Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily summary was late yesterday and so today I thought I would be a little early....

GLOVIS CRYSTAL arrived alongside Southampton earlier this morning

RCC AMSTERDAM departed Zeebrugge this morning enroute to Southampton where she will arrive off later tonight.
This is a little odd as at the moment Southampton are not expecting her until early Tuesday morning.
Hopefully, there may be an opportunity for her to dock before then, but it's not looking good. I can see a couple of Grimaldi ships already in the queue waiting for GLOVIS CRYSTAL to depart.
It may also depend on whether there is space available to park her cars - I suspect not since GLOVIS CRYSTAL will have just filled the allocated spaces. Tesla need to create space in Southampton by shifting some cars from there quickly!
The port of Southampton may offer some extra space but it will not come cheap.

LYDDEN is continuing her fast transit. She is about 200nm NE of the Azores and continuing to maintain 18kts.
She has just changed on to a NE’ly course towards the English Channel. She will have taken a much longer route in terms of distance but will have avoided the worst of the weather and resulted in a shorter route timewise.
Her AIS is showing that she aims to arrive in Amsterdam at 0900 on 14 Dec - a very ambitious ETA, although the Port of Amsterdam has her arriving at 1345 on 14 Dec. Surprisingly, at the moment she remains on track to achieve the former.

Lydden Atlantic.png

GLOVIS SUN remains stationary SW of the Azores and I do not know why.
It will come as no surprise that her current estimate for Zeebrugge of 1300 on 15 Dec is now out of the window.
The situation is even more bizarre because she has been joined by another car carrier ELEGANT ACE doing exactly the same thing 20nm away from her.

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Dec 20.png

My daily summary was late yesterday and so today I thought I would be a little early....

GLOVIS CRYSTAL arrived alongside Southampton earlier this morning

RCC AMSTERDAM departed Zeebrugge this morning enroute to Southampton where she will arrive off later tonight.
This is a little odd as at the moment Southampton are not expecting her until early Tuesday morning.
Hopefully, there may be an opportunity for her to dock before then, but it's not looking good. I can see a couple of Grimaldi ships already in the queue waiting for GLOVIS CRYSTAL to depart.
It may also depend on whether there is space available to park her cars - I suspect not since GLOVIS CRYSTAL will have just filled the allocated spaces. Tesla need to create space in Southampton by shifting some cars from there quickly!
The port of Southampton may offer some extra space but it will not come cheap.

LYDDEN is continuing her fast transit. She is about 200nm NE of the Azores and continuing to maintain 18kts.
She has just changed on to a NE’ly course towards the English Channel. She will have taken a much longer route in terms of distance but will have avoided the worst of the weather and resulted in a shorter route timewise.
Her AIS is showing that she aims to arrive in Amsterdam at 0900 on 14 Dec - a very ambitious ETA, although the Port of Amsterdam has her arriving at 1345 on 14 Dec. Surprisingly, at the moment she remains on track to achieve the former.

View attachment 616564

GLOVIS SUN remains stationary SW of the Azores and I do not know why.
It will come as no surprise that her current estimate for Zeebrugge of 1300 on 15 Dec is now out of the window.
The situation is even more bizarre because she has been joined by another car carrier ELEGANT ACE doing exactly the same thing 20nm away from her.

View attachment 616565

Thanks for the great update again!

My car is confirmed on Glovis Sun and I was very happy to get a delivery date on 23rd Dec. Even though I have to drive 1,5 hours (times two) to pick it up. Now it is most likely going to be in the next week, which is almost impossible for me to get time off work due to year end :(

I really wish Tesla was as transparant as your posts on the transport procedure (and even more on the allocation procedure which makes no sense).

Is Glovis Sun going from Zeebrugge to Amsterdam? Or will the cars be transported differently from Zeebrugge? I would ask this in the other thread but I simply never get a response, due to only people from Norway responding :p (no offense)

• Funny
Reactions: OttoR
Thanks for the great update again!

My car is confirmed on Glovis Sun and I was very happy to get a delivery date on 23rd Dec. Even though I have to drive 1,5 hours (times two) to pick it up. Now it is most likely going to be in the next week, which is almost impossible for me to get time off work due to year end :(

I really wish Tesla was as transparant as your posts on the transport procedure (and even more on the allocation procedure which makes no sense).

Is Glovis Sun going from Zeebrugge to Amsterdam? Or will the cars be transported differently from Zeebrugge? I would ask this in the other thread but I simply never get a response, due to only people from Norway responding :p (no offense)
The problem with having more information is that you may find out stuff you don't really want to know - ignorance is bliss.
There are hundreds of folk waiting for cars that are on the GLOVIS SUN that are oblivious to the fact that their car is currently bobbing up and down stationary in the middle of Atlantic. At the moment Tesla will be confident that they can deliver on 23 Dec. That may change if the bobbing continues but rest assured Tesla will really want you take delivery before the end of the quarter and so they may offer home delivery if you can't get to them.

• Funny
Reactions: StevehConwy
The only reason could be a search. I mean, why should another RoRo stay with them when they loose their time. We can only guess at the moment.. hopefully we see later an update or at least tomorrow..
Not likely to be a search - it's been over 24hrs now and warships and maritime patrol aircraft would have taken over. Additionally no other shipping seem to be involved - just 2 car carriers. Bizarre.

Mr. Miserable. Do you have any update on the position of the Safmarine Mafadi ? My pickup is still scheduled for next friday 18 december but until now still no vin and my sec still can't tell me on what ship my car is on.

I was assuming it would be on the Maersk Ohio that arrive last monday but I'm now assuming it will be on the Safmarine Mafadi that is about to arrive in Antwerp tomorrow and Rotterdam on monday. So it will be rather a rush delivery if the ships unloads on monday / tuesday, get the car to Tilburg for assembly and get in back to Belgium by friday but I assume that's the normal way of doing business :)

Allright, just received my text message. Delivery is scheduled for next saturday 19/12. Big shout out to Mr. Miserable for providing the updates to keep waiting more enjoyable. And good luck to everyone still waiting for their car to be delivered before the end of the year.

I believe car carriers can carry around 5000 cars. Would these all be Tesla’s or would that be a mix? (I guess import of other US cars into Europe is quite low). How many of these cars per ship would ended up in the UK? 200? 1000?

I am trying to figure out how many trucks they would need. I think a normal car trailer can pack 8 (?) cars. For 200 cars we would need 25 trucks, for 1000 it would be 125 trucks. That works be quite an operation.

My car was unloaded today but I will only be able to pick it up from Thorpe Park on the 22nd. I wonder what they do with it the whole time. Does it really take so long to distribute them here in UK?