Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GLOVIS SIGMA She continues to make excellent progress - it’s almost as if she is racing PLATINUM RAY to Zeebrugge!
She has about 2625nm to go and by my reckoning she could arrive early but will not beat the PLATINUM RAY.
Her position at midday today is shown on the chart below.
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is late evening of 12 Sep.
I will announce the GLOVIS SIGMA competition winner shortly!

GLOVIS SIGMA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS CLIPPER She is making steady progress across the Caribbean towards the Mona Passage and her midday position is shown on the chart below. By tomorrow she will have entered the Atlantic via the passage which is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the channel it's only about 100m deep. On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the channel can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 16 Sep which is easily achievable. She is not due to depart until 14:00 on 17 Sep and so if she is coming to Southampton it will be on 18 Sep.

Glovis Clipper Caribbean.png

PLATINUM RAY is racing across the Atlantic, her last position report had her speed as 20.6kts!
Her position is shown on the chart below.
She will have noted that Omar is now downgraded to Post Tropical Cyclone, and is approaching her from the south. However at this stage the storm is all but spent and it will just be an area that is a bit windier and she will notice an increase in wave height to 2-3m - I doubt she will need to reduce speed.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 0300 on 12 Sep and so we can hope she will pitch up in Southampton around 14th.
Anyway we are witnessing a fast transatlantic crossing from her.

Platinum Ray Progress.png

I’m continuing to monitor Newark just in case another shipment appears….

Reactions: Roy W.
We didn’t have a direct hit in the GLOVIS SIGMA competition.
The winning square was O11 and the nearest hit was O10 chosen by @Eamonnw
Congratulations to you!
You win nothing, zilch, nada but the undying admiration and respect from the other forum members.
Please feel free to lord it over the losers - chief among them was @Roy W. in square Q11 and in 3rd place @Carl_SG in M11.

We didn’t have a direct hit in the GLOVIS SIGMA competition.
The winning square was O11 and the nearest hit was O10 chosen by @Eamonnw
Congratulations to you!

Looks like the pints at the Pub tonight are going to be bought by the lucky big winner of the dodgy competition @Eamonnw , leaving the rest of us gormless ones in the dust. Last bloak to go Arse over tits buys the first round tomorrow, unless they were snogging up to the bar maid when it happened. Cheers Mates !

RT

Reactions: OneTinyFish
PLATINUM RAY continues to race across the Atlantic covering over 465 miles in the last 24 hours. Her position is shown on the chart below.
She is just crossing the Grand Banks, a particularly shallow part of the Atlantic. This area is renowned for its regular extreme foggy conditions caused by the meeting of the southbound cold Labrador current with the warm waters of the northbound Gulf Stream.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 0300 on 12 Sep and so we can hope she will pitch up in Southampton around 14th.
Anyway we are witnessing a very fast transatlantic crossing from her.

Platinum Ray Progress.png

GLOVIS SIGMA
She is 458 miles south of PLATINUM RAY and continues her high speed dash to Zeebrugge. Her position at midday today is shown on the chart below.
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is late evening of 12 Sep but she could be early if she continues at this rate.

GLOVIS SIGMA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS CLIPPER She is now established on course in the Atlantic. Her position at midday today is shown on the chart below.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 16 Sep which is easily achievable. She is not due to depart until 14:00 on 17 Sep and so if she is coming to Southampton it will be on 18 Sep.

Glovis Clipper Atlantic Progress.png

I’m continuing to monitor Newark just in case another shipment appears, as there is still time to squeeze one more in ….

Reactions: Roy W.
PLATINUM RAY continues to race across the Atlantic covering over 465 miles in the last 24 hours. Her position is shown on the chart below.
She is just crossing the Grand Banks, a particularly shallow part of the Atlantic. This area is renowned for its regular extreme foggy conditions caused by the meeting of the southbound cold Labrador current with the warm waters of the northbound Gulf Stream.
Anyway we are witnessing a very fast transatlantic crossing from her.

View attachment 585336

GLOVIS SIGMA
She is 458 miles south of PLATINUM RAY and continues her high speed dash to Zeebrugge. Her position at midday today is shown on the chart below.
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is late evening of 12 Sep but she could be early if she continues at this rate.

View attachment 585335

GLOVIS CLIPPER She is now established on course in the Atlantic. Her position at midday today is shown on the chart below.

View attachment 585337

I’m continuing to monitor Newark just in case another shipment appears, as there is still time to squeeze one more in ….
Rumour on Twitter about a ship called Tijuca confirmed Newark to Zee apparently.

Rumour on Twitter about a ship called Tijuca confirmed Newark to Zee apparently.
I'm aware of the rumour but I'm not aware of the source.
I can see the ship is due in to Zeebrugge on 24 Sep but that is about it....
It arrives in Newark at 06:00 and departs at 20:00 same day - not enough time.
I remain unconvinced by this one at the moment....

Last edited:
For the people in Norway that are waiting...:

Tesla Norway told me that I will receive the car on 6 October, or maybe the end of September in Drammen, Norway.
Vessel Zeebrugge Drammen 2.png

Then I am guessing that my car is on one of the boats on the way to Zeebrugge now, for then be shipped on another boat to Drammen.

VIN: 5YJ3E7EB4LF771*** (Tesla M3 AWD Midnight Silver, White interior)

• Informative
Reactions: ricco404
For the people in Norway that are waiting...:

Tesla Norway told me that I will receive the car on 6 October, or maybe the end of September in Drammen, Norway.
View attachment 585468
Then I am guessing that my car is on one of the boats on the way to Zeebrugge now, for then be shipped on another boat to Drammen.

VIN: 5YJ3E7EB4LF771*** (Tesla M3 AWD Midnight Silver, White interior)
Looking at the webcam of Drammen docks there seems to be plenty there still.
The last shipment was delivered by train to Drammen from Zeebrugge.

Will ask, thanks. Are US headlights a problem?

They'll be set up for driving on the other side of the road. Normal headlights have a higher beam when dipped on the side with the verge, lighting it up better. This means you can see the side of the road further. However, if you reversed the pattern you would be dazzling oncoming traffic and have worse visibility of the verge. This is why if you go to Europe you need to use a beam blocker, to block the higher beam that points to the left. It can dazzle oncoming traffic.

You'll definitely want it fixed if you're unlucky and have the wrong headlights.