Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly there are cars destined for Europe on RCC ANTWERP.
What is interesting is that we may have revealed today how Tesla plan to ship cars from China to Europe in the future.
When you get your VIN allocated, possibly in the the next week, if it starts 5YJ it will probably be onboard the RCC ANTWERP but if it begins LRW please let us know because you will have one of the first cars exported from China. And that will be BIG news!
It will also start a whole new era of trainspotting!

Found someone on Twitter who saw a "LRW" VIN in the URL of the inventory in Germany. Has since been removed, so no more details than that... You can still see the 5.6s 0-100 time so it would be a Standard Range Plus. But sure seems like something is heading our way.

DONINGTON on it's way to South Korea.

I looked at the Panama Canal freight charges, it comes out to around $2 per M3 for a large RORO.

It is fascinating to see how industries with which you have no connection whatsoever work. It's kind of interesting to me that the Canal charges more per ton as the boat weight goes up. You would think that less water would be needed to fill the locks for higher displacement boats so it should be the other way around.

Found on Twitter (so don't rely on this for anything)

upload_2020-10-17_15-32-30.png

DONINGTON on it's way to South Korea.

I looked at the Panama Canal freight charges, it comes out to around $2 per M3 for a large RORO.

It is fascinating to see how industries with which you have no connection whatsoever work. It's kind of interesting to me that the Canal charges more per ton as the boat weight goes up. You would think that less water would be needed to fill the locks for higher displacement boats so it should be the other way around.
Yes I reported DONINGTON's departure from Portland here

$2 a car? I don't think so. More like $50 at a discount.

Shanghai seems to be the theme of the day and so I will continue with it.
TIRRANNA has arrived to load there. She is on a scheduled service and will arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Nov having stopped at about 7 ports along the way. Tesla would not normally use a scheduled service but charter a complete ship but this is 2020 and normal rules seem not to apply. I have made a diary reminder to note where she docks in Zeebrugge - that will give a good indication whether she has Tesla cargo onboard or not.
We shall see...

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42
Shanghai seems to be the theme of the day and so I will continue with it.
TIRRANNA has arrived to load there. She is on a scheduled service and will arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Nov having stopped at about 7 ports along the way. Tesla would not normally use a scheduled service but charter a complete ship but this is 2020 and normal rules seem not to apply. I have made a diary reminder to note where she docks in Zeebrugge - that will give a good indication whether she has Tesla cargo onboard or not.
We shall see...

I have zero knowledge on ports but the position of TIRRANNA in Shanghai seems relatively far away from GF3 + the parking places Tesla seems to be using (screen capture from this video):
Screenshot_20201018_055512.jpg

There is a vehicle carrier docked right next to the Nangang Wharf Parking Lot though, the AN JI 26. Is that one on your radar or does that seem to be unlikely?

So to continue with some Shanghai model 3 news; there have been some SR+ models added to the inventory in NL, so I've been able to look at the page source: All models have a LRW VIN, and where it says "Zeebrugge" as the transit terminal for all the long range models, there is a new "Trt" added: one with id 11926 and TrtName "LocationNotInAllLocationsCache" -- that's a dummy value, so it seems like a previously unused port?

There is one SR+ with LRW VIN, however, that is due at Zeebrugge! So might be multiple ships?

Last edited:
Do we know if these potentially "China made" model 3s coming for EU would be the "refreshed" 2021 versions?

According to the sales agents they are the old, non-refreshed models. Videos from GF3 also show old models rolling off the line. They probably have the LFP battery though, which in itself should give a small range increase (59kwh usable, better DoD so you can charge to 100% without impact on degradation)

Great thread, loads of information- I am leasing through lex auto lease and have an ETA stock date of 01.12.2020 for an SR+. Is there a chance it could be on RCC Antwerp? The lack of updates when leasing is frustrating to say the least- ordered end of July.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Great thread, loads of information- I am leasing through lex auto lease and have an ETA stock date of 01.12.2020 for an SR+. Is there a chance it could be on RCC Antwerp? The lack of updates when leasing is frustrating to say the least- ordered end of July.
That's an unusual wait for 2020. Ask your leasing company for the Tesla RN.(Reservation number) Leasing companies have been known to sit on orders so that they can consolidate them and I presume get some sort of discount. With an RN to quote you are likely to get more info from Tesla on the status of your car. Worth asking when the order was placed with them so that you can beat the leasing company with it if, as sounds likely, they sat on it.

That's an unusual wait for 2020. Ask your leasing company for the Tesla RN.(Reservation number) Leasing companies have been known to sit on orders so that they can consolidate them and I presume get some sort of discount. With an RN to quote you are likely to get more info from Tesla on the status of your car. Worth asking when the order was placed with them so that you can beat the leasing company with it if, as sounds likely, they sat on it.

Thank you for your help,existing lease car is due to go back on the 4.12.20 so I expect lex have ordered to coincide with the vehicle return date. I will live in the hope it’s on RCC Antwerp, gives me something to do whilst I wait :)