cost to Europe for sure, but if I made a guess like maybe $1000 per car for just the sea transit from San Francisco to Zeebrugge would that be anything close? I would think that's maybe light but then I'd be surprised probably if it was $2000 (sorry, I'm just a curious person :) ) I don't know anything about what port loading/unloading costs might be plus demurrage risk, also what incoterms this sort of delivery might be under (CIF?).
Probably the most closely guarded secret is how much is paid. Your guess is as good as anybody's, quite frankly.
The costs incurred are considerable.
There have been numerous investigations in to price rigging by the big players. So much so that some car manufacturers have got into the shipping business themselves out of necessity.

• Informative
Reactions: M3PScot