Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that TRITON ACE looks like she will complete her canal transit today I thought it timely to have a look at what she faces when she enters the Caribbean.
The first decision is to decide whether to enter the Atlantic from the Caribbean via the Windward Passage or the Mona Passage?
Caribbean.png

For TRITON ACE this is a no brainer, it has to be the Mona Passage because of Tropical Storm Eta being a menace to the western option and also because the Mona passage is the marginally shorter distance.
Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 14.07.31.png

Tropical Storm Eta looks likely to develop into a hurricane again (you will recall the same storm system was a hurricane when it hit Nicaragua last week and was responsible for the horrendous Tehuantepec winds that Triton Ace ploughed on through) and will menace Florida in the coming week. Importantly, once it has wreaked havoc there it will head off into the Atlantic where it may may meet TRITON ACE or GRAND AURORA depending on the timing. I'm hopeful that TRITON ACE will race ahead of it.
That's not to say it will be smooth sailing to the Mona Passage - you can see that there is some nasty weather bubbling up enroute that may develop into 'theta'.

Imagine if the ships could utilize the energy in the batteries in the cars for propulsion :p

Yes, let's do the maths!
The current engine is a 14000 kW engine.
Let's say there are 3500 cars onboard each with a fully charged 75kWh battery.
So the cars would power the ship for about 18 hours.
Back to the drawing board.......

Yes, let's do the maths!
The current engine is a 14000 kW engine.
Let's say there are 3500 cars onboard each with a fully charged 75kWh battery.
So the cars would power the ship for about 18 hours.
Back to the drawing board.......

Hehe , interesting ! Oh well :p

Not trying to be picky here, just curious: Does it run at 14000kW continously? or is that max peak power ?

I've just had a chat with a good source in California because I cannot see how GLOVIS CRYSTAL can make it to Pier 80 for early Tuesday morning if she is still in Vancouver - he will see if he can find out what is going on because he agrees that something is awry especially as RCC AMSTERDAM looks likely to arrive at Pier 80 on Wednesday.
He did confirm that it looks like GLOVIS SUMMIT will now depart on Monday evening.
He is back at work tomorrow so we won't find out soon...

Very unlikely to have a ship to Amsterdam. It happened last December but that was because of the tax change and the entire shipload was for the Dutch market.
Since then all Model 3's for NL have come via Zeebrugge to Koopman's in Westpoort(not by sea)
It's not unusual, Norway has their cars delivered from Zeebrugge to the docks at Drammen by rail.

Not so sure about that; next year there is the same reduction in Tax benefits as well in the Netherlands. Last year it went from 4 to 8% and the next year 2021 it will be reduced from 8 to 12% and the limit to get that benefit depends on the maximum fiscal value of the car; and that will be reduced from €50K to €45K. So that's why I choose to get my Lease-renewal this year instead op April 2021. This is exact the same situation as in December 2019, so my (uneducated) guess is that it's gonna be busy (again) in Amsterdam.

Reactions: ringi
Gatun Locks differ from the other locks in that the complete lift from the Caribbean to Gatun Lake is done in one set of locks with 3 chambers - a total height change of 85 feet.
(They didn't do the same, 3 chambers, at the Miraflores end because a geological fault line would have run through the top set of locks)
The photo below is taken from the middle chamber looking down towards the Caribbean.
It's difficult to get a sense of height from a photo...
Golden Eagle 076.JPG

Not so sure about that; next year there is the same reduction in Tax benefits as well in the Netherlands. Last year it went from 4 to 8% and the next year 2021 it will be reduced from 8 to 12% and the limit to get that benefit depends on the maximum fiscal value of the car; and that will be reduced from €50K to €45K. So that's why I choose to get my Lease-renewal this year instead op April 2021. This is exact the same situation as in December 2019, so my (uneducated) guess is that it's gonna be busy (again) in Amsterdam.
I am in the same boat as you on that subject! I hope they arrive in Amsterdam before Christmas or I loose the tax break and I potentially will not accept the car. Fingers crossed for Toscana!

I should have sat on my hands a little longer, my original estimate was spot on.
RCC ANTWERP will arrive in Southampton at 09:30 on 13 Nov.

Not sure where VTS Southampton get their data from or if they have their own register but also showing RCC Antwerp 13 Nov 9:30 and then a movement out of the way to the Eastern Dock 23:00. No departure showing yet so looks like most of at least one day unloading.
[URL='http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/']
http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/
[/URL]

That's the port booking. In Southampton it's a live and very accurate document.
She will unload her Tesla's in the Western docks (Tesla charter complete) and then move to the Eastern docks to load for Bremerhaven and Singapore. These ships are kept busy.

• Informative
Reactions: OrangeMikey