Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still completely staggered, even after following ships since Grand Mark at the start of Q1 this year, just how many vehicle units are disrupting “traditional” vehicle sales in the UK.

What Tesla have done / are doing is astonishing and totally unprecedented, they have taken a concept and rolled it out successfully in the face of overwhelming negative press/naysayers, highly complex shipping rosters that creates a whole machine of matching/delivery logistics and not least of all a global pandemic that we have never had to cope with before. They have just kept on fulfilling orders, the likely competitor brands in the UK must be doing their pieces over what they are seeing.

It’s a massive and exceptional thing that we’re witnessing, really amazing. Q3 delivery figures will be very high, they have to be.

The lease companies probably wouldn’t have survived without this one single model of car, that may sound overkill but what else are they selling even close to this volume in petrol or diesel models ? How many electric Minis have BMW or e-Niro’s have Kia shipped and delivered since Jan 20 ? Can’t be a significant number.

I can’t get my head round it. And you heard it all here first folks courtesy of our resident “Internet of Shipping”.

Bonkers.

Reactions: ABCTG
I am still completely staggered, even after following ships since Grand Mark at the start of Q1 this year, just how many vehicle units are disrupting “traditional” vehicle sales in the UK.

What Tesla have done / are doing is astonishing and totally unprecedented, they have taken a concept and rolled it out successfully in the face of overwhelming negative press/naysayers, highly complex shipping rosters that creates a whole machine of matching/delivery logistics and not least of all a global pandemic that we have never had to cope with before. They have just kept on fulfilling orders, the likely competitor brands in the UK must be doing their pieces over what they are seeing.

It’s a massive and exceptional thing that we’re witnessing, really amazing. Q3 delivery figures will be very high, they have to be.

The lease companies probably wouldn’t have survived without this one single model of car, that may sound overkill but what else are they selling even close to this volume in petrol or diesel models ? How many electric Minis have BMW or e-Niro’s have Kia shipped and delivered since Jan 20 ? Can’t be a significant number.

I can’t get my head round it. And you heard it all here first folks courtesy of our resident “Internet of Shipping”.

Bonkers.
You can see the UK car sales figures on the SMMT website.
Tesla is not a member and so comes under "Other Imports"

How many electric Minis have BMW or e-Niro’s have Kia shipped and delivered since Jan 20 ? Can’t be a significant number.

Bonkers.

Kia e-Niro was something I looked at before the Model 3. It was immediately out of the shortlist as the wait was some 6-9 months...

GLOVIS SIGMA To be absolutely honest, I'm not sure what is going on with the GLOVIS SIGMA at the moment. The problem is her proposed Southampton movements.

According to the Southampton port schedule she is due to anchor off the Isle of Wight on Monday afternoon and wait there until Thursday morning. Then move alongside the Eastern docks initially and then reposition to the Western docks later on Thursday afternoon. Teslas are unloaded in the Western docks. This is not what I would expect to see - something is not quite right here.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. Southampton will be so chokka with Teslas from the PLATINUM RAY that they need to delay the arrival of more cars until they have made space available. I can believe that.

2. She fully unloaded in Zeebrugge. There was a rumour that this would happen to allow the cars to have their headlights checked and replaced with EU spec lights if required. I can't vouch for the rumour - it came second hand. The UK cars would then be loaded on to the GLOVIS CLIPPER which should arrive in Southampton next Friday or next Saturday. Therefore the GLOVIS SIGMA visit to Southampton is not associated with Tesla. I can believe that. She is off to Singapore and China next and for that trip she was already scheduled to load in Southampton on Tuesday and Bremerhaven next Friday but is now running late.

Quite frankly, your guess is as good as mine.....

Whatever, it means that cars from the GLOVIS SIGMA will be delayed a couple of days.
If lack of space is the problem it doesn't bode well for GLOVIS CLIPPER which will pitch up possibly next Friday - I suspect her unloading may be delayed as well.
We shall see....

Last edited:
PLATINUM RAY She is now unloading (and refuelling) in Zeebrugge.
I’m expecting her to depart later tonight and to arrive in Southampton at 12:00 tomorrow.
Meanwhile not far away…

GLOVIS SIGMA She is dawdling offshore and will dock later today in Zeebrugge.
She is not due to depart Zeebrugge until early Monday morning.
See my earlier post about the concerns I have with her Southampton schedule.

GLOVIS CLIPPER She continues to maintain a stately 16kts across the Atlantic. Her midday position is shown on the chart below.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on Wednesday night, which is easily achievable. She is not due to depart until 14:00 on 17 Sep and so if she is coming to Southampton it will be on Friday 18 Sep. We should hopefully be able to confirm that tomorrow, however if Tesla congestion in Southampton is the reason that is delaying the GLOVIS SIGMA unloading then I suspect we may see some delay to GLOVIS CLIPPER’s unloading too.

Glovis Clipper Atlantic Progress.png

PPPPPPP
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Pxxx Poor Performance

The traditional end of quarter chaos is looming large….

GLOVIS SIGMA To be absolutely honest, I'm not sure what is going on with the GLOVIS SIGMA at the moment. The problem is her proposed Southampton movements.

According to the Southampton port schedule she is due to anchor off the Isle of Wight on Monday afternoon and wait there until Thursday morning. Then move alongside the Eastern docks initially and then reposition to the Western docks later on Thursday afternoon. Teslas are unloaded in the Western docks. This is not what I would expect to see - something is not quite right here.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. Southampton will be so chokka with Teslas from the PLATINUM RAY that they need to delay the arrival of more cars until they have made space available. I can believe that.

2. She fully unloaded in Zeebrugge. There was a rumour that this would happen to allow the cars to have their headlights checked and replaced with EU spec lights if required. I can't vouch for the rumour - it came second hand. The UK cars would then be loaded on to the GLOVIS CLIPPER which should arrive in Southampton next Friday or next Saturday. Therefore the GLOVIS SIGMA visit to Southampton is not associated with Tesla. I can believe that. She is off to Singapore and China next and for that trip she was already scheduled to load in Southampton on Tuesday and Bremerhaven next Friday but is now running late.

Quite frankly, your guess is as good as mine.....

Whatever, it means that cars from the GLOVIS SIGMA will be delayed a couple of days.
If lack of space is the problem it doesn't bode well for GLOVIS CLIPPER which will pitch up possibly next Friday - I suspect her unloading may be delayed as well.
We shall see....
MM - unsure if this helps. I got my invoice and paid for my car yesterday which is on the Sigma (apparently) - collection on Tuesday 22nd and she told me, all is on plan with delivery to location on Monday 21st and my collection 22nd. I asked could this move and she said, no it looks fine we have all weekend to get the cars here which is plenty of time....

I ordered an inventory car on 3 September and had a delivery date the following day. When ordering, it had the status "In transit" but not really sure how accurate that status actually is.
By then Sigma was on route. I did notice that the moment it was on the water they did put some as available stock on Tesla site. I don’t understand why they will not tell you. Do you have a VIN and if so they know I hope it is in the platinum ray. Looks like that will be earlier for you

Platimu
When did you order? I ordered 14th Aug and it is on Sigma

Try calling again, some people will some won’t. Multiple calls got me the ship, VIN and reg lol. 19th, to be fair sounds like Platinum Ray. I’m picking mine up on the 15th in Southampton, but originally had the 21st Sept in Dartford, which was the first date for Dartford off the ray. Hope that helps.

I gave up trying to get my ship to be honest. Ordered on the 28th August, got a VIN and delivery date (24th). Elected not to worry about anything else, except for reg, which I'll try to find out next week but ultimately don't need until the day of pickup. I've paid for my insurance with churchill based on its VIN, I can if necessary drive it straight home (and only home) on that without the plate even!