Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GRAND AURORA is now sitting at dock in Southampton and offloading its shipment, including mine (I believe).
I'd just like to say a last, huge thank you to @Mr Miserable for his excellent daily updates and informative commentary - it's been an exciting ride!
Also to the others who added additional nuance and little tips here and there. You know who you are.

I definitely second that. This site is the only thing that has made the wait bearable. Wouldn't have had a clue what was going on if relying on the lease company and Tesla only.

Thank you! I'm glad that the info is of interest and people find it helpful.
All I ask is for is that if I have helped in any way please consider using my referrals for Tesla, Octopus, SO energy, TeslaFi or even a straight donation to my GoFundMe account. DM me for details.
Every little helps to subsidise the expense of satellite tracking. If ever I get to a situation where there is a surplus I have a couple of enhancements up my sleeve which are mind-blowing! We are not there yet though....
I know only too well that waiting for a Tesla in Europe is incredibly frustrating especially compared to the slick pre-delivery updates from competitors. Just knowing roughly where you car is in the delivery chain is reassuring and also raises the level of anticipation as you watch your car slowly progress towards you, or not! Tesla reps must already be tiring of being told that "Mr Miserable says my car is stationary in the middle of the Atlantic".
Anyway just be assured that the wait is worthwhile - the car is simply amazing.

I don't track S or X and I don't imagine there will be a huge market for a Cybertruck over here - it's way too big for the Tesco car park.
Hadn't realised that you weren't on the S and X too, remember you mentioning that the go through Pearland/Houston but hadn't clocked that otherwise you were quiet on the subject. Have you had some "hobby-counselling" to figure out what to do with your time once Fremont stops sending us their 3s? And thanks again for all your efforts, much appreciated, and informative. I've learned about the Panama canal, Great Circle and rhumblines, Vehicle carriers, AIS, crossloading and much more. It's been an educational month! :)

Thank you! I'm glad that the info is of interest and people find it helpful.
All I ask is for is that if I have helped in any way please consider using my referrals for Tesla, Octopus, SO energy, TeslaFi or even a straight donation to my GoFundMe account. DM me for details.
Every little helps to subsidise the expense of satellite tracking. If ever I get to a situation where there is a surplus I have a couple of enhancements up my sleeve which are mind-blowing! We are not there yet though....
I know only too well that waiting for a Tesla in Europe is incredibly frustrating especially compared to the slick pre-delivery updates from competitors. Just knowing roughly where you car is in the delivery chain is reassuring and also raises the level of anticipation as you watch your car slowly progress towards you, or not! Tesla reps must already be tiring of being told that "Mr Miserable says my car is stationary in the middle of the Atlantic".
Anyway just be assured that the wait is worthwhile - the car is simply amazing.

Thank you Mr M for all the work you put in...the daily updates made the wait less frustrating.

• Love
Reactions: StevehConwy
GRAND AURORA finally arrived in Southampton yesterday evening. She is due to depart at 5 this evening

TANNHAUSER She is continuing to make excellent progress across the Bay of Biscay
She is presently about 100nm SW of Brest and is on track to arrive off Zeebrugge tomorrow
What is notable to me is that she has been allocated Kaai 530 for Zeebrugge.
This is a Wallnius Wilhelmsen dock and not an IOC dock.
This would normally indicate to me that she does not have Teslas on board.

Tannhauser Med Prog.png

GLOVIS CRYSTAL continues to sit more-or-less stationary about 200nm NW of the island of Flores in the Azores.
I say she is stationary but actually over the last 24hrs she has drifted 31nm further away from Zeebrugge!
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 8 Dec and so some more bobbing up and down on the spot is in store.
The weather looks like it will be a little rough as she approaches the English Channel on Sunday & Monday.
I would plan to leave her holding position tomorrow morning if I was her.

Crystal2 Atlantic.png

RCC AMSTERDAM continues to race towards Zeebrugge at over 19kts
Her track is slightly more northerly than other ‘Tesla’ ships in the past and so she passed about 120nm south of Titanic’s resting place about an hour ago.
The weather looks like it will be a little rough as she approaches the English Channel on Sunday & Monday.
ETA 8 Dec for Zeebrugge

Amsterdam Atlantic.png

GLOVIS SUN is currently in the Panama Canal.
As she clears Agua Clara locks later today she should update her AIS with her estimate for Zeebrugge. It will be interesting to see which route she takes into the Atlantic - earlier this year she chose the Windward Passage.
I estimate she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec however we may see her follow RCC AMSTERDAM’s example by engaging ludicrous mode across the Atlantic.

LYDDEN She is now enroute to Newark from Philly and is due to arrive there tomorrow evening and won’t start loading Teslas until early Saturday morning. I now estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec which will roughly coincide with the arrival of GLOVIS SUN.
I’m expecting a fast Atlantic crossing from her.

Enter the LYDDEN competition here.

Is it possible that one motivation for Glovis Chrystal hovering around could be potential damage to the cars due to waves / weather?
I said the other day that the holding in her current position would avoid some heavy weather - which it has.
The problem is that there will be some more rough weather in store for her as she routes to Zeebrugge - not show stoppingly rough just a little bumpy. My suggestion would be to leave tomorrow morning so that she doesn't have to go through that weather at speed. If she is early she can dawdle through the calmer waters of the English Channel. It's always better to be early than risk running late. No one would forgive her for being late after loitering for so long mid-Atlantic.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Is it possible that one motivation for Glovis Chrystal hovering around could be potential damage to the cars due to waves / weather?
Sorry, can't edit my previous post. Of course that's a motivation, but what I mean is that waves and weather correlate, but aren't the same. So, is wave height measured / monitored as a separate entity irt the weather and as such taken into consideration?

Sorry, can't edit my previous post. Of course that's a motivation, but what I mean is that waves and weather correlate, but aren't the same. So, is wave height measured / monitored as a separate entity irt the weather and as such taken into consideration?
Yes the swell can relate to a storm that happened a week ago on the other side of the Atlantic whereas the waves relate to the wind conditions in the immediate area. Accordingly they may not be travelling in the same direction. I'll dig out a post I did on this previously....

The science of forecasting wave heights is a complex one and is becoming more complex as more is learned about their formation and characteristics.
In short, waves are caused by wind, however there are a number of factors which determine their height and, equally important, their frequency. Wind speed is clearly a factor and essentially it is the wind strength relative to the existing wave speed. Additionally the width and length of the fetch ie how big an area over which the wind blows in a single direction, are big factors coupled with the depth of the water.

All these factors affect the characteristics of a wave:
  1. Wave height which is measured from the crest to the trough.
  2. Wave length which is measured from crest to crest.
  3. Wave frequency which is the time interval between crests over a single point.
All this makes perfect sense when you think about it - you can’t get 50ft waves in Coniston Water but you can see them in the Atlantic.
Studying wave behaviour gave rise to the Beaufort Scale where the windspeed at sea could be pretty accurately estimated from wave behaviour.
The trouble is that waves carry an enormous amount of energy and they can travel great distances.
That is when they become a swell - they travel so far they bear no relation to the local wind conditions. You may have a wonderful calm day in Cornwall but the beaches are being pounded by big Atlantic rollers - the swell created some time ago by a storm many miles away. (A Tsunami however is not a swell)

You can have the swell travelling in one direction (generally smooth topped waves) and wind waves (peaked) travelling in another.
A cape can cause treacherously confused sea conditions as differing swells collide at different angles from the prevailing wind waves.
Only recently have scientists admitted to the existence of rogue waves, where waves combine to produce monster waves which have long been known about by mariners. For years, scientists relied on a recognised formula to compute the size of waves and there is a maximum wave size in this formula which many mariners argued was too small compared to the reality.
It’s very difficult for a simple mariner to argue against a boffin with a slide rule. I have personal knowledge of this when giving evidence as to the size of waves one stormy night many years ago when a man was lost overboard from a nearby vessel. My evidence (and those of others in the same area of the Baltic at the time) was described as an exaggeration by a university professor. I described it as a short sea (waves coming at a high frequency) interspersed with bigger waves at a much lower frequency (a swell). If they combined (perhaps once an hour) you got a monster wave that would break over the vessel easily washing someone outside on a deck overboard. Anyway, I digress…

Forecasting wave heights has improved as they are now measured by satellite and computer models can be quickly adjusted to reflect actual conditions however, I don’t think the forecasting of swells per se has improved to the same degree.

We have all seen waves get larger as they approach a shore and so measurement of wave height can get complicated.
At the end of October a Briton applied to Guinness World Records for the title for the largest wave surfed, a monster over 80’ high off Portugal. This will probably come down to how the height of the wave is measured. For surfing, one method involves standing on the beach looking out to sea and another method takes an opposite view looking towards the beach from the sea. The large difference between the two methods is the trough size which is larger on the advancing side as the wave approaches the shore.

Hi Guys, can give u an impression, what happened, when "Toscana" had reached Zeebrugge. First she had unload
directly behind "Grand Aurora" for ca. 60h (Pier 509), then she changed to other side and stay there for ca. 36h.(Pier 532)
The left side is the "Standard-Pier" of Tesla.

ZEE_Pier.PNG

In the Shipping-List of Zeebrugge, "Tannhauser" is listed with following Infos: Pier 530 would be at the right side behind "Toscana".

Tann.PNG

Greets and hope that info is helpful for u ...