Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RCC ANTWERP is racing to the finish line at over 19kts
The latest position received was at 10:50 Z when her position was N48.8 W11.5
I expect her to appear on terrestrial trackers by 8pm tonight and she will arrive in Zeebrugge tomorrow.
Southampton on 13 Nov is now confirmed.

UPDATE: Position at 1156 N49.0 W10.9

RCC ANTWERP ATLANTIC PROGRESS.png

TRITON ACE She completed her canal transit yesterday and is now heading for the Mona Passage to enter the Atlantic.
She may encounter the odd isolated thunderstorm later today and tomorrow but otherwise the weather is fine.
There is however an area of significant weather in the Atlantic that TRITON ACE needs to keep an eye on. The area has caught the eye of meteorologists and has been given the name INVEST 97L. Already some are saying that this could be another hurricane forming. At midnight the storm was located about 1400nm NE of the Mona passage, so still some distance away.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov

Triton Carib.png

GRAND AURORA meanwhile is enjoying an uneventful passage towards the Panama Canal.
At midday Z she was at N15.4 W97.8 and maintaining 17kts.
She is on schedule to arrive at the Panama Canal on 12 Nov and the weather conditions continue to look good.
I have her pencilled in for Zeebrugge on 24 Nov and Southampton on 26/27 Nov.

You can still enter the free GRAND AURORA competition - Click HERE to enter!

Grand Aurora Pac Prog.png

TOSCANA No update to her position has been received.
Her position is estimated.
The weather in her area continues to look fine and I’m not anticipating any significant weather for her crossing of the Arabian Sea.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Toscana to Suez.png

TANNHAUSER continues southwards through the South China Sea and is making 13kts.
At midday she was at N15.5 E115.0
The Atsani storm has now been left behind but the seas remain high.
Tomorrow will see her coming under the influence of Tropical Storm Etau. This storm should have hit Vietnam by then but the seas will remain high.
She will arrive at Suez on 25 Nov and Zeebrugge of 6 Dec.

Tannhauser to Suez.png

GLOVIS SUMMIT is alongside Pier 80 but I have it from a couple of sources now that she will depart around 6pm local tonight. She hasn’t been alongside long enough to load fully which makes me think she is not coming to Europe. We’ll find out whether I’m wrong or not in a matter of hours. £10 to the RNLI if I’m wrong! (BTW My sources can’t find out the destination of the ship. People who do know have NDA’s in their employment contracts.)

GLOVIS CRYSTAL has now left Vancouver and will arrive alongside Pier 80 at 2pm on Tuesday. Lots of tinkering going on with her schedule but I still think she will be departing to Europe, probably on Friday.

RCC AMSTERDAM is currently enroute Benicia where she will arrive around this time tomorrow. After a quick unload in Benicia she will anchor up in the SF Bay tomorrow evening and wait until GLOVIS CRYSTAL departs which will probably be on Friday. Destination unknown at moment.

Mr M, what are the magenta coloured compass rings on the charts?

They look a bit like VOR nav-aids used in aviation.
They are a compass rose which is aligned to magnetic north so it makes it easy to measure a magnetic course. Whilst all charts show the local variation it's really useful to have it marked as a compass rose. All you have to remember is to make an allowance for the annual change. They are placed in an otherwise blank area. A VOR compass rose is centred precisely over the beacon so that you can easily read a radial from it.

EDIT: Actually looking at the chart in question I can see that in this case it's not indicating magnetic north! - Sod's Law. Anyway it's use is shown in this youtube vid.

Last edited:
I’m sorry if this is somewhere back in this thread, I’ve tried to search for it.

Are there any livecams for Zeebrugge port where we can watch?

also, I’ve talked to 2 Tesla employees who says the cars to Norway are going by ship. According to the one today, there are over 1000 cars heading for Norway. I read somewhere that these ships take around 3-4000 cars. Is it at all likely that they will send 1000 cars from Antwerp to Norway? I guess in that case, ship is far better than train.

RCC ANTWERP is just 130nm SW of Lands End at the moment.
It looks to me from her course that she will pick up at European pilot off Brixham in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
I mention it in case anyone gets concerned about where she is heading.

European pilot? Would love a Mr. Miserable informational short story on that.

Been looking for a webcam of the western docks in Southampton to no avail.

I was in Brixham, the week before last (csb).

Torbay is a bit of a cruise ship graveyard at the moment. Counted at least 10 of them just loitering off the coast.
It's not a graveyard - not yet anyway, those cruise ships can be brought back into service very quickly.
Although you can't see anything going on, there is lots of activity ensuring the cabins are aired, toilets and plumbing are regularly flushed, and other routine husbandry tasks. There will be about 100 crew on each ship keeping all the systems up and running. You will see the ships disappear out to sea for a day or two to run the engines and desalination plant and exercise the sewage system.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
It's not a graveyard - not yet anyway, those cruise ships can be brought back into service very quickly.
Although you can't see anything going on, there is lots of activity ensuring the cabins are aired, toilets and plumbing are regularly flushed, and other routine husbandry tasks. There will be about 100 crew on each ship keeping all the systems up and running. You will see the ships disappear out to sea for a day or two to run the engines and desalination plant and exercise the sewage system.

Crew of 100 per ship? Interesting, what is the normal compliment for the ships we're all tracking like hawks? I had assumed 10 people, seems I was well off!

Off topic I know but that's really interesting.
Crazy to have to invest that level of staffing - can't imagine that's sustainable well into next year considering the likelihood to the cruise industry ramping up again before mid to late next year at the very earliest.

We are 4 days away from anything arriving in Southampton - all in good time.

Article on Brixham pilots here

If you look at marinetraffic now, you can see that TRANQUIL ACE has swung by to pick up a pilot earlier.

Interesting but I wish I hadn't read that article now, I ended up here: Disasters at sea involving car carrier ships

Cougar Ace, Baltic Ace........and my M3P is on the Triton Ace. Fingers crossed they don't happen in three's! (especially for the crew obvs)

I
Interesting but I wish I hadn't read that article now, I ended up here: Disasters at sea involving car carrier ships

Cougar Ace, Baltic Ace........and my M3P is on the Triton Ace. Fingers crossed they don't happen in three's! (especially for the crew obvs)
I'll repeat a post of mine from a few weeks ago....

In Feb 19 the GOLDEN RAY docked at Pier 80 and loaded its precious Tesla cargo and departed for China.

This was a comparatively new ship entering service in 2017, benefitting from a modern bridge and all the advantages that modern computer technology can bring. Although like many other pure vehicle carriers she was 200 metres long she was a bit wider at just over 35 metres. That extra width allowed her to carry up to 7700 cars. She left Pier 80 on 13 Feb 19 and arrived safely in Shanghai on 1 Mar 19.

On 8 Sep 19 the GOLDEN RAY was leaving Brunswick, Georgia en route to Baltimore. She had onboard about 4500 Kia and Hyundai cars and as she entered the Atlantic she started to list. In an action reminscent of the HOEGH OSAKA incident in the Solent in Jan 2015, the local pilot immediately steered the vessel towards shallow water to prevent a total capsize. 23 crew members were rescued unharmed although for 3 of them trapped in the engine room with an uncontrolled fire it was a close run thing. The HOEGH OSAKA was refloated by the salvage company, subsequently repaired and quickly returned to service. That's not the case with the GOLDEN RAY - it's still at the mouth of the river, lying on it's side. It is being totally dismantled in situ.

The US NTSB has yet to report on the GOLDEN RAY accident but the UK Maritime Accident Investigation Branch has issued its report on the HOEGH OSAKA incident which is an interesting read.

Vehicle carriers do not have a good safety record. The accidents and incidents can be largely grouped into 2 different cause groups - Fire and Instability.

Let’s look at fires first of all. 5 major fires since January 2019 that I am aware of.

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died
March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay
May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days and was a total loss. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.

The other major issue with these ships is their stability or rather potential instability. Generally there are 2 reasons for stability issues the first of which is water ingress and the second is failing to ballast or trim the vessel properly. Ocasionally the latter leads to the former.
Typing the following incidents into a search engine will produce an eye-opening read.

Dec 02 TRICOLOR Enroute from Zeebrugge to Southampton sank following collision. Notoriously hit twice more by 2 different vessels.
Jul 06 COUGAR ACE Developed a severe list
Dec 12 BALTIC ACE 11 died following a collision
Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA Developed a severe lis
Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS Severe list
Sep 19 GOLDEN RAY Capsized

The American NTSB report on the GOLDEN RAY is yet to be published, however there were some hearings last month from which you can get a very good idea of what went on.